Haven and Hearth VS Salem mega thread (click for more info)

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Haven and Hearth VS Salem mega thread (click for more in

Postby jordancoles » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:10 am

MagicManICT wrote:The Tri... err Mortal Moments has done a lot of their own since they took over. It's not a bad game, but I could never quite get into it. I'll agree with several of the flaws, and some of them are core design concepts that will be hard to change, if at all.

Insanity, biles in general and the porting mechanics are enough to turn most people away
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby HasseKebab » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:18 pm

It's a great game, but there is just too much bullshit in the game and the tribe won't even listen to any critique or just brush it off as trolling etc.

As it is now, Raiding and killing people is pretty much impossible except on expedition server but even there MM insisted on putting in TBC and stocks which just limit pvp(the expedition is meant to be a pvp server). This forces you to create alts for killing and raiding which makes having a main character pointless if it's not even allowed to do anything without getting killed during your sleep since the TBC timer for murder is like 4 hours.

And of course gaining the ability to kill people is locked behind a paywall since the skill in-game is literally impossible to get early game since it has a cost of like 300k+ CD.
You spend the money on getting the skill and then you have to grind up a new alt just so it can get TBC'ed and lose the char. Only way around this is to kill the char yourself and claim the 0.2$ bounty so you're not wasting the cash.

Trying to complain on this issue the only response from JC is "maybe you're just bad" etc.

TBC: summoning people on a range with super low timer on the summon and it's way too safe.
Stock: sell scent to NPC in boston for like 500s for a chance to make the char stuck in the stocks at boston for a certain amount of time(a day or so).
HasseKebab

Postby Sollar » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:31 am

Played a lot of Salem, both when it was under Seatribe (w/e Paradox) and then when switched to MM. There are some things I wish to say

- HnH has something that draws me back every world start for abour 3 month, until the stale, boring and repetitive end-game kicks in. Afer I quit Salem they made something to it so that my character sleeping in a leanto could be robbed clean while I was offline.When I tried to get back to Salem I found my character strip naked and all my posessions gone - INCLUDING stuff from the store paid with real money. I since then never returned to Salem nor will I do so ever again.

- Both games are ok if you play by your own but are way way better with friends. I consider my initial hermiting a tutorial in both games. The real fun started when I joined my first village. Also I usually quit when all my friends quit, as it was the case with every Salem and HnH past worlds.

- building and crafting - both games have some really nice initial development but turn into repetitive and tedious tasks that cut the fun of it in the end.

- PvE combat - Salem had the better combat and the better wildlife creatures. I still remember pulling off shenanigans like getting an argopelter in the aggro range of a bear roar and have them fight eachother, while collecting the loot from the one who died first. It's way more fun than boat block/punch to death early hunting from HnH. Also involves some skill - I remember the thrill of killing my first beaver, after mastering the skills, positioning and timing of the moves. Also different wildlife with completly different skills and approach is way better than the same creature with more stats like Haven feels right now.

PVP - Salem is better, as it involves skill, timing, positioning, while HnH only resorts to who has the higher stats. What good would it do to be a titan in Salem if you could not land any hit on your opponent?

As a conclussion - Haven comes on top in this comparaison, except for the combat and hunting.
Sollar

Postby Potjeh » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:17 am

Salem combat is a steaming pile of shit.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby jordancoles » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:05 pm

Potjeh wrote:Salem combat is a steaming pile of shit.

I wish someone had a recording of the pvp tournaments that happened on Roanoke
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby NOOBY93 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:32 pm

Potjeh wrote:Salem combat is a steaming pile of shit.

So is Haven's right now
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby Potjeh » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:54 pm

Sollar wrote:PVP - Salem is better, as it involves skill, timing, positioning, while HnH only resorts to who has the higher stats. What good would it do to be a titan in Salem if you could not land any hit on your opponent?

Isn't Salem's combat basically running around chasing eachother and landing zero hits until the guy with lower biles runs out of phlegm at which point he's dead?
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby NOOBY93 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:57 pm

Solution: when you aggro someone it installs dota 2 on both your computers, queues you into a 1v1 mid match, loser loses his character in Haven
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby Gensokyo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:03 pm

Potjeh wrote:Isn't Salem's combat basically running around chasing eachother and landing zero hits until the guy with lower biles runs out of phlegm at which point he's dead?

For haven that was water, for Hafen that is pony power/XP or AGI.

But really, the main issue about Salems combat is that the animations are lackluster beyond limits and the identification of moves are nearly impossible without a custom client or something.
Gensokyo

Postby riker88 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:22 am

I've been playing Salem 2 yrs now, I divide my time between Haven & Salem.

I like how Salem isn't as much a quality grind. For instance, You only need to build a stove once, as it has no effect on food quality. And farming always increases crop quality each harvest unlike havens up or down system.

Haven has alot more to do however and gets constant updates. The Salem developer "John Carver " hasnt released an update since last year and no longer visits the forums or anything. It's pretty much a dead game..
riker88

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar