Street Life ... :)

General discussion and socializing.

Street Life ... :)

Postby Amanda44 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:45 pm

I was saving this thread and have been working on it for awhile but, hey, it's now the end of the world so no point in continuing it ... :( ... so here is my alt story, I hope you enjoy. :D

After a recent discussion about the edge of the world/map, it was suggested to me that I go and find out ..... :P

It has since been answered, but I've been to the edge of every map so far, so why not ... :) ... the wagon trip is sort of accomplishing that anyway, even if we do not reach the edge of the map I doubt we'll be far from it and I could just run that char to it, but, I'm interested in the new quest system and I also want to show that hearthlings are not as savage and barbaric as the forum would have you believe, even when you aren't three women with a wagon ... :P

I live every world in the same way on my hermit char, I'm always out, I meet a variety of other players and I talk to everyone, I've only ever been killed twice, once in W5 when I was 'tricked' and once at the beginning of this world by Arvin. :P

At the start of a game I mainly just pretend to be a new player when I first make contact and then let ppl know who I am once I feel I can trust them and we have developed the start of a friendship. Once I'm established and I start helping other new players, I just tell them I've been playing Haven for awhile now. I have very rarely ever had bad reactions from the encounters I have, probably about 4/5 bad moments in as many years, and all bar those two above have been resolved pretty swiftly and peacefully.

Ofc, this is not the same as being raided, I've been raided many times along with everyone else, lol, I understand that more, it's a part of the game and fun for those playing the raiders ... to just encounter a person, esp a newb and kill them in cold blood for no reason other than that you can is a lot harder imo and doesn't happen as much as the forum would have you believe, also imo ... :)

So, I made a new char and set off south.

I liked the quest system, it was done in a concise and simple way and was unobtrusive, I was a bit disappointed they finished so quickly in tbh. I think maybe they could continue up until the first combat experience, like raiding ants for example.
I also did not have too much of a problem with stone for an axe, well, not as much as I was expecting - I did have to walk for about an hour out of the starting area, which is a long time I guess, but then I found a boulder of flint.

It was fun being a newbie again, alone in the wilderness, no commitments and no ties and free to travel with no pressure to settle down.
After hrs of walking I found a remote abandoned house with a cart, by then I had amassed quite a lot of junk and so decided to settle for a night and get better prepared for the journey, even though it meant dragging a cart along.

I ended up staying for two days to get some lp gain from discoveries and stock up on food, then I set off again with my new belongings and my trusty cart, do they not decay anymore?
I found a very long road which I followed for quite a way, handy with the cart in tow. :D

Continuing on my journey I passed lots of beautiful area's and is also where I took the snowy mountain pics I posted in screenshots, it had been hrs, days, and still no edge of the map, I kept being tempted to just settle and had to force myself on. I was mainly worried that the world was a circle and that I'd end up back where I started. I only met one other person face to face and the shot I took I forgot to save. They were in full gear and I admit I was scared but I stood my ground and we talked briefly. He ended up inviting me to the village he lived in, which he told me was huge, he said they could help me advance much more quickly. I explained that I was just an alt char (without giving my identity) and travelling to the edge of the map but thank you for the offer, it got a little bit hairy when he told me that other members from the village would kill me on sight if I were discovered and that I should come with him, I sort of felt like I was being kidnapped, lol, but I politely refused and said that I would consider it over night. As soon as he was off the screen I legged it ... :lol:

I stayed on the road for a couple more nights and then needed to shack up once again to replenish supplies. I found a cave and moved myself quite far in, I hid the cart in some tree's ... yeah I know the 'hide' feature, but I don't use it in new haven as I like the new look so was just hoping I'm not alone in that. :)

It was coming up to Christmas and I was also too busy to play on it regularly so tried to log in at least once a day and decided to stay where I was until the 27th ... I then had my 2nd encounter although we never actually came face to face. I had gotten mauled by a boar and had injuries with no treatment, whilst exploring I found I had stopped quite close to a small but active base, I left a rune asking if they could spare me some gauze. When I returned they had left me all kinds of goodies, gauze, food, better q saw, axe, it was so lovely esp with it being Christmas. Every day was something new and this was from a complete stranger who knew nothing about me.

Holidays over I set off once again ... I don't know who you were but thank you so much! :D

Cue 3rd encounter ... after a few days I stopped again for new year, picked another cave and set up camp. I logged on after new year to a box of awesome stuff and a note ... LS hat, much higher q saw and axe, food and metals, such a wonderful surprise. I was almost tempted to stay. :D

From that point on I saw no signs of life for hrs but no edge of the map either! Then suddenly over the hill two towers appeared;

I went up closer to see if I could see any ppl but though there were signs of activity no-one was around.

