When will the next world start?

General discussion and socializing.

When will the next world start?

Postby VDZ » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:30 pm

Assuming everything goes well and nobody destroys the altar:

If I recall correctly, destruction was commenced last Thursday morning (Europe time), which means the world will be destroyed the morning of February 18th.

After the world is destroyed, will the new one start immediately? I assume there will be some hours in-between for map generation and other setup, but is it reasonable to assume it will be playable starting late Thursday afternoon?

I'm strongly considering taking that Thursday and/or Friday off work to play the new world, so it would be nice to know when it starts.
VDZ

Re: When will the next world start?

Postby TeckXKnight » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:37 pm

Assume something will go wrong with map gen and that it'll be at least a few hours later than predicted. Large changes mean lots of chances for an errant bug to creep up. =)
TeckXKnight

Postby VDZ » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:37 pm

By the way, according to my calculations based on my lodestone check just now, the world will end on
Thursday, February 18th, 7:56 AM UTC
VDZ

Postby VDZ » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:39 pm

TeckXKnight wrote:Assume something will go wrong with map gen and that it'll be a few hours later than predicted. Large changes mean lots of chances for an errant bug to creep up. =)

Yeah, my question was more like: will Jorb and Loftar immediately start on creating the new world after the old world ends, or will they finish up some stuff first/wait for the weekend/etc?
VDZ

Postby Kalacia » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:39 pm

Oh goodie. That coinsides with time off that i have booked.
Kalacia

Postby lachlaan » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:52 pm

I will presume that they will have the world already generated by then. What is the point of having the already pretty depressing world end as expected without having a new world ready? Then what, it dies, people have to sit around confused if Jorb and Loftar are asleep then? xD Newbies that didn't really understand the end of the world pop-up have to swarm the forums asking if it's a crash, the end, new world when? So yeah, I hope they'll gen a world a day before this one is set to restart, and that the stuff they have left to code isn't map generator related but rather some siege tweaks or whatever they think a new world would need.
lachlaan

Postby Kalacia » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:13 pm

lachlaan wrote:I will presume that they will have the world already generated by then. What is the point of having the already pretty depressing world end as expected without having a new world ready? Then what, it dies, people have to sit around confused if Jorb and Loftar are asleep then? xD Newbies that didn't really understand the end of the world pop-up have to swarm the forums asking if it's a crash, the end, new world when? So yeah, I hope they'll gen a world a day before this one is set to restart, and that the stuff they have left to code isn't map generator related but rather some siege tweaks or whatever they think a new world would need.

As a man who works in IT i expect some downtime. Not sure if i would expect an evening's worth, but i expect some. Then again, i dont know the server workings, processes etc. So its pure speculation.
Kalacia

Postby lachlaan » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:36 pm

Some downtime to start everything up and crash it a good few times, sure. But starting to generate the world "immediately after" the current one ends would be useless downtime. I can't remember but I think the last map gen was done a few days before the announced server start, think it took a bit too?
lachlaan

Postby Kalacia » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:14 pm

I would hope that the map is done before hand. The reasons being:

A) it takes time
B) What if it goes pete tong during creation
C) They should load it into the game and test it themselves before reboot day
Kalacia

Postby Turtlesir » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:00 pm

should be a lot faster to generate the map this time, world 8 was a circle in a 175k*175k square. compared to world 7's what, 9 supergrids of 5k*5k each?
Turtlesir

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar