How is the map generation going?

General discussion and socializing.

Re: How is the map generation going?

Postby abt79 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:56 pm

Kaios wrote:
abt79 wrote:Yes

Whaling and boats the size of great halls that you can build and store things in pls

sorry sir but we need sensible water features your fun features have no place here!

*Cries in the corner and grinds quality*
Last edited by abt79 on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abt79

Postby CSPAN » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:08 pm

need weather events like floods. Need to be a constant risk, no matter where you are >:)
LS of Twin Lakes BIG TRUCKS
CSPAN

Postby Raffeh » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:44 pm

Kaios wrote:
sabinati wrote:
loftar wrote:It could work for the map border I guess, make the world a big island with a few tiles of water near all the edges.
And disable all ability to expand the world in the future? Great idea. :)

make it water on one edge so rivers have a sensible outlet

If a large body of water surrounded the edges of the map to make the world an island it would be interesting to see some implementations related to this such as docks/ports, larger ships, bigger fish, bulk methods of fishing, treasure hunting out in the "ocean" and of course a route of travel that allows a player to move from one side of the world to the other via boat or ship travel to other ports/docks. Would be awesome for trade.

This idea is by far the best with not only water all around causing a map edge but with rivers running inland also allowing for good trade routes etc. Example map taken from wurmonline chaos server::

They did just fine extending the world by just putting another land mass similar to that when you sail north or east etc.

It also makes the world unique? i mean currently you can walk for hours in haven and find the same things over and over. doesnt make for exciting exploration or vantage points.
TRAITORS WILL BE SHOT.
Raffeh

Postby Ethan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:51 pm

I don't see anything wrong with at least trying an island for a world. However I would rather see the dev time put into extending the late game.
Ethan

Postby iamclothier » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:05 am

Raffeh wrote:
This idea is by far the best with not only water all around causing a map edge but with rivers running inland also allowing for good trade routes etc. Example map taken from wurmonline chaos server::

They did just fine extending the world by just putting another land mass similar to that when you sail north or east etc.

It also makes the world unique? i mean currently you can walk for hours in haven and find the same things over and over. doesnt make for exciting exploration or vantage points.

Would like to see something like this in the next world. Exploration and trade might be more fun. Even for the pirates
I have vague memories of tying a woman up and throwing her in a dungeon.
iamclothier

Postby Jalpha » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:16 am

I don't see the point in making the map an island.

Until there are multiple servers it's perfectly unnecessary and the server pop won't reach those kind of numbers for a while.

Wait I'm wrong... It would stop those annoying curio spawns in the visible but unreachable part of the map.

Something designed by a computer will never be as sexy or have as much potential as something made by hand. But I guess the beauty of a generated map is in the underlying code.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby Raffeh » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:58 am

I'm pretty sure the map shown above has been generated not produced by hand.

With the small amount of players we have there is really no need for so much land mass and a more defined map would produce more of a community, player made pvp zones, player map safe areas. It would just happen naturally.
TRAITORS WILL BE SHOT.
Raffeh

Postby Kaios » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:41 pm

Jalpha wrote:Until there are multiple servers it's perfectly unnecessary and the server pop won't reach those kind of numbers for a while.

I think it would be interesting to try either way, I could see how an island world might be boring out on the water without many players to supplement this wide open space but also without many/any water related features I don't think it would matter anyways. The main point would be to see how such a map would work and also they would hopefully implement interesting features in relation and if you don't think that stuff is cool then I hate you!!!
Kaios

Postby Kalacia » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:13 pm

An island could be good... but what if there is a sudden player spike or another such reason to incease the map size?

Yes you could add another island, but where does it then stop? island after island?

Or untill you have a stable population just have land, and then append a few grids onto the side.

Then there is the issue of... what is at the end of the water? there has to be an edge somewhere on a flat world.
Kalacia

Postby Kaios » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:20 pm

Kalacia wrote:An island could be good... but what if there is a sudden player spike or another such reason to incease the map size?

A 5x5 world (25 supergrids) is still massive and I really doubt there would ever be enough of a player spike to overrun a world that size, even if we went back to 1k+ players it would still be small for that amount. I don't know what you're expecting with this new world in terms of player return/retention but I would try to keep your hopes reasonable.

Then there is the issue of... what is at the end of the water? there has to be an edge somewhere on a flat world.

Invisible walls still I guess, or maybe they could add something weird or unique at the edge of the world that still blocks you from further progress but is at least more interesting than an invisible wall. Honestly I have no clue why loftar even thinks he'll need to expand the next world at all, they clearly feel the current size is too big so what would be the point of resetting this world for that purpose if they would just increase the size again?
Kaios

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar