How is the map generation going?

General discussion and socializing.

Re: How is the map generation going?

Postby BlackKopcap » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:12 am

loftar wrote:
Glorthan wrote:It could work for the map border I guess, make the world a big island with a few tiles of water near all the edges.

And disable all ability to expand the world in the future? Great idea. :)

U can expand by generating another big island, or small, or middle whatever...
BlackKopcap

Postby sabinati » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:59 pm

loftar wrote:
Glorthan wrote:It could work for the map border I guess, make the world a big island with a few tiles of water near all the edges.

make it water on one edge so rivers have a sensible outlet
sabinati

Postby Potjeh » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:06 pm

Huge-ass lakes could also be sensible outlets. Just don't generate too many of them.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Kaios » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:07 pm

sabinati wrote:
loftar wrote:

make it water on one edge so rivers have a sensible outlet

Would be lame, if we do it we should go all the way not just have it one side, that is pretty pointless. If a large body of water surrounded the edges of the map to make the world an island it would be interesting to see some implementations related to this such as docks/ports, larger ships, bigger fish, bulk methods of fishing, treasure hunting out in the "ocean" and of course a route of travel that allows a player to move from one side of the world to the other via boat or ship travel to other ports/docks. Would be awesome for trade.

It's a nice thing though so I wouldn't expect anything of the sort, let's just have an invisible wall so maybe loftar can expand it in to another big ass empty world in the future.
Kaios

Postby sabinati » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:35 pm

counterpoint: sea on one side, higher elevation on the other side, all rivers flow to the sea, starting spawn is on the sea side, transport and trade happens along rivers and later roads
sabinati

Postby Kaios » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:41 pm

That sounds better but it still seems to negate the need for any larger form of water transportation beyond the current boat since the only large body of water will be on one side and traversing it north or south would be much less of a task compared to east to west. Also don't see any use for a port if there's only one side with a large body of water and the next biggest sizes come in the form of lakes scattered amongst the rest of the land mass. Docks might still be cool either way though.

I just don't see how the water itself is that interesting, how about something to go with it?? Might as well stick to invisible walls otherwise.
Kaios

Postby sabinati » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:56 pm

water isn't interesting per se it's what it adds to the map overall.

i guess they can add a lot of content and expand the grid with sea with islands, large boats, sharks, jumping sharks, kraken, scurvy, fishing for Jörmungandr or whatever in the future
sabinati

Postby Potjeh » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:18 pm

I mostly want sensible water features so rivers can have actual flow. I think lots of nifty features could tie into that, like watermills, floating logs downstream (maybe highlands could be better for growing trees and lowlands for crops), sluicing gold or pollution travelling downstream.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby abt79 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:26 pm

sabinati wrote:water isn't interesting per se it's what it adds to the map overall.

i guess they can add a lot of content and expand the grid with sea with islands, large boats, sharks, jumping sharks, kraken, scurvy, fishing for Jörmungandr or whatever in the future

Yes

Whaling and boats the size of great halls that you can build and store things in pls
abt79

Postby Kaios » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:31 pm

abt79 wrote:Yes

Whaling and boats the size of great halls that you can build and store things in pls

sorry sir but we need sensible water features your fun features have no place here!
Kaios

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar