The Revenant: Wulf's Retreat - EPILOGUE

General discussion and socializing.

Re: The Revenant: Wulf's Retreat - Chapter 16! *New*

Postby DaniAngione » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:20 am

Redlaw wrote:Loooving it so far :).

Well, now that it is in your thread I can say it here:
Thank you for your visit :D It was great, I really appreciate it!
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Re: The Revenant: Wulf's Retreat - Chapter 16!

Postby Redlaw » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:34 am

Your welcome, given I have been there a few times again. we have had a few lovely moments that would be nice to keep up ^_^.
Redlaw

Postby DaniAngione » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:52 am

CHAPTER 17:
MINGLING, BREEDING & FEASTING

So, as you all already know from my last chapter and Redlaw's latest chapter, after a long journey, we've met.
But this was only the first step of a healthy hermit trading partnership - or whatever we call it :P - now that with my charterstone visited and a gate built on her place, she can come anytime.

Since that first visited, she came a handful more times. We traded some items, some gifts... Got fancy new clothing for my farmer, got a lot of higher quality clay for her...
It has been very nice and productive, not to mention it's someone to chat to when hermiting is too hermity.

So, one day she asked me about pigs. She wanted to raise some but didn't want to tame them. I don't raise pigs myself but found her a seller - and acted as the middle man - getting the pigs to my place, her payment to the seller and finally delivering her the pigs when she came for them.
Because of that, she offered me a couple of cows. That's excellent!

She brought me an adult cow and a little bull. I didn't have any room prepared for them yet so I temporarily kept them in one of the stables. That's very nice, I was planning on getting cows soon, since I already had all the cow cheese infrastructure ready... But I didn't want cows in the Retreat, I don't think they look nice on the "Mountain atmosphere" like sheep do. But I guess I'd have to figure out a way...
Anyway it's nice to have another friend around! I'm very thankful for the cows!

Talking about breeding, by the way...
White Dash, my little mare, finally grew up. Which means that... it is time for her mother to go.
I really like horses, I have a special relationship with them - even in games - and I like to think of how big of a deal horses are for people that live from them and from their work, like I do in Haven.
So I came up with a little ritual for when it's time to slaughter a horse, I don't simply slaughter them inside an ugly pen...

I take them for a ride, a ride through the mountains; their last ride...

I push them to the limit of their stamina, racing fast across the snow. It was a beautiful day when I took Ballerina for her ride.
She was a great mare, a gift from the Ghost, and will be missed...

Come, Ballerina.
Here is nice. You tired, huh? Feeling the breeze after the sprint?
No, no... Don't look me with this face.
There, there...

It was a beautiful ride.
Now her spirit shall gallop free for all eternity;
And her hide, meat and bones shall serve me well.

It was a beautiful, singular moment.
Until I came back home and found that White Dash has been... busy.

Aw, come on girl!
Your mother's body is warm still!

Oh, well... What can I say? It's cold up here...

Anyway, after a few days the bull finally grew up as well.
I've found a place for them, inside one of the houses... It's cozy and warm and they will be happy there!

Having cows has proved itself a very nice and useful thing. Not only because of the cheese they'll provide (and eventually meat and leather) but also because I can finally use a pack rack!
I've crafted one for the bull and I must say it has been really helpful for a lot of things... Collecting the stockpiles from mining is one of them, but also bringing produce and lumber from the farm!

I might've been producing too much lumber, by the way. It's good because I'm finally crafting and building higher quality wooden stuff and furniture... But it's becoming a bit chaotic to find room for all the logs I'm still not using.
Well, they'll be used soon - I hope. But the quality grind must go on, so new trees are planted as soon as the old ones are cut down.

I must say I'm enjoying tending to my little tree grove. It's annoying that they stunt so often - even with all the relevant skills - but oh well.
Oh, by the way, the farming is going really nice. With my wheat fields ready I can finally start my Weißbier production. I love it!

And the beer production is very important. If I truly wish to hold a feast near the end of the year, beer production must be kept going at all times.

And if I do not host a feast, well... I can always drink it myself. :roll:

But yes, beyond all that... The greatest thing about animal breeding is the production of the almighty cheese.
With my first Sheep Milk barrel finally full since I came back, it was time to set up a Sheep Cheesery. I could've used all the racks and stuff I had in my former cheesery - there wasn't sheep cheese when I left - but I'll leave it prepared for the upcoming cow milk.
So to make it different - and smaller - I used Maple wood and one of the empty buildings.

