Old Haven

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Old Haven

Postby Gordon » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:08 pm

I'm pretty sure the new haven is going to be great later. Just give it some time.
Gordon

Postby Ozzy123 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:11 pm

jorb wrote:
Ozzy123 wrote:salem is better than new Haven

Why?

I can't tell you extacly why. I've been just having more fun playing salem than playing this new game, I subscribed for 2 months, played with my good friends for these 2 months but all of us quit, hunting, getting stats, fighting people, none of these was as fun as doing the same in salem or in legacy haven. I know that you would like to hear some direct opinions but I'm just a gamer, I played a lot of games in my life and all I can tell you that legacy haven was the best one and hafen is okay but just doesnt give me enough fun and rewards to keep playing it.

@to the guy saying about fps - I have 60+ in Hafen all the time so thats not it.
Last edited by Ozzy123 on Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
epicbuds wrote:just got this game a bad review on my website and will post on every forum and game page i can think of to tell people to stay away from this site this game is a joke

viruseg wrote:Kill all new players for no reason. Polish scum came running and killed me with a crowd. Suck fuck fucks..
Ozzy123

Postby Pan_w_okularach » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:11 pm

Old Haven had a much better combat system. Fact.
Memories of pain
Pan_w_okularach

Postby Ozzy123 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:14 pm

Pan_w_okularach wrote:Old Haven had a much better combat system. Fact.

Yeah babmek is right, it was bugged as hell but it made it perfect, on land everyone was equal, If you had higher stats - you had higher chances to win a fight but if someone was a good warrior and knew tricks he could win even if he had lower stats, If someone wanted just to run and survive, he was given an opportunity. Daaamn im having such an nostalgia attack right now.
epicbuds wrote:just got this game a bad review on my website and will post on every forum and game page i can think of to tell people to stay away from this site this game is a joke

viruseg wrote:Kill all new players for no reason. Polish scum came running and killed me with a crowd. Suck fuck fucks..
Ozzy123

Postby Pan_w_okularach » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:15 pm

i meant the w6 combat noob
Memories of pain
Pan_w_okularach

Postby Ozzy123 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:16 pm

Pan_w_okularach wrote:i meant the w6 combat noob

Oh, w6 combat actually sucked ass.

btw, im still alive in hafen - wasn't expecting that after killing some noobs with hf outside :D

Ozzy123

Postby strpk0 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:21 pm

Just his personal opinion lol. Don't take it as if salem is just straight up "better" than haven.

I think salem is retarded as it currently stands because of it's amount of dumb shoehorned mechanics and doesn't even hold a candle to legacy haven or new haven for that matter.

As for the Legacy Haven > New haven thing, the only thing that (personally) stops me from playing more often is having that feeling that my playtime is limited (to 7 hours weekly). I know you guys would prefer to make some money and that's ok, but this is the number 1 reason why I don't invest too much time into my village, nor my characters for that matter. I feel like everything I do is simply draining my playtime, and also like the only way to even come close to remotely enjoying the game is to have a bunch of alts to get around the playtime thing. I realize now how much I enjoyed playing without a care in the world for anything, and being able to spend hours trying to find bugs or just in general doing any derpy shit that I felt like doing at the time. Nowadays with the limited playtime it feels like I have to spend it doing something to progress in some way, and this limits how much I can enjoy the game.
And yeah, you could say I could just stop being such a whiny person and just pay for the subscription, but then again there's the problem that it feels like I have to make up for my investment, and wasting my time doing the dumb stuff I like to do wouldn't feel right anymore.

All of this probably makes no sense, but it's just the way I see things.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby Ozzy123 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:24 pm

It actually makes a lot of sense for me becouse for players like me and my friends, so guys from 18-20ish year old that don't get any money on their own paying 10$ which is about 40~ in polish currency is "something" well its not something that u can't afford but when I was playing I felt like "you have to do the farm or you will waste money! you have to go hunting now and grind stats, if you wont it will be a waste of the money you paid!"

Ozzy123

Postby lachlaan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:39 pm

Some honest salem comparison I can give is .. let's see :

I liked hunting more in Salem simply because the cheesing of animals, or the skill aspect of hunting was more fun, skill based indeed. Here it's have the stats or cheese really horribly with ai-pathing glitches and obstacles. Can't out run, can't dodge, you just need to get lucky with the right defenses and turn your char into a beefstick to face-slam against a bear. It's linear and not necessarily as fun as being a 50 stat muppet in salem trying to dance around a bear till your YB goes out, and should you kill it that way then kudos to you and it doesn't feel like cheesing at all.

The lack of arrow-key movement sometimes is a downside for me since there is so much crap to dodge that spam-clicking becomes a pain and sometimes i'd rather just dodge some trees and zigzag with arrow keys, though that might just be Salem nostalgia.

Foraging as of more recent updates is more relevant in Salem, mostly due to all the recipes requiring some odd ingredient or other, and there being less of an overwhelming advantage when only spamming domestic stuff. Consider current Salem gluttony mode vs current Hafen cheesefests + piefest. At higher substance everything is better than popping some berries for the variety bonus.

The diminishing returns Salem inspirationals had quite possibly did a better job of deterring the spam of good ones, than the current studying limitations do a good job of deterring spam of only crafted stuff. So you end up with people not going out for berries, not going out for fibres, not going out for curios, not going out for much. If given a choice (without a proper base and farming/animal husbandry industry atm) i'd almost always pick cooked domestic foods over most of the animal sausages for the simple reason that they have high hunger for their stats. Big bear banger sucks compared to most uncapped bear roasted cuts, and can perhaps only be used for 1 food out of a fep point gain.

For me personally, I think the prospect of building a hermit base is a lot more daunting in Hafen than in Salem. And the last base I did build in salem had me advancing quicker than I feel I am advancing now. I couldn't say if it's infrastructure that speeds it up, and how fast I can build that infrastructure, or simply the fact with a few items i can make an alt just as decent as my main (dem feasting sets), but I guess the inheritance thing will now make up for that :)

In terms of PvP, after getting rid of the shitty processor I pestered loftar about for ages, Salem played smoother than haven does now. To the point where I could outrun 2 raiders and outmaneuver them and feel like not a total useless lump of character. In Hafen I did outmaneuver DiS when they hit, but there is so much that can go wrong that is not within my control. All the terrain clipping and stuff with no keyboard strafing and path adjusting is painful more than anything else, and makes me personally feel not in control of my fate should I meet someone.

No braziers in hafen or any passive defenses means that there is literally no risk for a raider hitting a smaller player. They can be retarded past having the stats to break in and if you can't melee them to death that's that, all the skill it takes to raid is "eat eat steal eat break eat eat" :P Brazier crits and general drain in Salem at least made me respect raiders, here they just overwhelm with numbers, useless chars that they can feed new copies of asap on account of the whole botting piles upon piles of animals to spam cheesy goodness.

Mostly the atmosphere, and the way it's tweaked doesn't appeal to my explorer senses quite as much. I hoard some useful materials in haven, port back, go out again. But it's limited in how much i can gather, and it doesn't feel like a good exploration session with 30 mostly useless things in my inventory, nor are there good things to set out for past high quality resource nodes.

All in all I know hafen just needs a lot more polish, and that was tbh my issue with haven as it was in w7, when a friend showed me it for a bit and it just seemed .. way behind Salem in terms of development. I think hafen is headed in a good direction, and it'll just take time to get to the same time invested in it as you had previously put into salem :) So just keep at it, and perhaps work mainly on figuring out a good feedback system and discussion system that helps. Having people suggest exact changes doesn't seem to work, talking about abstract concepts that will later evolve into systems/mechanics seems better.

P.S. all that aside, the anti-botting and anti-uber raidergod mechanics/changed JC has implemented recently seem to be making the game a bit more annoying than it could be, so that's maybe something to keep in mind when trying to counter botters and titans later on. I'm curious how the nidbane will hold its ground compared to the "trial by hit the titan with a noodle on your crappy character you want revenge on" :D
lachlaan

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:59 am

Kaios wrote:I still don't understand why and even if they reset the legacy world how is it supposed to be fun getting all your shit setup again and looking for resources and blah blah blah? You just did it for this world and can in fact continue to do such things if you wanted. Plz someone explain the appeal of legacy haven to me because you're still doing the same shit.

exploring a new world for resources is fun af imo, its not the same in hafen with the shitty river systems also i fucking h8 the 3d so much
Kaios wrote:I don't know who they think they are going to kill other than each other, the legacy world is still big and if they reset they'd essentially be splitting up remaining players between two servers. The only reason anyone not in to PvP would come back for a legacy reset would be for the initial early game feeling/rush and then they'd quit a little bit after because ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IS MORE INTERESTING ABOUT IT!!!!

tbh ur wrong m8 and all w7 was is the same groups fighting eachother anyways, ad, dis, and the ppl i played with and im fine with just fighting those same people. people wouldnt just quit a little bit after either m8 why would it be any different than it was in w7 where the same groups were playing for the majority of the 2years(?) that the server was up for. it was a much better game imo and in many more peoplez o's 10/10 nolife game wud nolife it agen
ChildhoodObesity

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar