H&H Community Review

General discussion and socializing.

Re: H&H Community Review

Postby xTrainx » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:43 am

Jalpha wrote:Can you name a game written in Java which doesn't experience performance issues? Particularly one as complex as Hafen

minecraft
xTrainx

Postby Jalpha » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:50 am

Minecraft has rectified its performance issues particularly on large maps with lots of structures? I wasn't aware, it's been a long time since I played it last. In an aside that game lead to my discovery of Hafen.

In any case that would offer some hope.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:16 am

Minecraft is just the largest, and yes, performance keeps improving, though I still don't think it could be at where it should be. (Given what it is, it's going to be hard to get it to perform exceptionally in any language.) I can name at least a few others. The games I've played from Three Rings in the past (Puzzle Pirates, Spiral Knights) have had some specific issues, but weren't complete frame rate death.

Most of the well performing Java games I know use the open source Lightweight Java Game Library, but it has its limitations. Mostly it's updated by the devs that use the engine, though it had its start before as a means for developing cross-platform games before Unity and newer tools became available.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby jordancoles » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:30 am

Runescape

BOOOOOOOM
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Jalpha » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:45 am

Runescape has performance issues.

Well, again it's a game I haven't played for near on a decade now and in that time the core mechanics of the game haven't seen much change so all they have had to work on has been performance issues really. So you may be right, but it's taken some time and effort.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby Headchef » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:02 pm

Runescape mostly has server issues, not really performance.

But to be honest you cannot compare it with HnH since it has been running for a long time with a huge team of people being able to eat of it for years so they can get way more done.

Think HnH is very great considering it's only two people.
Headchef

Postby sMartins » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:47 pm

Headchef wrote:Think HnH is very great considering it's only two people.

I think exactly the same. Loftar did an awesome work.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby shubla » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:52 pm

Jalpha wrote:Can you name a game written in Java which doesn't experience performance issues? Particularly one as complex as Hafen. It might be fine for phone games but that's about it.

It's a complicated way of programming, it's way too bulky and needs a lot of stuff going on to make basic stuff work in conjunction. It's a bloated programming language from the perspective of the machine attempting to process and render it. Ther is (or seems to be) very little allowance for streamlining and efficiencies which would enhance performance.

It takes a lot of the work out of programming I guess as a lot of the groundwork is done for the programmer so you don't have to build an engine from scratch so to speak but that comes at the cost of performance.

No, I'm not a programmer and my understanding of programming is cursory but that doesn't change the simple fact that complex Java games run like shjt.

InB4 Java fanbois appear trying to deny this and roast me.

Yeah, why do people code in java?
Why not just code in machine language for maximum efficieny! Dumb devs! Why use programming languages when they are so inefficient compared to machine language. get brains! coders!!111
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Jalpha » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:23 pm

I'll pretend you aren't trolling and point out that I addressed this already in an earlier post where I mentioned that it makes things easier for the programmers because a lot of the groundwork has already been done.

This is really a wider complaint of mine about java, not hafen specific. I seriously wish a new a lot more effort would be put into a new language which resolves the issues java has insread of just every new programmer contributing to the bloat.

I was looking into becoming a programmer but with the focus and future of the field having so much focus on java I lost all interest.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby stya » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:14 am

Jalpha wrote:I was looking into becoming a programmer but with the focus and future of the field having so much focus on java I lost all interest.

My turn to pretend you're not trolling, millions of programmers don't use Java you know?

https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/developers-demographic-survey#sm.00000urbx9n13idfby3rpud777tli
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_engineering_demographics

And yes I'm a programmer and I use Java ¦]
stya

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar