Patch Anticipation Station

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Patch Anticipation Station

Postby Jacobian123 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:41 am

Thedrah wrote:floating points will fix what? pathfinding?

i want object controlled objects so we can have bridges and such

Likely coming next world.
W3-W8 - Hermit
W9 - (Ex)-Leader of Vidarrheim

Image Image Image
Jacobian123

Postby vatas » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:52 am

I had misconception that floating point coordinates would allow bridges but I guess its at least step towards it. Floating point coordinates probably allow making hitboxes that are better shaped like the models so its easier to navigate across objects without using custom client feature that shows hitboxes. Maybe hitboxes could even be circular with floating point coordinates.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby Granger » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:29 am

Floating point coordinates allow gliding along hitboxes: with them pushing you out a little bit on collision puts you at a different place (numeric wise before rounding for display) every movement tick so the move can continue, while current integer coordinates push you to the (numeric) place you had been before the tick so the server sees it as movement being blocked, thus ending it and leaving you cursing and clicking again.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby ven » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:53 pm

vatas wrote:I had misconception that floating point coordinates would allow bridges but I guess its at least step towards it.

XCOM already explained how bridges could be possible under the legacy system. It made sense to me, at least.
Venator
ven

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:31 pm

They don't fix anything themselves. They just allow for what granger mentioned a couple posts up. The sliding or "push out" algorithm would have to also be added, though in comparison to changing how coordinates are managed, is simple. I imagine it would allow other improvements to the system, too, though it could potentially cause some strange interactions since floating point numbers are nowhere near precise.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby iamahh » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:34 am

iamahh

Postby Amanda44 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:27 am

iamahh wrote:Image

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby xdragonlord18 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:14 am

MagicManICT wrote:

They don't fix anything themselves. They just allow for what granger mentioned a couple posts up. The sliding or "push out" algorithm would have to also be added, though in comparison to changing how coordinates are managed, is simple. I imagine it would allow other improvements to the system, too, though it could potentially cause some strange interactions since floating point numbers are nowhere near precise.

floating point numbers are about as precise as you can get though i guess not in java either way though its far more precise than what were using now and another thing it would allow for is better pathing
Ysh wrote:You all forget that bucket is include. I think with bucket it is fair price.
xdragonlord18

Postby Granger » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:31 pm

xdragonlord18 wrote:floating point numbers are about as precise as you can get

Actually they are not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_ ... y_problems
But they're good enough to solve some problems that integer numbers have when being used for a coarse absolute coordinate system in a game, like haven does.

Simply switching to a finer grained integer coordinate system would have done the trick more easily since most of the code could have been kept as-is, but Loftar ignored that suggestion for some reason he didn't disclose.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby xdragonlord18 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:43 pm

Granger wrote:
xdragonlord18 wrote:floating point numbers are about as precise as you can get

Actually they are not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_ ... y_problems
But they're good enough to solve some problems that integer numbers have when being used for a coarse absolute coordinate system in a game, like haven does.

Simply switching to a finer grained integer coordinate system would have done the trick more easily since most of the code could have been kept as-is, but Loftar ignored that suggestion for some reason he didn't disclose.

it being not as precise is a problem with how its done on computers not a problem with floating points which is simply a number with no fixed amount of digits before or after the decimal so it can represent any degree of precision
Ysh wrote:You all forget that bucket is include. I think with bucket it is fair price.
xdragonlord18

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar