Haven and Hearth VS Salem mega thread (click for more info)

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Haven and Hearth VS Salem mega thread (click for more in

Postby Gensokyo » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:36 am

I liked salem a lot, I never got too far into it because I kind of gave up playing after I had reached the point where I needed to wait for my cap to refill for the third time after being engulfed in fish gut potions, majorly limiting my progress because my black bile was pretty much turds.

None the less, I really enjoyed how the game actually tried being more skillbased in every way, from gaining skills and max proficiency by doing math and figuring out what the most reasonable things to study were for your certain needs and combat actually requiring you to use your reflexes and nogging at times as well, rather than playing ghetto yugioh while being limited to 10 skills, In salem I even reached the point where I managed to bludgeon a beaver to death on my first day without abusing any glitches or sort by interrupting it's attacks by using a mace, sure, I still got my ass beaten to a pulp in the end, but it was very satisfying actually being able to win a combat because I tried my best instead of spending hours upon hours on a hamsterwheel and a RNG unlock system.

also the darkness is a glorious concept and done pretty well
I'd complain about drying boards but haven has managed to induce the same amount of boredom of waitwalls for me by introducing 3.5 days of waiting for coal to burn (or playing with luck on an L2 node)
Gensokyo

Postby Potjeh » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:20 pm

Boston is the biggest reason why Salem sucks. Please never add such a thing in Haven.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby shubla » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:32 pm

Potjeh wrote:Boston is the biggest reason why Salem sucks. Please never add such a thing in Haven.

Boston is the biggest reason why Salem is not Haven.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Projeear » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:44 pm

Potjeh wrote:Boston is the biggest reason why Salem sucks. Please never add such a thing in Haven.

Pretty much. I'm not sure why, but Boston hurt my feelings. I think it was the fact that it was rather a 'shell' prop that never expanded and felt more like a real money marketplace, rather than some frontier.

If it were a living, breathing village... things are likely to have been far better.

I remember spending 80% of my time in Salem earthworking/terraforming, and 15% of my time fishing and standing and being in awe of my many, many drying fish. That was strangely one of my favourite parts of Salem. The fish drying.
Grand Walker of World 1 (w1).
Ex-Lawspeaker of New London, Deadwood and New Deadwood (w3).
Witness of the World 4 Great Explosion (w4).
Ex-Lawspeaker of Gregminster (w5).
Ex-Lawspeaker of Laketown (w6).
Squatter and Rebuilder of Templus Pacis (w6).
Hermit thereafter.
Lawspeaker of Tachbrookshire (Hafen 2)
Projeear

Postby donatas » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:53 pm

Now about the UI interface for crafting, building and so on. Personally I find Haven and Hearth much more tidier, but I guess that would change if I had all of recipes unlocked. But for Salem it is a strange one, because it would seem that the give you all recipes for one just item "discovered" for example if in haven you would have discovered log you would get every recipe that requires that item, even if you have no access to it, since that's what Salem does and haven and hearth doesn't do. Because you would only get a recipe once all items are discovered and are available to you, not like salem that mushes everything onto to you and you end up with things to craft, but no resources and just in general it feels unpleasant to navigate with. For example in Salem for every time you were to click on a recipe the whole menu would refresh and end up needing to go through it again and again, unlike haven and hearth which doesn't do that. Also unlike haven and hearth salem doesn't have the info box when hovering the mouse over the recipe telling you what food will give you or what inspirational will give you when you study it. Which can be yet again very frustrating. Sure I do enjoy the fast paced studying system, but it does get annoying very quickly.
On a side note the terrain in Salem is a giant mush of colors and not all foragables show up on minimap and not all animals also show up on the minimap and with foragables I end up click on the like an idiot, because I was thinking I could pick them up, because in haven and hearth it is obvious if its on minimap you can pick it up, but salem doesn't do that, which is just stupid.
Also lastly pathfinding which haven and hearth brought us something even better, but before then Salem was better because of WASD navigation, but your charterer would still get stuck onto things, but then haven and hearth came along with its unique and better version of pathfinding and got a lot better than salem.
So I would say that both are great games with their own flaws. But which flaws are most apparent to you guys for both of these games?
donatas

Postby jordancoles » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:26 am

Boston was cancer mainly because of the memorization mechanic

Anyone who went to boston was memo'd and described by the Tribe members and there was also the stupid right click > follow or right click > memorize abuses where people would keep the flower menu open until you ported home and then they would select one of the options to get the direction of your base (since your character would walk towards the player even after they ported)

This just lead to people with brains only going to Boston on alts and owning trade stands on alts that never left Boston because otherwise your base/character was at risk. It was just not fun in general.
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Potjeh » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:21 am

Yeah, it was mechanically terrible, but I hated it more because it was aesthetically terrible. Player built markets like we have in Haven feel a lot more alive. Plus getting a stall in Salem was bullshit, it just entrenched existing wealth instead of giving an even playing field in trade.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby jordancoles » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:09 am

Potjeh wrote:Yeah, it was mechanically terrible, but I hated it more because it was aesthetically terrible. Player built markets like we have in Haven feel a lot more alive. Plus getting a stall in Salem was bullshit, it just entrenched existing wealth instead of giving an even playing field in trade.

To get my stall in town I had to pull some shady shit

I found out that the guy who was living less than 2 minimaps away from my vault owned a stand, so after making friends on my alt I went down and murdered him on my main. He was pretty butthurt and when he decided to quit I bought his stand ownership on my alt for like 2k silver :)

It was stupid hard to get a stall in Salem and once you had it you basically beat the game lol, I was making 2k silver overnight selling trash foods while normal players barely had enough for backpacks
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Nikixos » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:31 pm

In all terms Salem's late game is way better, the game doesn't reduce to farming qualitys because you don't even have to, you can get a 500 biles character without farming crops at all, most efficient food is from meat and pots, you can also become a witch, build a base in the darkness and hunt monsters most noobs can only dream to see, plus almost all witchraft information is to be kept secret (because only another witch is supposed to craft you the doll neccesary to become one and that witch is supposed to be your "master" and teach you stuff, hence forum mods delete all information about it on the forums)
There is also
http://salemwiki.info/index.php/Exploration_Events that appear randomly on the map every season change,
http://salemwiki.info/index.php/Spermwhale
you can get inside those whales for awesome fertilizers and other inspirationals, the insides of a whale also works as another maze dimension,
and another dimension is the Dreamworld Image

Salem has a lot of stuff that haven doesn't and vice versa, they are both quite different games that belong to the same genre of survival pvp
Nikixos

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:44 am

The Tri... err Mortal Moments has done a lot of their own since they took over. It's not a bad game, but I could never quite get into it. I'll agree with several of the flaws, and some of them are core design concepts that will be hard to change, if at all.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar