This community is exactly why P2P was implemented.

General discussion and socializing.

Re: This community is exactly why P2P was implemented.

Postby Granger » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:46 pm

Jesus_Smith_Nandez wrote:Jezz loise Jorbtar just make your fucking game a 20$ single purchase with a demo and stop being arrogent about what your game is worth. The wole appeal of old Haven came with that it was a super neat idea and was free. A neat idea is worth 20$, not a subscription.

Haven as a game lends itself much better to a single purchase anyway. I don't want to be buying a months worth of game time to refill curios and see if anything interesting happened every few days. At that point I'd just quit, because the sub is no longer worth it.

I just picked your post, nothing personal.

ONE TIME PURCHASE DOES NOT WORK FOR ONLINE GAMES

Get it into your heads guys, you can ask for it until your head explodes, but it will not happen.

One-Time-Payment would be a road to desaster. Sure, Jorb and Loftar would be happy a while, but the money will run out eventually, then the server is shut down and you would have NOTHING. Since it wouldn't be a sustainable business model this would be the unescapeable conclusion.

In case you need to vent a bit more, feel free to do so (please barring personal insults).
But it won't help, since your goal of one-time payment is nonexistant.

Because Jorb and Loftar don't go the greedy road (then you would see one-time for quick cash or Pay2Win shop for continued rip-off).
Because they repeatedly stated that it isn't a business model that they will follow.
Because they can't in good conciousness.
Because it is not sustainable.

So get over it, move on.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:00 pm

It actually worked for Guild Wars, and GW 2 has done the same thing. The Diablo games (granted they're not an MMO) have worked this way, and the latest, Diablo 3, is entirely online, even for single player games, so that means a lot of server resources to at least connect players and manage data storage. There are several others out there, too, that it has worked for. Perpetuum is an MMO (an EVE copy some would say) and they now only charge a flat fee with some bonuses being optional. (extra skill points per month with a sub at least; not sure on other purchasable bonuses). I understand that the company is doing better after moving to this model from a sub based game than previously.

it works. It doesnt' work for all, and if you only ever sell 5000 copies at "launch" and never sell another copy, you will eventually run out of money. However, look at how new people still trickle into Haven even after the initial opening of the server in 2009.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby burgingham » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:14 pm

Well those games deliver big content updates for a price though. So in the end you get a similar outcome. Either you pay continuously and get updates every other week. Or you pay for each huge update every few months.
burgingham

Postby czaper2 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:23 pm

MagicManICT wrote:However, look at how new people still trickle into Haven even after the initial opening of the server in 2009.

I'd like to think I'm not the only one who sailed in on the GREAT FLOOD.

Probably a dumb question, but someone has mailed him right? 770k views on his last video, be stupid to miss out on that exposure.
czaper2

Postby Lupich » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:01 pm

czaper2 wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:However, look at how new people still trickle into Haven even after the initial opening of the server in 2009.

I'd like to think I'm not the only one who sailed in on the GREAT FLOOD.

Probably a dumb question, but someone has mailed him right? 770k views on his last video, be stupid to miss out on that exposure.

2013 was a great flood? LOL.
Lupich

Postby Jesus_Smith_Nandez » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:10 pm

Granger wrote:ONE TIME PURCHASE DOES NOT WORK FOR ONLINE GAMES

Rust, DayZ, HoN, most online shooters like CS:GO and TF2, Warcraft III if you want to go that far back. It does work, and your statement is wrong, but I see how HnH might be different because it's less accessible and gets less players. That doesn't excuse an arrogant subscription system that drives people away though. A vanity shop would also help keep some steady income.
Granger wrote:So get over it, move on.

No. I'll keep it up long after it's accepted, after everyone on these forums including me pays the sub. It's a stupid idea and I hate it.
HnH Videos
God bless
Jesus_Smith_Nandez

Postby Grable » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:23 pm

Granger wrote:I just picked your post, nothing personal.

ONE TIME PURCHASE DOES NOT WORK FOR ONLINE GAMES

Get it into your heads guys, you can ask for it until your head explodes, but it will not happen.

One-Time-Payment would be a road to desaster. Sure, Jorb and Loftar would be happy a while, but the money will run out eventually, then the server is shut down and you would have NOTHING. Since it wouldn't be a sustainable business model this would be the unescapeable conclusion.

In case you need to vent a bit more, feel free to do so (please barring personal insults).
But it won't help, since your goal of one-time payment is nonexistant.

Because Jorb and Loftar don't go the greedy road (then you would see one-time for quick cash or Pay2Win shop for continued rip-off).
Because they repeatedly stated that it isn't a business model that they will follow.
Because they can't in good conciousness.
Because it is not sustainable.

So get over it, move on.

One time purchase might not work well, but there's plenty of other, much better monetization models than subscription in 2015.
Grable

Postby Russaria » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:02 am

Jesus_Smith_Nandez wrote:
Granger wrote:ONE TIME PURCHASE DOES NOT WORK FOR ONLINE GAMES

Rust, DayZ, HoN, most online shooters like CS:GO and TF2, Warcraft III if you want to go that far back. It does work, and your statement is wrong, but I see how HnH might be different because it's less accessible and gets less players. That doesn't excuse an arrogant subscription system that drives people away though. A vanity shop would also help keep some steady income.
Granger wrote:So get over it, move on.

No. I'll keep it up long after it's accepted, after everyone on these forums including me pays the sub. It's a stupid idea and I hate it.

Amen to that, and the list is a hell of a lot longer than that across many genres. What he meant to say was "this is way WE want it and that's the way it will be"...the lies about it not working is just that. a justification for their attempt at getting their desires accepted as fact. When it actually is not. Also, it has always been a "thing" in this game or shall I say community forum, that a small circle are intellectually superior while the "majority masses" are just noobs and "Don't understand". Hence his post being so concrete as if everyone is too stupid to have either played other games or capable of looking the question up.
O bhr bhuva sva
Tat savitur vareya
Bhargo devasya dhmahi
dhiyo yo na pracodayt
Russaria

Previous

Return to The Inn of Brodgar