I've also finished building the cheese racks for the cow cheesery, the ones I didn't build before... And since there will be plenty of cheese in the future, I decided to destroy the old Wine Presses and build new, fancier ones.

Finally, I've also decided to upgrade my brick builds. I can't afford to make higher quality bricks for now - but I can always build some... So I traded a couple of silver bars from the heart of the mountain for a few stacks of high quality bricks with the King.

It was a nice trade and my new ores and findings from Level 5 will really appreciate the upgraded smelters.
Besides, it's always fun to break things!

The trade got me enough bricks for the finery forges, steel crucibles and ovens as well. I had a little and funny surprise with the ovens, though...

The moment I finished destroying one of them, something weird was revealed behind them. Something that I didn't notice until now:

A completely full food trough. What the...?
Then I realized that this was probably the Ghost's doing. Since she left Nimbus loose, it would make sense to spread some food troughs around for him to be able to feed anywhere. Hah.

That was very well hidden, Ghost. Well played. Well played. ;)

Finally, since I've got a lot of corks and will start producing more wine, I decided it was time to make a lot of bottles.
I might have... exaggerated a bit with the amount of sand, though.

Anyway...
Enough of work and breeding... It is time for feasting!

The day of the big event finally arrived.
So, let's leave the mountain and head into the heart of the Ivory Kingdom...

I've arrived to the beautiful town of Belle Dame right after the sun set.
The Bonfire was lit already and I was called inside the Great Hall!

When I got inside, I greeted everyone that was present already and was also greeted by the nicest preparations. Lit torches, gold plates, beautiful bouquets... Everything was great and amazing.
Most of the kingdom's subjects were there already and the Lady of Belle Dame herself led me to my place. I was honored to have been placed next to her!

The feast was amazing.
We ate and drank and had merry conversations. We might or might not have burped as well, but I'll not specify.
It was absolutely insane, the quality and variety of the food, the amount... Every bite was a new attribute point for me, with all the huge bonuses from all the fancy symbelware, the silk stuff, the bonfire and charisma bonuses from everyone... I've gained hundreds of attribute points - literally - and they have been a huge help so far.
It was great!

Every time we ran out of food, we'd go to the other floor where cupboards were filled with stuff for us to delight ourselves.

There I was, wondering what to eat next, when I saw the Sheriff King himself browsing the cupboards...

"Where are the honey buns?" I hear him...
... :roll:

I'M SORRY, MY KING, I ATE ALL THE HONEY BUNS. :oops:
They were very tasty...
The Lady of Belle Dame is an awesome host & a great cook!

Anyway... We were eating so much that eventually I decided to roast some raw mammoth meat that was available and kindly offered by the Lady.

But then I heard music nearby.
I've looked around and saw the King practicing with a fiddle near the Bonfire.

I joined him and started rocking my unique dance moves.
I call it the Crazy Mountain Bear Style.

It was very good, so we decided to take the show inside...

And so the rest of the night went on, with great music, great people, great food and all... within a great hall.
Hah!
Ok, sorry, that was horrible.

But it was a night to remember!

Back home, I've started to make plans for my own feast...
Hopefully, it will be as fun as this one!

This is probably the last chapter before Christmas, so...
Happy Christmas, everyone! :)
W15 ???
DaniAngione

Re: The Revenant: Wulf's Retreat - Chapter 17! *New*

Postby Redlaw » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:38 pm

Love this chapter, for many reasons. I hope to get my next one up before x-mas.
Redlaw

Postby sudogenki » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:41 am

i liked a lot this chapter.
sudogenki

Postby DreadDawson » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:53 am

Dani you should know this is my first forum post.

Great story, and I feel like I can take a very small portion of you coming back to the game. Since I was the first to join from STD ;)

Even if you did have me set up very far away from your mountain :roll:

I'm glad you showed me this game, and I look forward to seeing new wonderful things from Wulf's Retreat
DreadDawson

Postby DaniAngione » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:07 pm

Redlaw wrote:Love this chapter, for many reasons. I hope to get my next one up before x-mas.

sudogenki wrote:i liked a lot this chapter.

Thank you all :)
I'm glad you like it!

DreadDawson wrote:Dani you should know this is my first forum post.

Great story, and I feel like I can take a very small portion of you coming back to the game. Since I was the first to join from STD ;)

Even if you did have me set up very far away from your mountain :roll:

I'm glad you showed me this game, and I look forward to seeing new wonderful things from Wulf's Retreat

Hey there, Dawson :D
Nice to see you here

Yeah, talking about the game and showing it to people certainly contributed :D among other things... I'm glad to be back :)
And sorry for being so distant, lol! I didn't know I would come back when I brought you in... so I ended up not bringing you in close to the mountain :P

Anyway... Talking about wonderful things from Wulf's Retreat, I've just created a new thread for the upcoming event I'm planning!
Make sure to check it out, folks.
It shall be a nice feast!

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=52475
W15 ???
DaniAngione

Postby shubla » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:18 pm

DaniAngione wrote:CHAPTER 17:
MINGLING, BREEDING & FEASTING

So, as you all already know from my last chapter and Redlaw's latest chapter, after a long journey, we've met.
But this was only the first step of a healthy hermit trading partnership - or whatever we call it :P - now that with my charterstone visited and a gate built on her place, she can come anytime.

Since that first visited, she came a handful more times. We traded some items, some gifts... Got fancy new clothing for my farmer, got a lot of higher quality clay for her...
It has been very nice and productive, not to mention it's someone to chat to when hermiting is too hermity.

So, one day she asked me about pigs. She wanted to raise some but didn't want to tame them. I don't raise pigs myself but found her a seller - and acted as the middle man - getting the pigs to my place, her payment to the seller and finally delivering her the pigs when she came for them.
Because of that, she offered me a couple of cows. That's excellent!

She brought me an adult cow and a little bull. I didn't have any room prepared for them yet so I temporarily kept them in one of the stables. That's very nice, I was planning on getting cows soon, since I already had all the cow cheese infrastructure ready... But I didn't want cows in the Retreat, I don't think they look nice on the "Mountain atmosphere" like sheep do. But I guess I'd have to figure out a way...
Anyway it's nice to have another friend around! I'm very thankful for the cows!

Talking about breeding, by the way...
White Dash, my little mare, finally grew up. Which means that... it is time for her mother to go.
I really like horses, I have a special relationship with them - even in games - and I like to think of how big of a deal horses are for people that live from them and from their work, like I do in Haven.
So I came up with a little ritual for when it's time to slaughter a horse, I don't simply slaughter them inside an ugly pen...

I take them for a ride, a ride through the mountains; their last ride...

I push them to the limit of their stamina, racing fast across the snow. It was a beautiful day when I took Ballerina for her ride.
She was a great mare, a gift from the Ghost, and will be missed...

Come, Ballerina.
Here is nice. You tired, huh? Feeling the breeze after the sprint?
No, no... Don't look me with this face.
There, there...

It was a beautiful ride.
Now her spirit shall gallop free for all eternity;
And her hide, meat and bones shall serve me well.

It was a beautiful, singular moment.
Until I came back home and found that White Dash has been... busy.

Aw, come on girl!
Your mother's body is warm still!

Oh, well... What can I say? It's cold up here...

Anyway, after a few days the bull finally grew up as well.
I've found a place for them, inside one of the houses... It's cozy and warm and they will be happy there!

Having cows has proved itself a very nice and useful thing. Not only because of the cheese they'll provide (and eventually meat and leather) but also because I can finally use a pack rack!
I've crafted one for the bull and I must say it has been really helpful for a lot of things... Collecting the stockpiles from mining is one of them, but also bringing produce and lumber from the farm!

I might've been producing too much lumber, by the way. It's good because I'm finally crafting and building higher quality wooden stuff and furniture... But it's becoming a bit chaotic to find room for all the logs I'm still not using.
Well, they'll be used soon - I hope. But the quality grind must go on, so new trees are planted as soon as the old ones are cut down.

I must say I'm enjoying tending to my little tree grove. It's annoying that they stunt so often - even with all the relevant skills - but oh well.
Oh, by the way, the farming is going really nice. With my wheat fields ready I can finally start my Weißbier production. I love it!

And the beer production is very important. If I truly wish to hold a feast near the end of the year, beer production must be kept going at all times.

And if I do not host a feast, well... I can always drink it myself. :roll:

But yes, beyond all that... The greatest thing about animal breeding is the production of the almighty cheese.
With my first Sheep Milk barrel finally full since I came back, it was time to set up a Sheep Cheesery. I could've used all the racks and stuff I had in my former cheesery - there wasn't sheep cheese when I left - but I'll leave it prepared for the upcoming cow milk.
So to make it different - and smaller - I used Maple wood and one of the empty buildings.

I've also finished building the cheese racks for the cow cheesery, the ones I didn't build before... And since there will be plenty of cheese in the future, I decided to destroy the old Wine Presses and build new, fancier ones.

Finally, I've also decided to upgrade my brick builds. I can't afford to make higher quality bricks for now - but I can always build some... So I traded a couple of silver bars from the heart of the mountain for a few stacks of high quality bricks with the King.

It was a nice trade and my new ores and findings from Level 5 will really appreciate the upgraded smelters.
Besides, it's always fun to break things!

The trade got me enough bricks for the finery forges, steel crucibles and ovens as well. I had a little and funny surprise with the ovens, though...

The moment I finished destroying one of them, something weird was revealed behind them. Something that I didn't notice until now:

A completely full food trough. What the...?
Then I realized that this was probably the Ghost's doing. Since she left Nimbus loose, it would make sense to spread some food troughs around for him to be able to feed anywhere. Hah.

That was very well hidden, Ghost. Well played. Well played. ;)

Finally, since I've got a lot of corks and will start producing more wine, I decided it was time to make a lot of bottles.
I might have... exaggerated a bit with the amount of sand, though.

Anyway...
Enough of work and breeding... It is time for feasting!

The day of the big event finally arrived.
So, let's leave the mountain and head into the heart of the Ivory Kingdom...

I've arrived to the beautiful town of Belle Dame right after the sun set.
The Bonfire was lit already and I was called inside the Great Hall!

When I got inside, I greeted everyone that was present already and was also greeted by the nicest preparations. Lit torches, gold plates, beautiful bouquets... Everything was great and amazing.
Most of the kingdom's subjects were there already and the Lady of Belle Dame herself led me to my place. I was honored to have been placed next to her!

The feast was amazing.
We ate and drank and had merry conversations. We might or might not have burped as well, but I'll not specify.
It was absolutely insane, the quality and variety of the food, the amount... Every bite was a new attribute point for me, with all the huge bonuses from all the fancy symbelware, the silk stuff, the bonfire and charisma bonuses from everyone... I've gained hundreds of attribute points - literally - and they have been a huge help so far.
It was great!

Every time we ran out of food, we'd go to the other floor where cupboards were filled with stuff for us to delight ourselves.

There I was, wondering what to eat next, when I saw the Sheriff King himself browsing the cupboards...

"Where are the honey buns?" I hear him...
... :roll:

I'M SORRY, MY KING, I ATE ALL THE HONEY BUNS. :oops:
They were very tasty...
The Lady of Belle Dame is an awesome host & a great cook!

Anyway... We were eating so much that eventually I decided to roast some raw mammoth meat that was available and kindly offered by the Lady.

But then I heard music nearby.
I've looked around and saw the King practicing with a fiddle near the Bonfire.

I joined him and started rocking my unique dance moves.
I call it the Crazy Mountain Bear Style.

It was very good, so we decided to take the show inside...

And so the rest of the night went on, with great music, great people, great food and all... within a great hall.
Hah!
Ok, sorry, that was horrible.

But it was a night to remember!

Back home, I've started to make plans for my own feast...
Hopefully, it will be as fun as this one!

This is probably the last chapter before Christmas, so...
Happy Christmas, everyone! :)

Cool hat
Last edited by MagicManICT on Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: hide tags added; use a bit of forum netiquette, please
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby DaniAngione » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:27 pm

shubla wrote:Cool hat

:D
That's a... big quote :P
W15 ???
DaniAngione

Re: The Revenant: Wulf's Retreat - Chapter 17!

Postby DaniAngione » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:33 am

A lot has happened in the past week or so. Unfortunately, many things couldn't be registered because I was traveling and didn't have a proper computer with a screenshot utility set up, nor the time to actually take screenshots.
But to every person that passed by the Retreat and brought gifts or presents and all the nice people that I've met recently: a big and heartfelt thank you!

CHAPTER 18:
THE LAST DAYS

A lot has happened since the last entry to this journal.

I've finally reformed the Leather Tanning area, making new and better tubs and adding a couple more - to be the same amount as drying racks - so it is more coherent.
I've also built a cistern for tanning fluid. They're great, it was my first cistern and I felt bad for ignoring them at first. I'll certainly build more cisterns in the future!

Not only that, but I finally started to produce high quality steel in larger amounts!
It was slightly boring to split all the blocks to make the necessary amount of fuel - especially because I had to be careful about fueling times during my trip - but it was worth it. The resulting steel was very nice and would've probably been very useful under different circumstances...

And since we were already hard at work, why not rebuild all the bee skeps with higher quality materials? I'd need better wax to increase my leather quality, after all.
It's fun to build skeps - if you enjoy a sting or two...

But there's also a feast to be held, of course!

After finally confirming a date and time for my New Year's Feast, preparations started at full speed.
The first thing I've started to do was stockpile produce so I could prepare a lot of food - a lot more than I usually prepare for myself.

But there was the fun part as well!
Figuring out a table layout was probably one of the most satisfying things I've done in a long time, and I must say I'm very happy with what I've come up with. A semi-circle shape around the bonfire seemed not only obvious but incredibly nice and cozy.
Not only that, but I've started working on the interior of the Great Hall - which shall be revealed in the feast itself.

And there's also this... little project.
It's pretty evident, I guess. But if you're attending the Feast, you'll know more about it sooner than you expect - so let's keep the surprises!

After a lot of sawing, chopping, more sawing, hammering, drinking and a bit more sawing... The tables and chairs were finally complete!
As you might've noticed, I've also changed the main chairs (near the idol) for stone thrones made out of gold and black ore.
Seemed appropriate, as the good fortune found deep within the heart of the Mountain is a symbol of the Retreat.

After I was done, I decided to light the bonfire and check the illumination... I must say it is very nice.
I just love the flickering flame on a cold night...

After most of the work was done, my pal Z - who has helped me A LOT during preparations and I must say that the Feast wouldn't be the same without him, so... Applause! - secretly built snow forts outside and challenged me to...
THE ULTIMATE SNOW BATTLE!

It was very fun. Actually funnier than I would've guessed. The snow piles form nice covers and it is very fun to run around dodging attacks and throwing balls.

It was the night after christmas, after all... And I had received a very lovely gift from Santa!
He even sent his nice elf to check if the present was well received!

Thank you very much, Santa!
It was a very nice chest filled with curios, delicious food and other goodies.
His Elf is a very nice fellow as well and we had a wonderful chat. Before he left - to somewhere I know - I've kindly asked him to deliver a message... It is a time of good will, after all. Hopefully it got through ;) Thank you, little Elf!

On the following night, I receive a very nice visit from the Ghost.
She wishes to show me something and asks me to follow her. We walk around the wilderness a bit until we reach a very curious formation...

She calls it the "Tree of Blooming Dreams". It is a beautiful piece created by her, using bushes on a very weird natural cliff formation. It was a very special thing and I brought a boar as an offering to the Tree.
It made me really happy to see her work.

We stare into the horizon from a cliff nearby, happy with the things we've been achieving this world. Everything is going so well: the Retreat is better than ever, holidays are here, there's a big feast coming, with her help I've been gathering a lot of high quality materials for a Knarr...

What could possibly go wrong?

Everyone knew it.
We always knew it. Deep inside, this knowledge is both the curse and the gift of every Hearthling: nothing lasts forever. Everything changes, every world... ends.

We felt it deep inside, the heart of the land drumming, whispering its last wishes. The last sunsets, the last sunrises...
Like wildfire, news and the perception of the upcoming doom spread across the hearthlands...

With the promise of a new dawn and the end of the days on this world, the fear of loss and the fear of death become meaningless...
Rage and chaos everywhere, deaths, raids, destruction...

Not long after those news and under an ominous full moon, a group of people apparently from Dis show up.
I get inside, a friend tipped me before they arrived. "They're heading your way", I'm told.
Reason is uncertain, but they add "They're looking for a fight."

I'll never know if it's true or not. They were more or less friendly. Didn't ignore me entirely but didn't chat either. Just rolled around for a while.

Oddly (or funny?) enough, they seem to have enjoyed playing snowball fight in Z's snow fort.
Way to go, Z! Everyone loves your snow fort!

Good for them, I guess :)
Everyone is welcome to the Retreat, after all. Just don't expect me to go outside with so many battleaxes around, heh.
I hope they've enjoyed their visit and expect to see them on the feast!

On the next morning, a new priority has taken over.
If the world is heading to its end... then something must be done before the last day.
The Dawnbreak - my so dreamed Knarr - must be finished.

In the end, I shall sail Into the West.

So I cut all my pine and start burning it. Not much more was needed though...

Soon enough it is complete.
Dawnbreak, in all its glory.

The White Harbour serves well as a home for the Knarr. I can't resist, however, so I set sail for a bit...

I come back at sunset, its shiny white sails washed pink by the last rays of light peeking through the hills... One of the last twilights of this world.
No time for tears, though...
I always knew it - all things would come to pass.

Besides there's a lot of work to be done!

Everything is pretty much ready!
There's plenty of wine...

And, of course, plenty of beer as well.

It is almost done.
The New Year's feast has turned into the End of the World's Feast.

Tonight, we shall dine on the mountain and under the stars!
One last time...

( For information regarding the Event, check out this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=52475 )
W15 ???