haven plate techonics / or geology

General discussion and socializing.

Re: haven plate techonics / or geology

Postby loftar » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:23 pm

Potjeh wrote:Runtime water physics is way to much to ask for, but at world generation I think it could be done.

I'd like to believe that, but the tricky part about it is doing it such that the entire map doesn't have to be generated as one monolithic piece, but still be expandable later.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby sMartins » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:12 pm

I don't know pretty much anything of how it works ... but l like to speculate on those things ... is it not possible to apply at the tiles that have water/rivers on them some kind of vector field? ... to tell the boat where to flow .... i mean, land tiles already remember their own height ... right? so tiles with water on them should remember 3 more numbers: direction, magnitude and which way to push.
Absolutly no idea about the function that should simulate that vector field to behave like a river ...
P.S. Btw this could be the same for wind on land.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby viznew » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:27 pm

id like to see more unique water system

right now is super plain fairly striaght rivers in a geology view its all new rivers (i think) (end of the ice age?)

and rivers tend to wander alot in a certain pattern, video

ancient flood plains
and scablands(2nd looks scablands are rare lol just common where i am lol0
chould add to game (thou like most things i say prob not needed)
and i cant say i acually know where takes place outside of euro somewhere i tend to think more of east euro then west so may be dumb

i was in middle of making better speculation maps but noticed the rivers
Last edited by viznew on Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
viznew

Postby Attas » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:34 pm

Dwarf Fortress has a pretty good world generator, with proper plate tectonics, watersheds, etc. I don't know how it works exactly but it might give some inspiration to Haven.

loftar wrote:
Potjeh wrote:Runtime water physics is way to much to ask for, but at world generation I think it could be done.

I'd like to believe that, but the tricky part about it is doing it such that the entire map doesn't have to be generated as one monolithic piece, but still be expandable later.

I may be wrong, but isn't W10's map unexpandable? There are no rivers leading to the border of the world, so a future expansion would make it quite hard for people to reach it.

Otherwise you could maybe generate a big map with a more realistic tool but only release access to the center of it (while having the entire map saved somewhere). Then whenever you want to expand it, just copy-paste the remaining parts to the in-game map.
Attas

Postby viznew » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:40 pm

Attas wrote:Dwarf Fortress has a pretty good world generator, with proper plate tectonics, watersheds, etc. I don't know how it works exactly but it might give some inspiration to Haven.

honestly it was dwarf fortress that got me into geology, its amazing how accurate thay are the devs must have truly loved it, but even thay do have flaws like no scablands/flood lands and some stone is randomly placed, plus native aluminum is impossiable like thay do it its so rare in nature to find aluminum nugget youd never find enough for a bar lol but its a game

haven got me into trees and geology a little thou, idk y i did weeks of looking into trees and stones and learned alot lol
ImageImage
viznew

Postby Attas » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:50 pm

viznew wrote:
Attas wrote:Dwarf Fortress has a pretty good world generator, with proper plate tectonics, watersheds, etc. I don't know how it works exactly but it might give some inspiration to Haven.

honestly it was dwarf fortress that got me into geology, its amazing how accurate thay are the devs must have truly loved it, but even thay do have flaws like no scablands/flood lands and some stone is randomly placed, plus native aluminum is impossiable like thay do it its so rare in nature to find aluminum nugget youd never find enough for a bar lol but its a game

haven got me into trees and geology a little thou, idk y i did weeks of looking into trees and stones and learned alot lol

Not every region of the globe develops the same geological formations. If Haven devs tried to at least model Eastern European relief into the game it would be awesome.

Bonus if they made it so that the stones we find underground actually correspond to the geological formation of the area.
Attas

Postby viznew » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:02 pm

Not every region of the globe develops the same geological formations. If Haven devs tried to at least model Eastern European relief into the game it would be awesome.

Bonus if they made it so that the stones we find underground actually correspond to the geological formation of the area.

thats my main problem i keep thinking of washington state lol but i ditched that and am looking into eastern euro geology and hoping for better maps and understanding lol

the way stones get where thay are can be insanely complex

example
granite is only formed in the magma camber of a volcano by cooling super slowly so to get to surface takes millions of years and rivers or uplift and errosion , there is some uncomfirmed cases of what is thought to be fallen over dead volcanos all over world, and with granite is a huge amount of other stones being made (i chould talk about granite for hours and i dont type well)

basalt is quickly cooled magma usually forms colums

and if the magma cools super fast it cracks in octigon/pentagon pattern

and is a tough stone usually outlast all the stuff around it making pillars
lol the stone pillars things in world whould mostly be basalt
Last edited by viznew on Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ImageImage
viznew

Postby iamahh » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:06 pm

aiming for realism is a lot of work, better make the architecture system

for realism check http://universesandbox.com/ ¦]
iamahh

Postby viznew » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:12 pm

iamahh wrote:aiming for realism is a lot of work, better make the architecture system

for realism check http://universesandbox.com/ ¦]

lol ehh my comp would catch on fire

i agree the geology dont matter much it works and never bothered me before lol and once thay get freeform buildings my god the glorys days will arrive
ImageImage
viznew

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:57 pm

loftar wrote:

Artificial world borders and a larger world generation to start? If there is expansion needed, it's already ready to be used.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar