Haven and Hearth VS Salem mega thread (click for more info)

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Haven and Hearth VS Salem mega thread (click for more in

Postby vatas » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:02 am

Sorry for necro-bump but found this wile searching unrelated stuff. I find this topic fascinating.

I also got hit with "You quit the game? Welcome back, your characters have been stripped naked."

Last time I tried Salem was after Haven had already implemented push-out and I did not enjoy full-stop due to two pixel's worth of collision with whatever I tried to pass by.

I like many concepts of Salem, the general lack of quality system is both a blessing and a curse. I admit it would be nice to be able to build all your infrastructure without having to worry about their quality values (and only ONCE) but that just brings you to the "just grind up character stats" phase quicker. Some video about WoW raids (entirely different concept yes but follow me) was that too much thrash mobs ruins a raid, but so does zero thrash. It might be same with rebuilding your infrastructure.

Salem was designed with bots in mind, as in trying to make botting prohibitive or optimally, unnecessary. For some things it works I guess, but I highly doubt they fully eliminated it. When I played there was talk about devs mercilessly nuking botters but aside them manually and randomly checking on people, they probably just pushed them deep underground with all bots being private. Some mechanics bot could probably even avoid better than a newbie, like insanity. Bot knows to study cheap curiosity once in a while to reduce insanity while newbie gains madness level that potentially ruins their character as you need some resources to get rid of them.

Then there's asinine stuff like character happily carrying stuff over their head until they KO themselves from having zero yellow bile. Combine this with storage space being much more expensive in Salem than in Haven and you'll find most of your stuff on the ground, quickly decaying and some items disappearing immediately.

I think there were also some problems with mapgen (devs may have tried permanent world approach too soon) or at least the last village I was in relocated in a place where we thought we could build nice rectangle-shaped base but turns out there was cliff on the way that formed too tight of a cranny so that it couldn't be filled and we had to go around it.

One of the great -and possibly superior to Haven- things in Salem was making Wrought Iron. While simple craft with small wait time and RNG slapped on it, in Salem Wrought Iron is made in co-ordinated team effort with people organized to maintain flow of coal into the finery forge, pounding the bloom and putting new cast iron into the forge. In the aforementioned village we had maybe up to 5 people make possibly up to 100 bars in a single session for trading, later there was just me and two friends making stuff we needed. Of course it sucks for hermit (doable but very slow solo) but at both cases we were able to adjust the setup based on our headcount to make it as efficient as possible.

Entering territory of things I can't confirm and rumors, but allegedly the devs are extremely corrupt or at least questionably close with the top players. (Was it even already joked in this thread that the "Mortal Moments" the current developer and "Tribe" the top faction being the same thing?)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:15 am

vatas wrote:(Was it even already joked in this thread that the "Mortal Moments" the current developer and "Tribe" the top faction being the same thing?)

They were, at least, when Salem was acquired by Mortal Moments from Seatribe. Today? No clue.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby SumFaggotPlayTester » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:16 am

From what I remember dredging through, the threads in Salem still exist but I can't be arsed to go look them up, MM fucked over the Tribe. Member of the Tribe made a big ol' post on it thats still there in their version of the moot. Outside of that the only other thing was Darworth getting ass blasted by the second admin of the game abusing his position to kill his top character I think. Worse being their forum admin, who jani'd after Seatribe left, TotallyMeow confirmed a lot of the corruption that went on before also leaving. In their version of Brodgar that thread is there; was the one started by Dar's ass blasting by Mark if I remember right.

To be frank. Jorb & Loftar are better game designers & admins. They're not going to ass blast you just because you're mentally handicapped. cough cough Dunce hat for Clayet's retardation. cough cough I can't remember the other mod over there but they are still kicking around janing that place, think its Danny, but they can give a pretty good recap on what happened or direct you to the certain shit shows. Over all 4/10 would not play test game or forums again there. Dead game is dead.

Would say if H&H needed new mods to grab Danny or Totallymeow as they did a good job dealing with some of the, very, special "people" over there.
loftar wrote:On the other hand, there's also a case to be made that we're all faggots down here and all deserve to be treated as such and that we all just revel in that anyway.

Quit letting companies make free shekels off of you; install UBlock today. Or better yet kick Google in the balls and install AdNauseam.
SumFaggotPlayTester

Previous

Return to The Inn of Brodgar