haven plate techonics / or geology

General discussion and socializing.

Re: haven plate techonics / or geology

Postby loftar » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:44 pm

Attas wrote:I may be wrong, but isn't W10's map unexpandable?

Why would you think that? World 9 was expanded after initial release. I actually already have generated maps available for expansion whenever, we've just decided against expanding it thus far.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Attas » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:43 am

loftar wrote:
Attas wrote:I may be wrong, but isn't W10's map unexpandable?

Why would you think that? World 9 was expanded after initial release. I actually already have generated maps available for expansion whenever, we've just decided against expanding it thus far.

Judging by the Odditown map, no world border has rivers leading to the unknown, therefore an eventual expansion would not include rivers (or at least no rivers connected to the main river system).
Attas

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:46 am

Attas wrote:Judging by the Odditown map, no world border has rivers leading to the unknown, therefore an eventual expansion would not include rivers (or at least no rivers connected to the main river system).

Well, in the past, rivers (and lakes, but would have to look at old maps again) tended not to run across supergrid lines. There were always funky instances of a river narrowing down to 1 or two tiles wide each world in legacy.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby viznew » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:12 am

geology map of Europe

My God Europe got some weird stuff going on lol
ImageImage
viznew

Postby Granger » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:17 am

loftar wrote:
Potjeh wrote:Runtime water physics is way to much to ask for, but at world generation I think it could be done.

I'd like to believe that, but the tricky part about it is doing it such that the entire map doesn't have to be generated as one monolithic piece, but still be expandable later.
One RNG seed for the whole world with the noise functions anchored at a defined coordinate and the generator increasing the resolution of the generated map on passes/steps (whatever you call it) where it makes sense. It would have to cover a wider area on the coarser levels so any and all disturbances originating from features outside the target region will deterministically affect the features in it on the final resolution.
A generator structured like that should be able to generate a seamless map, with any region of it creatable on demand.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby sMartins » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:36 am

Do you remember CubeWorld? The random generated map of that game i remember was very well done ... it looks almost natural...much better than minecraft.
But probably it's different for those games and Haven, idk.
Also CubeWorld was only 2 people ... who knows if we'll see a new version ever? It was really a good game, never finished, but still.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby rainboweye » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:48 pm

I wanted to make a thread about waterfalls, but I found this related thread. So I will post my suggestion here.

The suggestions in this thread seem very extreme. I don't know shit about IT or programming or coding or whatever but it still seems very extreme and unrealistic.

But I think what could be done, and is a good idea to me, is this:

A lot of rivers in the map have a sudden change in height of the river's bed in them. This creates a "waterfall" effect. But only graphical. Boats and people go "up" that "waterfall" like they are walking on flat ground. While this seems like a very minor and secondary issue, it actually can make the game seem ..... "weak". So "fixing" this will give the game 1 more well-done detail which is always good.

Since this "waterfall effect" is so common, lets ignore most of it for now, and focus on the ones in mountain biomes. These are really big "waterfalls" so lets make them actual waterfalls.

The waterfalls in mountain biomes will be obstacles for swimming people, boats, log boats (forgot their name) and large ships. People will have to go on land, find a way to walk up and pass the waterfall and then swim again.

For small boats and log boats, you will have to go on land, carry your boat or log boat, walk with it on the mountain past that waterfall then put it down in water again and continue boating; "Portaging"

For knarrs, though, waterfalls is an impossible obstacle. This means you cant take your knarr in a path that has a waterfall blocking it. I think this will make an interesting change in the ability to sail to places.
Last edited by rainboweye on Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
rainboweye

Postby Potjeh » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:51 pm

Now that the world consists of continents, I see no reason why rivers can't be generated as described. Even if map is infinitely expandable, land is still generated in finite chunks. Just generate whole continents at once when expanding, even if you don't need the whole thing to expand the map. And even having parts of new continents appear in what was previously ocean on pre-expansion map isn't a major problem IMO.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby pppp » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:02 am

Judging by the maps look there is no height-related physics considered at all when generating rivers and lakes. It is that because rivers have no direction and happlily flow upwards (I mean upwards in both directions). But I guess fixing that would require turning the whole generator upside-down and remaking it almost fully in order to include height when generating rivers and lakes. But this is a lot of effort and I do not expect it will happen soon.
pppp

Postby Granger » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:04 am

The suggestion that rivers should have a downhill current that affects boats (and logs) is quite old and somewhat frequent, would add flavor to the game. But it also would have side effects that could be less fun, when in an area with more and steeper elevation changes - like the inability to boat into mountains.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar