haven plate techonics / or geology

General discussion and socializing.

haven plate techonics / or geology

Postby viznew » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:39 am

i am staright geology noob but after some videos and learning about my local geology i decided to look at the odditown map and did my best to explain it in my head so heres a crap version, mabye someone whos is bored and like geology and knows more can challenge me with more detailed speculation (for nothing but fun i guess)

you'll notice the top of the middle plate is rotating, well thats due to the east plate collision just like washington state is rotating slightly

the bottom mountain chould be hot spot mabye like yellow stone

homework for today what type of stone is the mountains?
ImageImage
viznew

Re: haven plate techonics / or geology

Postby yozzik111 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:30 am

Awesome!
Wengdalf, gurbibal master, drunken hunter, the thief of Constantinopol, he who never died of man`s hand, son of Severin, grandson of Yozz, Yozzik. Also an owl.

P.S. More nice hats please!
yozzik111

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:34 pm

If only the map gen was actually based on something such as this...
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Jacobian123 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:27 pm

MagicManICT wrote:If only the map gen was actually based on something such as this...

Less lakes and longer mountain ranges for W11 would be incredibly nice.
W3-W8 - Hermit
W9 - (Ex)-Leader of Vidarrheim

Image Image Image
Jacobian123

Postby DreadDawson » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:20 pm

I have an issue with your separation boundary that intercedes with a mountain. There should be another thrust boundary for the mountain, or at least the separation boundary should not cross over the mountain. Granted, for smaller mountain ranges, you could claim that they are remnants of a boundary that has become fused, and you may then allow for the separation boundary to cross the mountain. However I'd have to go and take a look at the mountain to know if it shows signs of being built, or signs of erosion.

(I have a B.S. in Geology, and am working on my Masters in Hydrology)
DreadDawson

Postby Potjeh » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:43 pm

Midatlantic ridge is on a separation line. Can mountain chains like this only occur underwater?
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Granger » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:49 pm

Rivers stemming from springs following elevation correctly (= not upwards) with lakes forming in locations where rivers are blocked by the walls of a valley would be even more fun.

More fun when rivers would have a current, allowing objects to drift downstream and slow boats going upstream (with waterfalls being actual obstacles).

Extra fun would be if water would stop to be a tile type but be actual water sitting ontop of the land, especially should rainfall add to and evaporation remove from it (making water bodies dynamic).
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:01 pm

Jacobian123 wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:If only the map gen was actually based on something such as this...

Less lakes and longer mountain ranges for W11 would be incredibly nice.

pls no, that sounds boring as shit.
DDDsDD999

Postby sMartins » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:59 pm

Granger wrote:Rivers stemming from springs following elevation correctly (= not upwards) with lakes forming in locations where rivers are blocked by the walls of a valley would be even more fun.

More fun when rivers would have a current, allowing objects to drift downstream and slow boats going upstream (with waterfalls being actual obstacles).

Extra fun would be if water would stop to be a tile type but be actual water sitting ontop of the land, especially should rainfall add to and evaporation remove from it (making water bodies dynamic).

While the first 2 options are probably doable (even if not easy), i don't think about the third one.
Dynamic water flow with water tiles would require first of all physics, so very resource intensive .. most of all on H&H scale, probably doable with a voxel based technology like minecraft did, but will not fit this game, and huge amount of work for little result.
I don't think any games has it yet properly done, even single player games. But soon or later will happen ... wow. On an MMO scale even later,10-20 years, or more, who knows? Not me, for sure. :D
But i agree that would be amazing.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Potjeh » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:19 pm

Runtime water physics is way to much to ask for, but at world generation I think it could be done. And static water could still have a flow property determined at generation, which can interact in interesting ways with vessels, swimmers, floating objects (logs come to mind) and even waterwheels for powering advanced infrastructure.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar