Server Status Thread

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Server Status Thread

Postby loftar » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:01 pm

loftar wrote:The reason why the server was suddenly gone seems to be that the OOM-killer reaped it, but it's quite unclear why, because its output doesn't actually seem to indicate that the system was anywhere near out of memory.

It does seem that the server was functionally dead about 20 minutes prior to that, though, which (since it didn't send me a crash report) probably means it was stuck in some infinite loop. If it were allocating memory as part of that loop, that would explain why the OOM-killer offed it, so I'm probably just misinterpreting said output. That of course leaves the question of what kind of loop that was, though, which I can't really see now that it's dead. I'll probably at least want to implement some sort of pre-OOM failsafe to make the server crash properly if this happens again.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Xanther » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:04 pm

loftar wrote:
loftar wrote:The reason why the server was suddenly gone seems to be that the OOM-killer reaped it, but it's quite unclear why, because its output doesn't actually seem to indicate that the system was anywhere near out of memory.

It does seem that the server was functionally dead about 20 minutes prior to that, though, which (since it didn't send me a crash report) probably means it was stuck in some infinite loop. If it were allocating memory as part of that loop, that would explain why the OOM-killer offed it, so I'm probably just misinterpreting said output. That of course leaves the question of what kind of loop that was, though, which I can't really see now that it's dead. I'll probably at least want to implement some sort of pre-OOM failsafe to make the server crash properly if this happens again.

Thanks for the intel and the responses!

Do you have an eta on when you think the server may come back up?
Xanther

Postby vatas » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:11 pm

I was definitely in a weird state for couple minutes. Couldn't move of course, but not even close a window for lore event. Kept checking webpage and it showed server was up, making me suspect I had some weird problem at my part, but the fact that all my 4 clients were affected made the server issue seem rather obvious. I saw other people report crash in Discord and webpage changed to "server has crashed."
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Artemiswhb » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:36 pm

Odd, I'm still logged into the game somehow? I'm stuck on the character select screen though. :?
Artemiswhb

Postby loftar » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:39 pm

Artemiswhb wrote:Odd, I'm still logged into the game somehow? I'm stuck on the character select screen though. :?

Well, when the server dies, it can't really tell the clients that they are in fact logged out.
loftar

Postby flashshark » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:40 pm

Artemiswhb wrote:Odd, I'm still logged into the game somehow? I'm stuck on the character select screen though. :?

You're not logged in, you just see the last information the server has sent to you and there is probably no function in the client to check periodically if the server is still sending information back, to kick you to the login screen if it's not.

Same happens if the server crashes while you're in game, your character gets stuck in one place and nothing moves.
flashshark

Postby loftar » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:41 pm

There, it should be up and running again, with a couple of failsafes in place.

I'm really terribly sorry about the rollback, I really wish there were something I could do about it.
loftar

Postby Vegan420 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:44 pm

loftar wrote:There, it should be up and running again, with a couple of failsafes in place.

I'm really terribly sorry about the rollback, I really wish there were something I could do about it.

Thanks
Vegan420

Postby fatfunnyvalentine » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:02 pm

loftar wrote:There, it should be up and running again, with a couple of failsafes in place.

The rollbacks are harsh :( My character was riding a horse when it happened - horse is no where to be found. No big deal.

However, logging in it said my character's "bed" was blocked, and to return to my hearthfire. I click yes because it's how I'd log in. It send me across the world to a new hearthfire, and my old one is still lit. Destroyed hearth, now it says I have no hearth. At least I'm on the same continent.
fatfunnyvalentine

Postby loftar » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:05 pm

fatfunnyvalentine wrote:The rollbacks are harsh :(

I know, they really suck. On a positive future note, the scheme that I'm considering for server parallelization would also entail an almost complete fix for rollbacks.
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar