Re: The only world reset/wipe requests/discussion topic

Postby DRetZ » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:57 am

is it worth to play right now ? or i should wait for the world 13 ?
W12 : Dret
W13 : VeNN
W14 : Mr.R
W15 : Mr.Stubborn A

GMT/UTC : +7 Indonesia
DRetZ

Postby kabuto202 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:17 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
kabuto202 wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:Again, pointing at a complicated & subjective issue and saying fix it doesn't rly do anything

Remember that time that a gamer provided a solution to a problem and it was a good solution that didn't cause 50 other issues? Yeah neither do I.

It's not the player's job to solve the design issues with a game. That's the developer's job. Players are most useful when identifying things they like or don't like, but are consistently shit at getting to the root of the issue. People who think otherwise are just clueless.

To be fair, small team indie devs don't really have a great track record of solving them, either. Big team, big budget studios that can create a dozen solutions and throw them at a team of playtesters and product testing come up with "ideal" solutions.... More often than not, but it still isn't a sure thing. In my opinion, a good idea is as likely to come from players that take a strong logical approach to the issue as from the small indie dev team. Even if that idea isn't implemented 100% as stated, it's a start to the fix.

You're painting a large swath of vastly different studios in both experience in resources under the term indie. Also you don't need big budgets to solve game design problems. Do you honestly think every indie darling released just "got it right" on the first try? It's just a function of time and proficiency, which is why people who don't make games for a living tend to be a bit shite at it.
kabuto202

Postby Phaen » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:19 pm

DRetZ wrote:is it worth to play right now ? or i should wait for the world 13 ?

Unless you plan on playing competitively (whatever that means) it doesn't matter if the world is fresh. I enjoy exploring abandoned places and that's only available late world =)
Phaen

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:28 pm

kabuto202 wrote:It's just a function of time and proficiency, which is why people who don't make games for a living tend to be a bit shite at it.

"Problem solving" is a skill like any other. Some people are natural at it, some have to work hard to learn it. Everyone has to practice at it to be great. Yes, it's a very, very large field out there of both amateurs and professionals. Some of the amateurs are way better at it than some of the best professionals. Career choice has little to do with it. Look at Curt Shilling. Never built a game in his life, yet came up with the Amalur setting after coming off a career in baseball. (He just didn't know how to manage a corporate level entity and got the company under water fast.) Flip side of that is a guy like Peter Molyneux. Great game designer, professional in every way, yet couldn't solve his own problems that he created for himself and pretty much got black balled out of the industry for more than a few years. A positive example is Eric Barone (ConcernedApe--Stardew Valley): first real attempt at developing a game, went at it solo, listened to his early access community. AAA level success on a garage band level budget (to start). (Or would "basement hacker" be more apropos for starting indie game devs? :) )

There's tons more examples out there of people who know what they're doing, and people that don't know what they're doing. If you look at the averages, you'll find that, if I'm not exactly correct, I ain't far off the mark. Good game design is about perseverence and trial and error. If you don't have the guts for either of those, you end up like so much other junk and 'abandonware' early access titles on Steam. Some devs want ideas from the community, not just the feedback of "this feels right" or "this is not engaging me." Some only want "I see this problem that needs to be fixed, as this is happening."
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby kabuto202 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:49 am

MagicManICT wrote:
kabuto202 wrote:It's just a function of time and proficiency, which is why people who don't make games for a living tend to be a bit shite at it.

"Problem solving" is a skill like any other. Some people are natural at it, some have to work hard to learn it. Everyone has to practice at it to be great. Yes, it's a very, very large field out there of both amateurs and professionals. Some of the amateurs are way better at it than some of the best professionals. Career choice has little to do with it. Look at Curt Shilling. Never built a game in his life, yet came up with the Amalur setting after coming off a career in baseball. (He just didn't know how to manage a corporate level entity and got the company under water fast.) Flip side of that is a guy like Peter Molyneux. Great game designer, professional in every way, yet couldn't solve his own problems that he created for himself and pretty much got black balled out of the industry for more than a few years. A positive example is Eric Barone (ConcernedApe--Stardew Valley): first real attempt at developing a game, went at it solo, listened to his early access community. AAA level success on a garage band level budget (to start). (Or would "basement hacker" be more apropos for starting indie game devs? :) )

There's tons more examples out there of people who know what they're doing, and people that don't know what they're doing. If you look at the averages, you'll find that, if I'm not exactly correct, I ain't far off the mark. Good game design is about perseverence and trial and error. If you don't have the guts for either of those, you end up like so much other junk and 'abandonware' early access titles on Steam. Some devs want ideas from the community, not just the feedback of "this feels right" or "this is not engaging me." Some only want "I see this problem that needs to be fixed, as this is happening."

What are you even going on about? First of all Shilling wasn't a designer on Amalur, Amalur was made by a 450 person company, and is also not what I would point at as "good game design". Coincidentally, Molyneux's games have many flaws, their designs is absolutely not one of them. They range from at worst being functional to at best being functional and innovative. Also, Stardew Valley? Early access? What? Stardew Valley was never in early access. Also Barone's project was a classic example of self-inflicted development hell where he basically restarted it like half a dozen times because he didn't like some random aspects. Like your own examples, are contradictory to the point you're trying to make.

Like seriously. This:
MagicManICT wrote:Everyone has to practice at it to be great.

Contradicts with:
MagicManICT wrote:Career choice has little to do with it.

It's almost like. IDK. Spending 1/3rd of every day doing something builds up are a lot more practice a lot faster than people who just shit post on the internet 24/7.
kabuto202

Postby kabuto202 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:01 pm

New Year, New World?
kabuto202

Postby Nightdawg » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:40 pm

kabuto202 wrote:New Year, New World?

We're waiting for Dakkan to finish his grand graveyard.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Mortis123 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:53 am

Me and my friends are also waiting for wipe and world 13 :)
Mortis123

Postby Zentetsuken » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:14 pm

Mortis123 wrote:

Me and my friends are also waiting for wipe and world 13 :)

my grandfather is on his deathbed and it is his last dying wish
Zentetsuken

Its time to celebrate new world

Postby SkyFury » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:32 pm

Pray for 1st february, great date to start
SkyFury

PreviousNext

Return to Misc.