Are there legacy servers yet?

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Are there legacy servers yet?

Postby Ysh » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:29 pm

vatas wrote:I understand people like and still like the legacy graphics. They remind of good old 8-bit days and manage to have more spirit in them than many AAA releases. However the isometric view is irreperately constricting. Remember that all houses had to have their door face to south, you couldn't rotate them.

Current graphics are fine in my opinion. They manage to maintain the core spirit of legacy graphics, or at least not looking like plastic like much of the stuff in Salem does.

I think current graphics has many charm as well. It does growing on you.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Kaios » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:30 pm

vatas wrote:I understand people like and still like the legacy graphics. They remind of good old 8-bit days and manage to have more spirit in them than many AAA releases. However the isometric view is irreperately constricting. Remember that all houses had to have their door face to south, you couldn't rotate them.

Current graphics are fine in my opinion. They manage to maintain the core spirit of legacy graphics, or at least not looking like plastic like much of the stuff in Salem does.

It appears to me there's always some nostalgia related reason behind those feelings. "I had fun during this and now I'm not having fun so maybe if we get this back I'll have fun again" but I've always found after you go back to the thing you think you'll enjoy more you end up realizing it wasn't as great as you made it out to be.
Kaios

Postby Ysh » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:35 pm

Kaios wrote:I've always found after you go back to the thing you think you'll enjoy more you end up realizing it wasn't as great as you made it out to be.

There are some thing that are actual good. I will still play this ''Super Mario World'' game on SNES. But usually I am agreement to you.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby LadyV » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:44 pm

Kaios wrote:

It appears to me there's always some nostalgia related reason behind those feelings. "I had fun during this and now I'm not having fun so maybe if we get this back I'll have fun again" but I've always found after you go back to the thing you think you'll enjoy more you end up realizing it wasn't as great as you made it out to be.

In this case I will disagree. The simplicity of Legacy is much more attractive to me. The 3d images we have now are nice but they have spawned new problems in themselves. Three numbers for quality instead of one....eh no thanks. Combat was much more desirable than this new card system. In all honesty what i wanted when they redid things was Legacy refined and new things added. It in its self was fine and the result of much fine tuning already. The new version can still be good but it needs a lot of soul added to it...something it still lacks. So back to my point. In this case I would much prefer legacy Haven. I have not given up on the new version but it is limited and not near as fun.
LadyV

Postby Kaios » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:53 pm

In what way is it limited compared to legacy and how can legacy be simpler if that is the case? Not that I don't get the simple is better argument because I've used it on several occasions before but vatas just gave a great point about the houses always having to face the same direction in legacy where as in this version we get so much more freedom in terms of how we design our villages even as far as the very colours used on almost every structure we can build now. These are very nice things to have.

I guess if you think the combat was more desirable that's fair but the card system is much simpler and apparently you like simple better so idk what you're really looking for.
Kaios

Postby LadyV » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:57 pm

Kaios wrote:In what way is it limited compared to legacy and how can legacy be simpler if that is the case? Not that I don't get the simple is better argument because I've used it on several occasions before but vatas just gave a great point about the houses always having to face the same direction in legacy where as in this version we get so much more freedom in terms of how we design our villages even as far as the very colours used on almost every structure we can build now. These are very nice things to have.

I guess if you think the combat was more desirable that's fair but the card system is much simpler and apparently you like simple better so idk what you're really looking for.

It is limited in enjoyment. Everything is much more burdensome task, except collecting things. ie. rope walks just to begin making ropes...when you should be able to hand weave them.

The rotation issue I agree with but it could have been done the old system they just didn't do it.

To me the old combat was easier to handle than the card system.
LadyV

Postby Kaios » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:00 pm

Honestly it just seems like most people take issue with the new graphics it just isn't their thing for some reason, yeah you list some other stuff but all that stuff could just as well have been an issue in legacy as it could here. They could have added a rope walk, they could have implemented tri quality, they could have redone combat and those things would still be annoying regardless of the version.
Kaios

Postby Astarisk » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:09 pm

Kaios wrote:Honestly it just seems like most people take issue with the new graphics it just isn't their thing for some reason, yeah you list some other stuff but all that stuff could just as well have been an issue in legacy as it could here. They could have added a rope walk, they could have implemented tri quality, they could have redone combat and those things would still be annoying regardless of the version.

Yeah, pretty much this. "Legacy" would have eventually evolved newly similar systems that exist in hafen. These changes aren't related to the graphics at all, just the core game play.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby shubla » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:21 pm

jorb wrote:I see very little point in trying to force weekly updates.

Some updates would still be nice.
It has been ages with only few updates. And only thing you have done is added bagpipes and tweaked few numbers :roll:
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:31 pm

Ysh wrote:I think current graphics has many charm as well. It does growing on you.

Fake, the FPS you're getting is way too high.
DDDsDD999

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar