How is the map generation going?

General discussion and socializing.

How is the map generation going?

Postby overtyped » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:24 am

Hows that new map generation going?
This is not a thread about a restart, but a legit question. That isn't to say I don't want that.
Last edited by overtyped on Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Re: hey loftar

Postby Archiplex » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:12 pm

One thing I would prefer is a world where people can't travel outwards for hours and be protected against everything simply due to how much time they spent getting away from all life- there shouldn't be an option to opt out of what happens in the world.

Another would be- i really hate the node quality system and would prefer a better way to organize getting high quality basic materials (such as quality being much higher the closer you are to the world center, or certain "points" in the world where the quality of all nodes is higher), to encourage fighting for a real reason, and to clutter kingdoms/villages together in the same approximate area. And remove nodes ignoring the actual terrain (love those 70q soil nodes... in the middle of water)

(not related to mapgen but i don't like the formula for general effective growth on items (meaning, 40 = 2x, 90 = 3x, 160 = 4x, etc. it should scale mucher higher such as 100 = 2x, 500 = 3x etc. not those exact numbers but you get the idea)
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:35 pm

Archiplex wrote:One thing I would prefer is a world where people can't travel outwards for hours and be protected against everything simply due to how much time they spent getting away from all life- there shouldn't be an option to opt out of what happens in the world.

Why not? Nobody is safe, and the entire map gets explored eventually, so nobody is ever completely safe. I realize this is an MMO, but if I want to hide in a corner, I should have a corner. (Where else will I be able to plot to take over the world in isolation?)

I know the quality node system has been discussed before, but the posts probably got ate with the rest of the forums. The idea with the system is that players get control of the high quality nodes and then fight each other for them. The problem is when you get enough supergrids on the map, there's more nodes of about the same quality and nobody fights for the nodes because they found one of their own.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby stya » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:24 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
Archiplex wrote:One thing I would prefer is a world where people can't travel outwards for hours and be protected against everything simply due to how much time they spent getting away from all life- there shouldn't be an option to opt out of what happens in the world.

Why not? Nobody is safe, and the entire map gets explored eventually, so nobody is ever completely safe. I realize this is an MMO, but if I want to hide in a corner, I should have a corner. (Where else will I be able to plot to take over the world in isolation?)

I know the quality node system has been discussed before, but the posts probably got ate with the rest of the forums. The idea with the system is that players get control of the high quality nodes and then fight each other for them.
The problem is when you get enough supergrids on the map, there's more nodes of about the same quality and nobody fights for the nodes because they found one of their own.

We need more people in hnh :D

Not saying it is dead or something, just that more people is a good thing in general.
stya

Postby Archiplex » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:42 am

MagicManICT wrote:

It's personal opinion, but for people who move out and construct their bases, they're playing a solo game or a game with a couple of their friends and it doesn't seem right at all.

The only reason they're able to do this currently is because of how frustratingly difficult it is to get past a brick wall against any active village, if that hurdle is superceded the next gate will be the timegate involved in traveling X hours to the corner of the world. I don't think that's either a healthy nor good mechanic in the game.

Ultimately, global politics should impacts EVERYONE in the world some way or another, and if you want to have a calm life then what i believe should be ideal is living in an ultra-safe spot by whatever kingdom you belong to. You might not have to actually converse or deal with anyone if you don't want to, but you're there and always feeling the effects of the world.

Otherwise, if we want these singleplayer playstyles then there might as well be singleplayer servers (cough, i am extremely against this).

Hermiting should still be possible of course, just different than what it currently exists as.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby venatorvenator » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:54 am

He's quite right though, no one is safe no matter how far they walk. Some dude just built a charter stone close to my hermitage, which is 10-12 hours from the central supergrid, for example.
I want to be able to play the game my way if I choose so. If it's action people want it might be best to turn the map into an arena and spawn everyone in it.
Xcom wrote:Most good things last only a short time
venatorvenator

Postby CSPAN » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:21 am

Archiplex wrote:bsbsbsbsbs.

no.
Not everyone wants to deal with global politics.

And it should be hard to break a brick wall, at least until they come up with siege mechanics that wont destroy a persons ability to stay in the quality grind competition. Livestock and work stations being destroyed is highly demoralizing, and we want a game where "losing" doesnt spell the end, and will keep players around.
=
=
I like natural quality nodes as they are, EXCEPT having to find a blend of good ess,sub, and vit. Finding a node thats 70+/10/10 is disappointing. If natural resource quality equations aimed to be balanced, it would be much less complicated and time consuming, because now instead of having good water, clay and soil, people have 3+ nodes of each resource used for different things, its a lot of walking, a lot of searching, and a lot of hassle.
=
=
I'd like a map gen with less lake, and more river. River systems that can span supergrids, kind of like w7.
LS of Twin Lakes BIG TRUCKS
CSPAN

Postby DDDsDD999 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:27 am

This. You're better off just playing a single player minecraft game with some crafting mods if that's what you want.
DDDsDD999

Postby abt79 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:59 am

CSPAN wrote:

no.

And it should be hard to break a brick wall, at least until they come up with siege mechanics that wont destroy a persons ability to stay in the quality grind competition. Livestock and work stations being destroyed is highly demoralizing, and we want a game where "losing" doesnt spell the end, and will keep players around.
=
=
I like natural quality nodes as they are, EXCEPT having to find a blend of good ess,sub, and vit. Finding a node thats 70+/10/10 is disappointing. If natural resource quality equations aimed to be balanced, it would be much less complicated and time consuming, because now instead of having good water, clay and soil, people have 3+ nodes of each resource used for different things, its a lot of walking, a lot of searching, and a lot of hassle.
=
=
I'd like a map gen with less lake, and more river. River systems that can span supergrids, kind of like w7.

this all the way

tri quality is a bit annoying, and OP rivers were the best
abt79

Postby overtyped » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:01 am

abt79 wrote:
CSPAN wrote:

no.

=
=
=
=

this all the way

tri quality is a bit annoying, and OP rivers were the best

apparently jorbtar fucked up the map in this version, that is why you have few river systems far from the center of the map.
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar