Removing tps didnt work

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Removing tps didnt work

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:51 pm

Potjeh wrote:
jorb wrote:I more or less agree, yes.

WTF? Roads work just fine.

Sure, but are they really accomplishing what they could? Roads as is are ok, but there's a lack of reason to build them for anything other than quickly going to your watering hole, iron node, etc etc. The more exposed (and longer) it is, the more dangerous and more work to maintain it. Do you think two rival factions are going to build roads to the same trade hub?
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Raffeh » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:09 pm

Kaios wrote:Even if you were to put in the major amount of effort required to build roads, setup an area with stands utilizing the visitor debuff for protection or going with the more difficult task of creating an area for anyone to setup stands at, what are you going to do then? Announce it on the forums? Right so Dis can come and camp the roads and kill you or anyone trying to trade with you lol, it's such a shitty situation.

Lol it kinda happened within 2 days
TRAITORS WILL BE SHOT.
Raffeh

Postby Kaios » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:12 pm

Well of course Dis themselves can setup a market because they are the only village who even cares to camp a road at this point and because who is going to fuck with them? Nobody except Ainran and they don't seem to be playing much either. Alternatively if I were to build a road to their central trade hub from my village what do you think would happen?
Kaios

Postby Astarisk » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:47 am

Potjeh wrote:
jorb wrote:I more or less agree, yes.

WTF? Roads work just fine.

Roads are hardly fine. They are only fine when they work, which is whatever. But it is far easier to destroy a road network than it is to build one. Stupidly easy. As far as I see it, they are broken. On top of that, it is a pain in the ass to build them over any meaningful distance, and are insanely dangerous if someone wants to camp them.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby _Gunnar » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:15 am

Totally agree with Astarisk, except that I didnt mind building it tbh.
_Gunnar

Postby bmjclark » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:28 am

Agreed. I miss CRs, roads just make me never want to go do anything because it really just encourages checking ports with alts first. It's a cool concept but i really just don't think it works well at all. They're too easy to disrupt, too dangerous and really just too much of a pain. The only safe-ish place for them is underground.

I'd like to see CRs brought back even if their cost is increased to keep them from being as easy to build as before, and to have roads remain in as an option for lower end players to have easy access to some kind of teleportation.
Last edited by bmjclark on Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby bmjclark » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:40 am

Potjeh wrote:I disagree with the first, and the second has nothing to do with roads but rather the terrible spawn mechanics (I thought there was a reason Brodgar was abolished in world 3).

I know ports that have been blocked by random spawned HFs in the starting grid lol. How can you not think they're too easy to disrupt?
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:14 am

bmjclark wrote:I'd like to see CRs brought back even if their cost is increased to keep them from being as easy to build as before, and to have roads remain in as an option for lower end players to have easy access to some kind of teleportation.

Right idea, but I don't think increasing costs will help. Large industrious villages will have no issues setting up a large network. Small villages of mixed dedicated and casuals probably won't get to it (most may not even get to a brick wall because steel sucks.) Overachieving hermits will probably do one or two to trusted trade partners or mining camps. Purely casuals, hermits or villages of any size, will probably ignore them as they usually ignore brick walls and sing "Que Sera Sera" while being raided.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Avu » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:07 am

When roads were suggested I specifically asked that the road announces you before hand if it is blocked at any point so you don't have to alt port. That part never got implemented. Let's not throw the baby with the bathwater. The other aspect about roads that sucks balls is the porting over gates if the road is not blocked and you have permissions. Also make roads destructible only from endpoints and you have a decent enough system. If you don't want people at your doorsteps just build the endpoints behind walls problem solved.

Still think actual roads would be better but returning to the original CR doesn't solve anything.
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby Potjeh » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:21 pm

bmjclark wrote:
Potjeh wrote:I disagree with the first, and the second has nothing to do with roads but rather the terrible spawn mechanics (I thought there was a reason Brodgar was abolished in world 3).

I know ports that have been blocked by random spawned HFs in the starting grid lol. How can you not think they're too easy to disrupt?

And you can continue travel from the next roadsign, so what's the problem? Same goes for destroying, your average character will spend more time bashing a couple of stone signs than it took to build them using smelter gneiss (unless we're talking a palibasher+, but then again character scaling breaks everything in the game rather than just roads), and you can then just walk half a minimap and continue teleporting.

Crossroads system was terrible in it's exploitableness and bringing it back would be a huge step backwards, almost on par with bringing back LP from actions.

So yeah, the roads work mostly fine, if anything it needs a nerf in form of travel weariness. But it may seem to work poorly because there's simply not enough players to build roads, but that is a completely unrelated issue.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar