How is the map generation going?

General discussion and socializing.

Re: How is the map generation going?

Postby overtyped » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:48 am

abt79 wrote:
Redlaw wrote:Can we get salt flats, seas, and mine salt? I think it be an added good option for food and so forth.

I still want seas for whaling, massive whaling ships that function like mobile greathalls and allow for week-long whaling voyages with awesome rewards (ie oil) would be gr8.

no
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby abt79 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:51 am

overtyped wrote:
abt79 wrote:
Redlaw wrote:Can we get salt flats, seas, and mine salt? I think it be an added good option for food and so forth.

I still want seas for whaling, massive whaling ships that function like mobile greathalls and allow for week-long whaling voyages with awesome rewards (ie oil) would be gr8.

no

Ynot, scared that players would be too busy out at sea to get rage alt ganked, or just too lily-livered to be a proper pirate?
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
abt79

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:23 am

abt79 wrote:Ynot, scared that players would be too busy out at sea to get rage alt ganked, or just too lily-livered to be a proper pirate?

This isn't pirate simulator, seas would be boring as all fuck without a ton of content that's pretty out of place.
DDDsDD999

Postby iamclothier » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:30 am

Would be nice if they could add a bit of tropical stuff :/ coconuts and the likes. Tropical biomes or anything related :/
I have vague memories of tying a woman up and throwing her in a dungeon.
iamclothier

Postby smileyguy4you » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:42 am

i love how ppl who want to pvp all the time seem to believe they have the higher ground here, I enjoy the threat of players attacking and that threat is always there, but the constant trolling and pestering from the pvpers who bot their way with combat alts is not the game that was intend imo or the one i want, plz keep the map the size it is, that way those that want to pvp can and those that dont, dont need to stay in the middle of the map and use time as a deterrent to the low attention span pvpers who dont want to walk far, but still have to deal with other villages even some hours out and those politics but not the trolly murderers that plagued old haven and the central grids this world. This helps to promote trade routes and politics and not the trashing of every village other than the mega ones that happened in the past
smileyguy4you

Postby NeoBasilisk » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:35 am

smileyguy4you wrote:i love how ppl who want to pvp all the time seem to believe they have the higher ground here, I enjoy the threat of players attacking and that threat is always there, but the constant trolling and pestering from the pvpers who bot their way with combat alts is not the game that was intend imo or the one i want, plz keep the map the size it is, that way those that want to pvp can and those that dont, dont need to stay in the middle of the map and use time as a deterrent to the low attention span pvpers who dont want to walk far, but still have to deal with other villages even some hours out and those politics but not the trolly murderers that plagued old haven and the central grids this world. This helps to promote trade routes and politics and not the trashing of every village other than the mega ones that happened in the past

they have to complain loudly to convince themselves that they're not a small fraction of the playerbase
NeoBasilisk

Postby overtyped » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:46 am

smileyguy4you wrote:i love how ppl who want to pvp all the time seem to believe they have the higher ground here, I enjoy the threat of players attacking and that threat is always there, but the constant trolling and pestering from the pvpers who bot their way with combat alts is not the game that was intend imo or the one i want, plz keep the map the size it is, that way those that want to pvp can and those that dont, dont need to stay in the middle of the map and use time as a deterrent to the low attention span pvpers who dont want to walk far, but still have to deal with other villages even some hours out and those politics but not the trolly murderers that plagued old haven and the central grids this world. This helps to promote trade routes and politics and not the trashing of every village other than the mega ones that happened in the past

Dole thinks the map should be 1/3 the size it is now. Even at that size it's still retardedly large.
overtyped

Postby overtyped » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:49 am

loftar wrote:
loftar wrote:
overtyped wrote:hey loftar, answer us you coward!

I'm sure you can see that, even in the event that we were planning to reset the map tomorrow, I couldn't very well let a word slip to suggest such a thing. Even mentioning that I was so much as looking at the mapgen code would probably make people flip out. :)

So yeah, I could have said the exact same thing even if we weren't planning for a reset, and yet people have revealed in the announcement thread that this statement alone made the suspect things. :)

Anyway, now that the cat is out of the proverbial bag, here is a little sample of how the generated river systems currently look, scaled out to a level of 5 tiles/pixel.

My main source of doubt right now as that there may be a case to be made to try and avoid "islands" a bit more. I could perhaps do this by trying to detect river loops and avoid generating them. It could also possibly be done by generating more fords (there are actually quite many fords as it is; it's just a bit difficult to see at the 5 t/p scale). It may also be completely unnecessary and that it's fine as it is. Not entirely sure.

This is why Dole worships loftar. He is a god that listens to the prayers of his followers.
Jorb should be cast from heaven and rot with our kind.
overtyped

Postby smileyguy4you » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:54 am

overtyped wrote:

Dole thinks the map should be 1/3 the size it is now. Even at that size it's still retardedly large.

horses and once they are tameable make that size tiny, the size it is is easily navigable with a horse and even without, it makes the need for roads/tunnels/trade hubs more useful and I for one was developing that to trade with other villages i'd met 3+ hours away, the time this world has been in existence was not long enough to prove alot of those needs for a world this size.
smileyguy4you

Postby overtyped » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:56 am

smileyguy4you wrote:horses and once they are tameable make that size tiny, the size it is is easily navigable with a horse and even without, it makes the need for roads/tunnels/trade hubs more useful and I for one was developing that to trade with other villages i'd met 3+ hours away, the time this world has been in existence was not long enough to prove alot of those needs for a world this size.

If this game was much more popular than it was, then yeah, but currently the size is just ridiculous in my opinion, for the amount of people playing.
overtyped

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar