Surprise Party - An Open THANK YOU! Letter

General discussion and socializing.

Surprise Party - An Open THANK YOU! Letter

Postby DaniAngione » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:59 pm

Greetings all :)

Huge post incoming, so hang tight!
I come today to share a very special story! I was initially thinking about posting it on The Moot but it didn't really seem like a matter of politics, village relations, nor justice. But please feel free to move this thread if it feels wrong here :roll:

Anyway, let's get on with it!
A while ago, near the end of W9 and during my 'experience' on Wulf's Retreat, I have stated I was on a mission: to find good, warm hearted people in a world so full of violence and chaos like the world of Haven & Hearth. And by the end of W9 I did consider that mission successful, I've met a lot of great people and found a lot of generosity, kindness, love and friendship in this dark and cruel world ;)

But I barely knew this was just the beginning... And that even more amazing and great things would be coming.
It was my birthday yesterday, something I didn't really bring up or talked much about with anyone... But at some point I did, apparently, and once more it brought forward the best of the Northern Kingdom citizens and all the good people and friends from other lands and realms <3

I know this is not my blog; but I don't mean it to be. I want to share this story and to be publicly grateful to these people, all of them, because I've always seen and understood this - what we do, what we are, the formation of communities - as an important aspect of any game, as much as any other aspects, gameplay, PVP, etc... And the world must know that this exists ;)

So this is how it happened...
It was just a random day, I was busy doing random chores, crafting items and stuff like that.

At some point, however, things started looking a bit... Fishy. My brother was typing too much, then he left and not long after people were looking for him about something important... Then some other people that I haven't seen for a while got online but didn't reply to greetings in realm chat. And I stumbled upon a friend or two that were oddly nervous about something... But I had no clue at all, to be honest.

Little did I know every step of mine was being watched and, on each opportunity, people were sneaking inside the city :lol:

And then, after being outside with the knarr for a while (hunting for decorative shrubbery), I was called back in town to get something that someone dropped near the market. This happens quite often so it was just another daily chore, no problems.
I help the distressed person and then they tell me to follow them to 'see something'. Meanwhile my brother is in voice next to me, talking some random combat stuff that seems oddly out of place - I focus on him, trying to understand what's going on but... Bam, I was fooled! Distracted with my own brother, I fail to see that the person in need of help was actually leading me... here:

It took a while for everything (and everyone) to be loaded, but once I realized the amount of people and effort that were there, right now... It got me speechless.
HolaAmigo, who's behind coordinating it all, starts telling me they have an event prepared <3

They even made wall banners! And cute colored balloons!
I was invited into this huge voice chat where everyone was (which was actually inside our own realm Discord but I completely missed it :lol: ) and that was just the beginning!
Already so happy with all that amazing and special people gathered there (right in my village and I didn't even notice, damn, I'm clueless :lol: ) I didn't even imagine all that was yet to come...
Everyone headed out of the Silver Dragon Inn and I was told to follow them. We would go for a boat trip!

We head to the city gates and start filling up knarrs. I am told that "I am needed on the cemetery to perform a ritual with a witch... a ritual that will summon the ancestors!"
I admit that it's kinda weird to celebrate a birthday on a graveyard but oh well, let's go ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We start arriving and right away I notice some weird objects placed near the graves, dead animal bodies, a cauldron, bones and skeletons...
I start to think I might not survive my creepy goth birthday :lol:

We then proceed to make an awkward pile of people but I'm ordered to stay away from it.

Once everyone is gathered, I am then ordered to go forth and meet the Witch that will guide me through the ritual to summon the ancestors...

I go, wondering if this weird way is how I'm going to die in W10 :P
... turns out the Witch is Piffih :3
And I gotta say she's a damn good witch :3

The ritual is weird, and it requires my blood, so I am given a Leech.
At this point I was considering the possibility of Piffih being Melisandre and the Lord of Light to be giving me a vision or something... (GoT Jokes) but the moment is more or less turned awkward after a brief exchange about where to attach the leeches and how big leeches are :roll: :lol:

While the small creature sucks my blood, she also slaughters a sheep because apparently that's what cool witchcrafting kids do these days.

And then volunteers are asked to dance around me while I recite some sort of incantation to bring forth the ancestors.
A pentagram of people is in theory needed but to be honest I'm not even sure we achieved any kind of geometry :roll: :D

What happened next was... pretty damn awesome, however.

Queen Iso! Hiei Jr.!

Red! Bison! Leafstab! Maze!

One by one, old friends from the early and more recent days of this world - very important and dear friends that helped build the Northern Kingdom, that helped make this community a reality and were gone or missing for months... All coming back!
So they are the ancestors...

After all the ancestors are summoned, we head back to the boats to start the trip back to Aurora.

Back in the city, I am again asked to wait as preparations are made.
Most of the people follow to the Coronation Stone courtyard (the area we call "The Kingdom Plaza") while I stay on the southern city gate.
I get some gift boxes and then Mads, holding a torch, calls me to look upon the lake.

I stand next to him and suddenly a great knarr with the beautiful image of a wolf behind the scratched cloth shows up.
Kinga comes out of it, dropping me the master key. It's another gift.

I still can't believe it's all happening, and soon enough things are ready and Hola tells me I can go on to the Plaza.

I get there and everyone is waiting, trying to sit :lol:
We improvise a field cairn really quick and then get everyone ready for the festivities to continue.

It's just so great to have all this awesome people near you :oops:
Even though some like Batsi are a bit awkward and dance naked around you :lol: ;)

Everyone then starts dropping gifts and, before it was done, Hola arrives with yet another amazing present.

A beautiful wagon made of silk with wheels made of gold. An incredibly fine and beautiful piece of work, now in service of Aurora.
It looks amazing, and the wooden colors were spot on! A mighty gift from a mighty friend :)

And if that wasn't enough already, they start unloading dead trolls from the Wagon! Trolls they've been hunting in the last few days like crazy cave dwellers :lol:
All of them meant as gifts as well.

Of course the trolls end up being a nice attraction as well... And people can't resist the urge to dance and play with them around.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, Red arrives carrying Leafstab's corpse.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For some reason, it feels like every event in Haven requires at least one death to be good :roll: Almost like Dothraki weddings.
The story isn't very much clear... but apparently he... drowned himself.

Right.

So much for summoning the ancestors... :cry:

Luckily Bonus was there to play some tunes :D and soon enough we all forget about his death...

And so the party goes on, with lots of presents, laughter, fun and good moments...
I'm still unsure about what to say or how to react. This was very sincere and unexpected, it is just amazing. I can't even begin to think about all the effort and the time spent and dedication to make it happen, especially because it was apparently all prepared in 2 days or so, with Hola pretty much enslaving people :lol: :roll: <3
Seriously, though - I fear trying to citing every name or pointing out more people would just be unfair to everything that everyone has put into it, and how beautiful and great this was.
I can't thank you all enough for this that was, sincerely, one of the most meaningful things people have given me in any birthday. You guys made it all worth it, all the time, all the stress, the good and the bad moments, the achievements and the losses, the victories and the defeats...

Everything, the history of the Northern Kingdom can be summarized on that day.
It doesn't matter what happens, it doesn't matter how it goes, how long it lasts or if it falls or stands... Nothing matters. We've achieved something greater than anything in the game, we've made all the ideals and hopes that our community was based upon become a reality, and it only happened because of you all. Everyone that participated, wanted to participate, etc... Everyone that is out there playing, be it hardcore or casual, strong or noob, you're all important and part of something that we will never forget. And for that I shall be always truly thankful.

Thank you guys-- everyone.
Thank you for this... indescriptible, amazing act of love and kindness, for all the words and all the fun.
This only shows how important it all is for all of you and, if that's how our community see itself, then I can rest assured we've not failed. <3

That is all...
My sincere appreciation to all of you, to this game and its developers that allowed this to exist and to those that work hard, every day, to make this community a greater place. <3

With love,
Dani

----
Also, many people wanted to see some of the presents and such;
I'm afraid I probably missed some and I also think I got some repeated - but in any case, here is a compilation of some of the amazing things that were given or shared, said or shown.
From simple yet heartfelt gifts of crops and materials from hermits or sprucecaps to 'wealthier' and expensive gifts from veterans, they're all incredibly appreciated. I'll never be able to pay back how much it means <3

Special highlight to Atikin for giving me another Troll's Eye after I ... lost mine... filling troughs :oops:
Thank you! <3

(chair & portrait included in gift)

(Funny gift for an atheist :D )
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Re: Surprise Party - An Open THANK YOU! Letter

Postby nerdyaf » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:47 pm

King Wulfkin is the BEST KING!

Long live the NK :lol:
Potatoes are life.
nerdyaf

Postby jordancoles » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:59 pm

NK disguising annual taxes as "birthday presents"

More news at 11
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Thaydi » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:10 pm

Best king of the best kingdom! Long live the NK! Long live Wulfking!
World 10 - Founder and Duke of the Duchy of Rattenschloß
World 9 - Founder of Meadhaus County
Thaydi

Postby DaniAngione » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:27 pm

jordancoles wrote:NK disguising annual taxes as "birthday presents"

More news at 11

Shhhhhh

The less the people know, the happier they are ;)
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby Flyrella » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:30 pm

DaniAngione wrote:
jordancoles wrote:NK disguising annual taxes as "birthday presents"

More news at 11

Shhhhhh

The less the people know, the happier they are ;)

are you going to use my tax as intended?
Flyrella

Postby Onep » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:54 pm

That's pretty awesome!
“We still, alas, cannot forestall it-
This dreadful ailment's heavy toll;
The spleen is what the English call it,
We call it simply, Russian soul.”

An idea to consider: Tedium, a Feature.
Do you like Onep? Do you think he'd look good in green? www.Onep4mod.com
Jorb hates me. :\
Onep

Postby Granger » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:32 pm

Nice loot ;)
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby puck » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:04 am

BEST KING!

y'all, he cried.

and he didn't tell you about the part where all 35 of us tried to sing happy birthday in voice chat, and... don't do that. just don't. ¦]
puck

Postby Beronica » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:12 am

Agreed. Sounded like the successful mating of trolls with bagpipes.
Beronica

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar