How is the map generation going?

General discussion and socializing.

Re: How is the map generation going?

Postby jordancoles » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:52 am

loftar wrote:
jordancoles wrote:Hey Loftar, would it be possible to get some more enclosed ponds of water that aren't on mountains and super uneven terrains?

By "enclosed ponds", do you simply refer to small lakes? In that case, I hadn't really though of it, but it might not be a bad idea. I'll consider it.

Here's one that I setup

I love these little enclosed bodies of water, they're just impractical to build around atm because of the weird elevations around them
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Potjeh » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:30 am

Can you scale up one or two rivers to epic proportions? I want a Rhine in H&H.

Also, while these rivers do look more coherent and connected, they still look nothing like real rivers. Can't you find an algorithm that generates more dendritic shapes?
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Vaku » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:33 am

Potjeh wrote:Can you scale up one or two rivers to epic proportions? I want a Rhine in H&H.

Also, while these rivers do look more coherent and connected, they still look nothing like real rivers. Can't you find an algorithm that generates more dendritic shapes?

This, and can their origins be from areas with higher elevation?
Image Smell of Arrogance
Vaku

Postby Kalacia » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:50 pm

id like to hermit by a cute little pond.

I never even considered that. Would be so awesome to do a day in the life.
Kalacia

Postby Shadow7168 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:17 pm

Huh, all the lakes I've seen have been flatter than the nearby terrain. Might just be my luck though.

I'd personally like to see some unique structures around to give people incentive to build around them. Stuff like sacred trees, or construction sites for really big buildings.
Potjeh wrote:They're using swords as throwing weapons now? Damn cheaters!

MagicManICT wrote:Most raiders aren't into choking another man's chicken. They can do some pretty gay shit, but that's usually the line.
Shadow7168

Postby Vaku » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:24 pm

Shadow7168 wrote:I'd personally like to see some unique structures around to give people incentive to build around them. Stuff like sacred trees, or construction sites for really big buildings.

Wow, I'd love that.

That exists in the way of statues from previous worlds, and the Ring of Brodgar, but other and more common, yet still finite landmarks would be lots of fun to scour for and build around.
Image Smell of Arrogance
Vaku

Postby loftar » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:40 pm

Shadow7168 wrote:I'd personally like to see some unique structures around to give people incentive to build around them. Stuff like sacred trees, or construction sites for really big buildings.

Without giving too much information, something quite akin to that is among the reasons we are doing this reset.

Potjeh wrote:Can you scale up one or two rivers to epic proportions? I want a Rhine in H&H.

Not that any Rhine is among them, but some of the rivers in the test image are quite broad; keep in mind, again, that it is at a scale of 5 tiles/pixel. I'd also enjoy more realistic rivers, but there are a number of issues with it that makes it a bit difficult, at least. Also, keep in mind that the dendritic form of rivers is mostly suitable to mountainous regions; it is my experience, at least, that lowland regions have water streams more akin to those I'm currently generating.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby abt79 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:49 pm

loftar wrote:

Without giving too much information, something quite akin to that is among the reasons we are doing this reset.

:o

Yay yay yay
abt79

Postby CSPAN » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:52 pm

loftar wrote:Without giving too much information, something quite akin to that is among the reasons we are doing this reset.

HYPE HYPE HYPE
LS of Twin Lakes BIG TRUCKS
CSPAN

Postby Potjeh » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:56 am

loftar wrote:Also, keep in mind that the dendritic form of rivers is mostly suitable to mountainous regions; it is my experience, at least, that lowland regions have water streams more akin to those I'm currently generating.

Well you have mountains right in the middle of that map :P

But seriously, the rivers still seem a bit too numerous and too short. Also they seem to be generated with very little regard to lakes. IMO it'd look best if you spawned a bunch of lakes first and then ran dendrites from them if that's at all possible with seamless infinite terrain. Out of curiosity, how does your mapgen actually work, in broad strokes?

*edit* It'd be also nice if there were just a few big lakes and a bunch of tiny ones, rather than all those moderately sized ones. In general you should aim to make waterways rarer, to encourage player clustering.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar