Re: The only world reset/wipe requests/discussion topic

Postby joojoo1975 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:45 pm

eve is a single server, but they have pve areas and pvp

though you can "pvp" anywhere in Eve just gotta kill em before Concord(guard NPCs) kill you
To Protect The Helpless From The Heartless
joojoo1975

Postby Zentetsuken » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:27 pm

joojoo1975 wrote:eve is a single server, but they have pve areas and pvp

though you can "pvp" anywhere in Eve just gotta kill em before Concord(guard NPCs) kill you

Nothing about EVE is comparable to Haven. It has 100s of thousands of more active players, a world that is 1000s of times larger and a well-thought out and professionally developed game with an entire dev team that is babying it with constanst care and updates to deliver a polished game.

It makes zero sense to compare them.
Zentetsuken

Postby Jalpha » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:33 pm

I think it's valid to compare Hafen with many games including EVE. I could rattle off many flaws EVE has, however its most relevant success is the persistent world. Fairly certain that is the end goal of Seatribe too.

Did anyone follow the Steam release of Wurm and how it faired post Wurm:YO? Wurm also has persistent servers btw.

I find it unlikely tree convos will necessitate a wipe. Really only OCO would modify gameplay enough.

I like lateworld though. The goal of competing with Botting, faction-fed titans is an unachievable fantasy for most people anyway.

Ruins add value to the experience.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby dageir » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:52 am

As I have stated before: I think Haven might be ready for a broader market, but would benefit from having the world distributed on multiple servers/shards. For instance one server/shard for each continent with travel between using gates/whirlpools. This could increase the games capacity to host thousands of players at the same time. There should be different resources on different continents to promote trade/colonization.
dageir

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:45 pm

lmao "haven is ready for the broader market"

Speed hacks have been public knowledge for years and AFAIK there hasn't even been an attempt to fix them.
The entire thingwall network can be monopolized or made unusable with minimal effort.
There is no functional PVP client.
If you DDOS the DNS server you can chain crash anybody in an area and prevent them from logging in until you kill them.
The game could be made unplayable by scripts as simple as register>make account>spawn character until world is full of HFs.
We're like 5-6 years into having realm chat and there's no ignore feature, heck, if somebody PMs you there's no way to make them stop spamming you with PMs every 20 MS outside of waiting for server reset to clear the chat window.

Jorbtar gets SO MUCH slack because of this being a niche game with a small population with AFAIK no malicious actors. I am doubtful they could handle a bigger player-base.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Undercio » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:13 pm

Well,
Ive really enjoyed playing all these worlds (since 5-6 i think, old times)... but it seems w14 will (close to) never exist.
Great ideas that never happend... and will probably not.
im rly tired to wait for new world as current one is dead.
Have fun friends.
Have fun enemies ;)

Ill be back, maybe ;)
Undercio

Postby bumfrog » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:17 pm

I absolutely agree with the notion that two swedes who can barely manage a 4k sprite a week are categorically incapable of dealing with the problems a large or even mid-tier MMO face, but

SnuggleSnail wrote:this being a niche game with a small population with AFAIK no malicious actors.

I mean…

not entirely accurate to say “no” bad actors
bumfrog
Under curfew

Postby jock » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:04 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:lmao "haven is ready for the broader market"

Speed hacks have been public knowledge for years and AFAIK there hasn't even been an attempt to fix them.
The entire thingwall network can be monopolized or made unusable with minimal effort.
There is no functional PVP client.
If you DDOS the DNS server you can chain crash anybody in an area and prevent them from logging in until you kill them.
The game could be made unplayable by scripts as simple as register>make account>spawn character until world is full of HFs.
We're like 5-6 years into having realm chat and there's no ignore feature, heck, if somebody PMs you there's no way to make them stop spamming you with PMs every 20 MS outside of waiting for server reset to clear the chat window.

Jorbtar gets SO MUCH slack because of this being a niche game with a small population with AFAIK no malicious actors. I am doubtful they could handle a bigger player-base.

I concur. Private servers are the only sollution.
jock

Postby jock » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:07 pm

Fast travel is bad imo especially when it's free. The thingwall set up and provinces are genius. Just need to be utilised right.
jock

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:55 pm

bumfrog wrote:entirely accurate to say “no” bad actors[/hide]

Do you have anybody in mind? I can't give a single surefire example of somebody with a vandetta trying to fuck with Jorbtar/seatribe
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to Misc.