these midge swarms tho

General discussion and socializing.

Re: these midge swarms tho

Postby MadNomad » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:43 pm

Granger wrote:
Massa wrote:What's wrong with them being anthills? 3-8 bee swarms when you raid it, easy and done, kill them off, take your wax.

Day 2 Level 5 mines, I guess.

that's very biased - 100 beehives and 250 leather on day 2?

Massa wrote:A beehive will destroy even a 500+ UA character and shit its agi from the hundreds or thousands down to 1

I actually managed to raid one with a single 100 ua character during previous world so this is bullshit

but i think that they are indeed too strong anyway, considering that beehives are an important thing
MadNomad

Postby Massa » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:18 pm

loftar wrote:
Mafious wrote:Btw you shouldn't need larvae for beeskeps thats just stupid you need swarms for beeskeps so the mecanic should be bulding skeps so after a X time beeskeps become fully operational hives.

We do intend to expand on the beeskep mechanic sooner or later; requiring larvae is more-or-less just a placeholder so that people who start farming only after we do that aren't at a horrible disadvantage to those who built their skeps with no such requirements prior to that.

We did nerf the bees quite a bit for W11, but I guess that wasn't quite enough. As for testing combat changes, to be perfectly honest I've pretty much given up on imagining my combat testing being representative of anything that actually happens in-game.

Ask a few more trustworthy players to keep your tests under wraps. I'm sure a simulation is easy where experienced people with lots of stake in the game can give you feedback on how things ought to be.

Would be a whole lot better than one of you guys adding things like allergic reactions unchecked.
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby loftar » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:48 pm

Massa wrote:I'm sure a simulation is easy where experienced people with lots of stake in the game can give you feedback on how things ought to be.

Sure can't imagine a small selection of players from the leading factions getting early access to content being in any way controversial. ^^
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Massa » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:59 pm

loftar wrote:
Massa wrote:I'm sure a simulation is easy where experienced people with lots of stake in the game can give you feedback on how things ought to be.

Sure can't imagine a small selection of players from the leading factions getting early access to content being in any way controversial. ^^

I'm not entirely sure how controversial being able to access experimental beehives on a contained test server would be.
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby Burinn » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:00 am

sabinati wrote:do you expect me to just check the forum constantly, fuck off
Burinn

Postby shubla » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:45 pm

I dont have any problems with them.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby tetradigem » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:11 pm

loftar wrote:
Mafious wrote:Btw you shouldn't need larvae for beeskeps thats just stupid you need swarms for beeskeps so the mecanic should be bulding skeps so after a X time beeskeps become fully operational hives.

We do intend to expand on the beeskep mechanic sooner or later; requiring larvae is more-or-less just a placeholder so that people who start farming only after we do that aren't at a horrible disadvantage to those who built their skeps with no such requirements prior to that.

We did nerf the bees quite a bit for W11, but I guess that wasn't quite enough. As for testing combat changes, to be perfectly honest I've pretty much given up on imagining my combat testing being representative of anything that actually happens in-game.

really? literally all you have to do to test combat against wild animals is agro one and try fighting it. now do so with a low level character, lets say 10-20 in all stats and 1-10 in combat, since any more than that and said character at that level is massively gimping their ability to do anything BUT run around punching bees. now open up your combat deck and ONLY use the default stuff. now mash random buttons because you didnt bother to put an explanation of combat in game, and you want to emulate the experience that literally everyone who dosent spend hours trying to decipher the gibberish at the wiki or the terrible youtube tut's on it. are you able to raid a beehive doing that? if not than the bees are too damn strong for early game.

also, how could you possibly think an early game mob , currently being absolutely mandatory to make an extremely vital tool for farming in this game, having an attack that deals -10 str/agi was even close to balanced? even -1 for a low level character is damn near a death sentence when its on agi, much less str AND agi. i mean im glad you guys have massively nerfed wounds, as im not sitting at 30HHP for days on end now but rather wounds fade away in a day or so, but if one of your wounds literally makes a fresh character unplayable for the rest of the day, and its CLEARLY an early game item (see: it shows up for people with base stats/skills), that wound should obviously not exist at all.
tetradigem

Postby VDZ » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:59 pm

FUCK MIDGES.

I decided to create a new character to mess around a bit, and the moment I build a crate to store items (which means I need to stay around that location if I want to use any of those items) a midge swarm hovers around the stuff I build, leaving me no choice but to log off and wait until it goes away because there's literally nothing you can do against them. (This is after I already spent minutes running from a swarm without water to avoid the initial wound, but ended up getting the wound anyways; combined with the inevitable nettle sting I'm now locked out of raiding anthills/beehills for a while.) H&H's early game is so much fun, why do the devs have to ruin it with something like this? It literally discourages playing the game, with its wound locking you out of other activities (to not get Allergic Reaction which is devastating early on) and the best solution against them being to log off.
VDZ

Postby MooCow » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:24 pm

VDZ wrote:FUCK MIDGES.

I decided to create a new character to mess around a bit, and the moment I build a crate to store items (which means I need to stay around that location if I want to use any of those items) a midge swarm hovers around the stuff I build, leaving me no choice but to log off and wait until it goes away because there's literally nothing you can do against them. (This is after I already spent minutes running from a swarm without water to avoid the initial wound, but ended up getting the wound anyways; combined with the inevitable nettle sting I'm now locked out of raiding anthills/beehills for a while.) H&H's early game is so much fun, why do the devs have to ruin it with something like this? It literally discourages playing the game, with its wound locking you out of other activities (to not get Allergic Reaction which is devastating early on) and the best solution against them being to log off.

You know midges do a finite amount of damage right? A single swarm can't kill you in you have more than 20% hhp. After they sick your blood they just wander off.

You can also just walk away. When they chase you, you can teleport back to your hearth.
MooCow

Postby borka » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:02 pm

MooCow wrote: After they sucked enough of your blood they just wander off.

Easy to verify while waiting at the local resources sandglass ... can't remember when they didn't come while there ... ;)
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar