Dwarf Fortress on Steam

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Dwarf Fortress on Steam

Postby jorb » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:08 pm

Has anyone ever played it without graphics anyway?

Good move.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby shubla » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:11 pm

jorb wrote:Has anyone ever played it without graphics anyway?

Good move.

Many people play it with the default ascii-tileset if that is what you mean.
Examples:
Hardcore supporters who refuse to use tilesets or any modifications
People who refuse to use any modern technologies
I guess you can get used to ascii tileset quite quickly if you start playing DF with it, before getting spoiled by cool tilesets.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby borka » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:18 pm

Good move.

yep ... back then when i still owned a monitor that only could handle black and orange ;)

And btw. DF Classic (ASCII) will still be free and updated ...
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby shubla » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:26 pm

borka wrote:

Good move.

yep ... back then when i still owned a monitor that only could handle black and orange ;)

And btw. DF Classic (ASCII) will still be free and updated ...

And you can use custom tilesets and mods with it. And if you want to donate, you should just use paypal.
So there is really no point in buying it from steam. Its just a plan of certain-greedy-non-religious-related-persons to get money from dumb people.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
shubla

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:53 pm

Good move.

There's graphics available? :o

the most telling part:
steampowered.com wrote: Publisher: Kitfox Games

Bay12 has been doing a lot with them the last several years as far as conventions and stuff go. glad to see this coming.

2d0x wrote:
Bolillo wrote:Haven and Hearth on Steam when

When will the dedicated servers.

Nevah!!!!
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Grog » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:24 pm

Damn, that's epic news.

Thanks for sharing OP.
Favourite thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3388
Grog

Postby ricky » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:01 pm

The circumstances which contributed to the decision are unfortunate, and i wish then only the best in their health and their success on steam.

I would consider the steam version of the game to be well packaged and 'cleaner' version, with band new graphics and sfx. I would hesitate to call it a tileset as from what i read this version has new infrastructure that supports a much wider and cleaner version of graphic assets, as opposed to a strict amount of 'tiles' (i could be wrong here, but it sounded like this was the case).

The steam version will have an optional ascii mode and full steam workshop support, so modders can have a go at this version too. Unsure how utilities such as dwarf therapist will be handled. I'm unsure whether you can use a different 'unofficial' tileset/graphics pack with this version, but it's safe to assume you can.

The original/non-steam version will still be offered for free and updated on their website, so it's not as if theyve abandoned that. The steam version is just a cleaner spruced up version with shiny graphics/ui and all the nice features that steam can offer like automatic updates and integrated modding.
Have a question? Need help? Tired of people asking questions? Haven and Hearth Wiki.
jorb wrote:Ideally the game should play itself.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
ricky

Postby shubla » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:55 pm

ricky wrote:The original/non-steam version will still be offered for free and updated on their website, so it's not as if theyve abandoned that. The steam version is just a cleaner spruced up version with shiny graphics/ui and all the nice features that steam can offer like automatic updates and integrated modding.

I think that steam is waste of time.
There are good graphics, good sounds and good mods easily available already. So steam does not really fill any gap that would be missing.
Automatic updating is NOT a good thing, because DF saves are often incompatible between versions.
shubla

Postby budzilla » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:31 pm

shubla wrote:
ricky wrote:The original/non-steam version will still be offered for free and updated on their website, so it's not as if theyve abandoned that. The steam version is just a cleaner spruced up version with shiny graphics/ui and all the nice features that steam can offer like automatic updates and integrated modding.

I think that steam is waste of time.
There are good graphics, good sounds and good mods easily available already. So steam does not really fill any gap that would be missing.
Automatic updating is NOT a good thing, because DF saves are often incompatible between versions.

I personally don't play much of DF because it's a hassle having to update not just the game but any programs that are necessary to play it, such as dwarf therapist etc.
With it coming to steam, I can see myself playing it far more often now, as long as the workshop includes all those said programs. Not to mention the cleaner tileset & UI is much needed.
budzilla

Postby VDZ » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:03 pm

Rather than the graphics, are the controls comprehensible to mortals yet? I have no issues playing with ASCII art (I've played various roguelikes with ASCII art, no problem there) but even as a roguelike player last time I tried I just couldn't do even the most basic of things without having to look things up whenever I wanted to perform any input. (Admittedly that was ages ago, not sure if there has been a control overhaul since then.)
VDZ

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar