Haven and Hearth VS Salem mega thread (click for more info)

General discussion and socializing.

Haven and Hearth VS Salem mega thread (click for more info)

Postby donatas » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:41 pm

I was searching through the forums and couldn't find anything resembling of this. For those who ask why Haven and Hearth vs Salem I would say simply because those 2 games were made by same developers, have similar graphics and games are almost identical to one another.
So I thought why not make a mega thread of likes, dislikes, comparisons and just general discussion of these 2 and your in depth personal experience with these 2 games made by Jorb and Loftar.
Last edited by donatas on Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
donatas

Re: Haven and Hearth VS Salem mega threat (click for more in

Postby donatas » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:44 pm

First things first what do you guys think of the skills system where Haven and Hearth has around 30 to 40 skills, while Salem like 100 and just for more simplest things like reading signs or just to be able to collect bark.
Do you guys think that Salem is doing bit too much or you guys wish that Haven and Hearth would have more skills, but reasonable skills. Not like Salem a skill to do alomost anything in game, for example walking skill, jumping down or up the cliff skill and so on.
donatas

Re: Haven and Hearth VS Salem mega thread (click for more in

Postby Sevenless » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:18 am

Honestly, I've always viewed Haven vs Salem this way: Roughly the same ingredients went into them (some were substituted a bit to similar looking things), in roughly the same amounts, and Salem failed to gain any of the magic that Haven has.

I'm not really sure why this happened, in fact I haven't yet met anyone who claims to truly understand what went wrong, but that's just how I've always viewed it.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby sMartins » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:36 am

Cause Salem is a commercial attempt of Haven.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Sevenless » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:54 am

sMartins wrote:Cause Salem is a commercial attempt of Haven.

Money had nothing to do with it. I'm not referring to the monetization (I had no issues with it, wasn't particularly influenced because I could pay for what I needed), I'm referring to the game itself.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby sMartins » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:06 am

Well....commercial doesn't mean just money, but also mass people tastes, easier to understand features, and so on .... so devs weren't doing just what they love, like with Haven, but also trying to appetite pubblic ... that's why Salem has less "soul" than Haven, at least to me.
P.S. And probably also time restrictions on development were a big thing in this regard.
P.P.S. Now i think better at the language, probably in English commercial means just money ... that's interesting how language change the way we think.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby jordancoles » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:28 am

donatas wrote:games are almost identical to one another.

Where do you get your drugs?
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby DDDsDD999 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:08 am

H&H winner by KO, end of thread.
DDDsDD999

Postby donatas » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:56 am

DDDsDD999 wrote:H&H winner by KO, end of thread.

You don't seem to get the point of this thread, its not an actual versus, but rather a discussion of the 2 and how people feel about them, since they were created by the same developers and are very similar in play-style.
donatas

Postby NOOBY93 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:02 am

Salem was kinda fun but the biles mechanic was tedious as fuck (I dare say more tedious than the dirt hunger mechanics we have in Haven), no teleportation with stuff in inventory meant you got to travel less, so you basically repeated the same things over and over, safezone area anyone can teleport to meant that there was no charm in seeing another player whereas in Haven you shit yourself and then get killed, kill, or make a friend, the graphics did NOT fit to that type of game, they were uncanny and creepy, silver mechanic was another forced currency (Haven had nothing forced by the developers, no prebuilts, no currencies, no safezones, everything was playermade which is another charming aspect)

Haven on the other hand has an absolute dogshit early game (satiations and hunger come to mind) for anyone who doesn't know 100% what they're doing, whereas Salem has a quite nice and faster-paced, easier to understand early game, if I had to play early only I'd choose Salem any day.

Also Salem probably had a better combat system than what Haven does now.
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar