To the Devs: is Botting Funding you

General discussion and socializing.

Re: To the Devs: is Botting Funding you

Postby shubla » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:38 am

loftar wrote:
Aceb wrote:In case I've been made fool (by botters), I ment something that bot does everything by themselfs (collect, stack, replant).

To be fair, I don't think you stand to gain all that much from that when it comes to farming. The only real advantage I can see of such an arrangement is that it can run 24/7, but with crops taking multiple days to grow, even if you only log in once a day and replant whatever is ready, you only stand to gain like 30% or so, in the best possible case, if the only advantage is that you can harvest the crops the moment they're ready.

If you use bot, you can have massive fields and have bot replant them 8 hours every day.
If you'd do this manually, yoou would have to use the whole day.
Quality does not change faster maybe, but you can get a lot more harvest daily.
Thus you can make more food than your neighbours, or build more banners or whatever.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby joojoo1975 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:20 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Hate the game, not the player. It's the satiation and FEP mechanics we have in place that allow for this. How to fix? There's a big thread in C&I.

LOL at your urban cred m8 :) but then again we are talking about the overall issues that the game allows the player to do/exploit.

MagicManICT wrote: Should this be fair, though? Would they quit if there wasn't going to be a "new world?" Would they just quit the game for good if this happens to them and there wasn't a new world coming? If you look at other PvP-centric games, people do quit games for good after they've created an establishment for some months (or years) and then get knocked down the hill back to the start.

But that was one of the beauties of H&H. That choices that you made in this game could have serious/Game changing consequences for you. kind of like the mutually assured destruction concept that the world had back in the 70's, you know the Nuclear Holocaust scenario. First off Big villages didn't go off and do stupid stuff, because of fear of possible reprisal/ranger-ing from other Big villages. Did it mean it was stopped totally, oh no, but that was when forum drama was at it's best
To Protect The Helpless From The Heartless
joojoo1975

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:23 am

Don't get me wrong here, joojoo. I'm all for world-changing consequences for actions. I was more theorizing about what players would be likely to do, and what it would mean for the health of the game. I suppose I wasn't as clear as I should be there, and my leading question steered the line of thought in another direction, so my fault there.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby foomanchu » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:38 pm

jordancoles wrote:Legacy botting was some next-level shit and I'm positive there are some pretty crazy setups in Haven 2.0, but you're right, the average player doesn't really see the affect of it aside from the characters with infinite stats running around

how is that next level?? im sure there was crazier in legacy and definitely crazier in hafen. one of the mining bots somebody in dis uses comes to mind (it mines out, builds supports, tracks quality and mines/stockpiles desired ore nodes iirc)

one of my favourites is my resource node bot. it would manage 41 characters over 7 accounts to track the timers of 40 different nodes, pick them the second they are ready, report if and where there are hostiles at a node and respond to village chat commands to inform anyone regarding upcoming timers. Not only could it be managed by a single client running 24/7, but the duties could be split up among 6 or more different clients at any moment without any code changes to make sure each client is able to pick a node within milliseconds (ie contested salt nodes where picking asap matters)

and i know im not as skilled as many of these bot/client makers in our community as coding is only my hobby and not a result from my education.. too bad they're mostly tight lipped about their creations

and to the topic.. all of those accounts are free. id bet that almost all alt accounts meant for simple bot uses are free too
foomanchu

Postby arcolithe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:03 pm

jorb wrote:B) ... You are asking us to design machine administered turing tests, and you have no idea how deep the philosophical question underlying that problem runs. We may target bots opportunistically if we feel like it and find a good angle of attack, but imagining that we can entirely remove automatization is naive, and for that matter not desirable. Not even the most draconian regime I can imagine -- biometric verification of player identity, say -- is any sort of meaningful gurantee against botting. Not even close. There is no obvious and simple heuristic which identifies an account as running a bot.

what a deep answer.
arcolithe

Postby APXEOLOG » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:49 am

W10 Meme Plot | W9 Mantis Garden | W8 Core | W7 Ofir | W6 the City of Dis | W5 Vitterstad | W4 A.D. | W3 Mirniy
jorb wrote:All your characters will be deleted, and I will level every village any one of them were ever members of.
APXEOLOG

Postby Scaramouche » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:26 am

Botting is the worst thing that could happen to such a good game, I hope devs will fix it one day somehow
Scaramouche

Previous

Return to The Inn of Brodgar