How is the map generation going?

General discussion and socializing.

Re: How is the map generation going?

Postby Kalacia » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:25 pm

Kaios wrote:
Kalacia wrote:An island could be good... but what if there is a sudden player spike or another such reason to incease the map size?

A 5x5 world (25 supergrids) is still massive and I really doubt there would ever be enough of a player spike to overrun a world that size, even if we went back to 1k+ players it would still be small for that amount. I don't know what you're expecting with this new world in terms of player return/retention but I would try to keep your hopes reasonable.

I was more thinking if this world lasts a considerable time period. Id like an archipelago personally, or something fractal. Mainly as i love those map types on Civ V.
Kalacia

Postby Turtlesir » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:29 pm

Kaios wrote:Invisible walls still I guess, or maybe they could add something weird or unique at the edge of the world that still blocks you from further progress but is at least more interesting than an invisible wall.

fog or waves. for the latter it even makes sense that you can't get through.
Turtlesir

Postby ven » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:32 pm

Kaios wrote:A 5x5 world (25 supergrids) is still massive and I really doubt there would ever be enough of a player spike to overrun a world that size, even if we went back to 1k+ players it would still be small for that amount.

I don't think only absolute numbers count for that. With charter stones and this talk about reimplementing random spawns, even a small number of players can cover the entire map with their vaults and outposts and whatever.

Kaios wrote: Honestly I have no clue why loftar even thinks he'll need to expand the next world at all, they clearly feel the current size is too big so what would be the point of resetting this world for that purpose if they would just increase the size again?

Ocean DLC and New Lands Colonization DLC. I'm not even joking, those would be interesting. Archipelagos and a new map section with new biomes and exclusive forageables could be an idea.
Venator
ven

Postby Kaios » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:40 pm

ven wrote:I don't think only absolute numbers count for that. With charter stones and this talk about reimplementing random spawns, even a small number of players can cover the entire map with their vaults and outposts and whatever.

Not sure what you guys are thinking but I think it's obvious they are going to remove player built charter stones. They may re-implement them in the suggested form of permanent charter stones generated with the map that can be spawned at but not built around/nearby or whatever but I have a feeling charter stones in their current form will not be returning.

Ocean DLC and New Lands Colonization DLC. I'm not even joking, those would be interesting. Archipelagos and a new map section with new biomes and exclusive forageables could be an idea.

Add another island :D

I think an island/continent separate from the main land even if we didn't have the edges as water would still make sense for that anyways.
Kaios

Postby Granger » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:31 pm

How about letting a spawn cursor travel over the map slowly?
Every time someone spawns (uses the fire in the creation room without inheriting) it moves a bit (like 500+ tiles or so), then waits patiently for next spawn - ideal would be if it dosn't enter already visited areas.

This would for one lead to spawning being distributed, so you spawn in the wilderness.
In case you want to play with friends you just have to spawn at the same time to be in the same general area...
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Raffeh » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:10 pm

For the edges of map which has water I would suggest a event pop up window warning of sharks 100 tiles away from the boarder and if you travel to the edge you would be eaten and die. :D or even a " the waves are too strong" pop up and a small boat emote pushing you back, this would at least stop the unrealistic motion of a invisible wall.
The map may be a island but the island is so huge it would be considered like a continent like south America is surrounded by water but you wouldn't call it a island.

I am excited to see this is haven, even if it was just tested to see how it works. It could also allow for larger boats to be implemented and not be restricted by the body of water they was built in. Making them actually useful for both trading and transporting muliple players for raids rather than a 5 hour trek like it currently is.

I guess the end goal of any game is to make it fun for the players because as soon as people atop enjoying a game they stop playing, stop paying etc etc. and these kind of implementations do just that make the game travel more enjoyable rather than tedious hikes in which you have 5 people following each other and clipping on trees which in one word is just frustrating.

Sorry for the wall of text
TRAITORS WILL BE SHOT.
Raffeh

Postby Kalacia » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:08 am

I like this idea, and i would love it to work. But people would not settle by water.... because raiders.
Kalacia

Postby qthree » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:02 am

I didn't read all posts, but what about island-like map, where players spawn on edges of island and can settle there. But quantity of hight quality spots is much larger in the middle of the map. That will lead top groups to compete each other for top grade lands.
qthree

Postby ven » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:06 am

Raffeh wrote:or even a " the waves are too strong" pop up

That's a great idea. Invisible walls are quite immersion-breaking.

Raffeh wrote:I guess the end goal of any game is to make it fun for the players because as soon as people atop enjoying a game they stop playing, stop paying etc etc

Not being bored in a sandbox is tricky because all content has to come from the players. For that to happen in a game like this there must be a constant renewal of things.

Earlier this world I PMed them a suggestion for season- and weather-based formulas, which in theory would give the players significant weekly and monthly changes to gameplay and potentially make everything less boring, with minimal development work, but it got dragged into the "would be interesting thanks" pit.
Venator
ven

Previous

Return to The Inn of Brodgar