By now I had developed my char quite a bit and the planning I was doing with Em and V for our village was making me want to settle even more, still no edge to the map and I was due to go on holiday in a few days time. I met no other ppl or saw any signs of hearthling life but I did make best friends with Mikey the moose. :)

And found my first four leaf clover. :D

I'd had enough travelling though by now and so I decided to settle and build a town all on my own with a view to opening it up to the players afterwards, so I never did reach the edge of the map. :(

I had huge plans for the village, a central great hall, streets with mansions and then a lower level with streets and stonesteads. I was going to build a moat (without the water, lol) around the outside with a paved bridge to span it ... but my holiday arrived and then no sooner did I return and LadyGoo ends the world! :P

Here are the last few shots I took before yesterday and how far I got with my plans.

Right click to view last two.

The end ... :D
Last edited by Amanda44 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Re: Street Life ... :)

Postby windmaker » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:50 pm

im waiting my tour yet..
Image #swag
windmaker

Postby Amanda44 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:55 pm

windmaker wrote:im waiting my tour yet..

:) - Hi Windmaker! Where have you been?!

I'm hrs south with no charter stone but you are welcome to tour my flat ground with some raised bits for the towers if you can find it ... :D
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Amanda44

Postby windmaker » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:00 pm

i was working and i dont like much this version of the game (i dont try it in absolute to be honest) but maybe now the world is end i can walk around of your lands :P

/EDIT
i read you have a place with Emerald, that sound good to make my first steps xd. if let me do that..
Image #swag
windmaker

Postby Amanda44 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:04 pm

windmaker wrote:i was working and i dont like much this version of the game (i dont try it in absolute to be honest) but maybe now the world is end i can walk around of your lands :P

Ofc, you should come to our party on my other char with Em and V, it will have a charter stone which means you can spawn there and it also will have more to look at, I have no way of getting you to this place, I don't even know where it is on the map ... :lol:

Here;

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=46596#p606322

and how we got there;

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=45789#p595144
Koru wrote:
Amanda44

Postby Redkat » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:29 pm

I love your story. :D Adore your pictures but you know that.
Redkat

Postby Ethan » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:18 pm

I made it to the eastern edge. I estimate it was about 10-12 hours from the center.

Took me about 7 hours from where I was already. The journey started with seeing a new settlement about every 45mins to and hour. Then after about 4 hours there was only sporadic signs of life. A fallen tree, a small stockpile, some leveled land. Then that slowly faded until it was rare to see a single dug tile, from a resource hunter. The last two hours there was absolutely no signs of life. Nothing. It was also at this time there was practically no wild life. I could no longer run and drink, as there were no animals to kill for food. I was reduced to a slow and steady walk.

It was at that point my resolve started to falter. I would take detours through grass lands desperately hoping to find a horse I could tame. It was then in the crushing loneliness I came upon a lake so large I could not see anyway to traverse it other than to build a raft and row across. I had been subsisting solely on the fruit picked from trees and had barely enough energy to construct the boat. It was dark when I set sail, I should have waited to first light but I was possessed, my body moved as if it was commanded by a higher power.

As I approached the far shoreline I could see the mouth of the river I gently steer into the river and let the river currents carry me slowly east. The gentle currents rock the boat and the darkness swallows me. I do not dream.

I awake. There is light, but no sun. The boat has become stuck in the shallows. I climb out to continue on foot, there is a grassland at the base of a mountain. I stumble through the grass when I am overcome by a sense of being followed. I turn around and there is a horse. Is this horse real, or has it come to take me to Valhalla? I climb onto the horse and it offers no resistance.

The horse trots onward following the base of the mountain, with almost no input from me, perhaps the horse has walked this path before? The horse stops. I will it on, but it does not move. I dismount and attempt to continue on, I do not move. We have reached the edge. I stand there and feel nothing.
Ethan

Postby ekzarh » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:29 am

Hey Amanda! It is our base.

We are 2 Ukrainian guys who decided to get some safety in distance :)
Good to see ourselves on forum after the world reset was announced, otherwise we'd get crazy from paranoia :lol:
ekzarh

Postby Amanda44 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:49 am

Redkat wrote:I love your story. :D Adore your pictures but you know that.

<3 ... :D

@ Ethan ... that was beautiful, brought a tear to my eye and put mine to shame, lovely storytelling.
I gave up before reaching my edge and then moved the goalposts, lol, I should have persevered. :)

ekzarh wrote:Hey Amanda! It is our base.
We are 2 Ukrainian guys who decided to get some safety in distance :)
Good to see ourselves on forum after the world reset was announced, otherwise we'd get crazy from paranoia :lol:

Hey! :D
Had the world not ended it would have been months before it was finished and I made the thread, lol, but yeah, I can imagine it would be scary to have it on the forum, I hid the map though and cropped a lot of surroundings. :)
It was a lovely base, very nicely done, I'm so pleased to know whose it was, thanks for responding. :D
Koru wrote:
Amanda44

Postby Kalacia » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:44 am

I do like reading these stories.

I may do my own little adventures next world. Totally stealing this idea.
Kalacia

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar