You can't buy old hats from Jorb.

General discussion and socializing.

Re: You can buy old hats from Jorb.

Postby jordancoles » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:48 am

Kirche wrote:hats should've never been limited in the first place tbh

I could agree with this

Just scale the price upwards as time passes but have them always available for purchase so their value grows but the money goes to the devs if someone wants it years down the line
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Sevenless » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:45 am

jordancoles wrote:

I could agree with this

Just scale the price upwards as time passes but have them always available for purchase so their value grows but the money goes to the devs if someone wants it years down the line

I'm fine with that concept personally, but I'm not sure it's fair to apply it retroactively. I know it's one of those "This wasn't explicitly promised" type situations but I remember how shit it felt when it happened to me in another game.

If they decided to do that going forward I would have no complaints though.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby VDZ » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:04 am

Well, that's certainly one controversial move.

Granger wrote:May 2017...

This is fairly important to consider. Jorb may not have been aware of the secondary market value of old hats back then.

Vassteel wrote:well its their game between jorb and loftar they can do as they please. if they want to sell a hat here and there who are we to say no?

Uriel wrote:Stop the shit storm. It's their game, if they want to sell hats, they have all the right.

pheonix wrote:its their game and their choice tbh, but if this is a possibility then id happily pay $200 for a witches hat since i know its going to supporting the game and not lining the pocket of some greedy player who paid a noob in fake quills from last world.

Winnfield wrote:Could care less about this tbh. In fact id encourage it knowing that the funds could go towards game development/upkeep costs. Its not like Jorbs spawning them a 200q B12, its a fucking hat..

It contradicts their public claims about hats being available for a limited time only, and hats are bought for real life cash. As such, it could be taken as deceiving buyers (though I doubt this is remotely as malicious as is usually associated with that phrase). People have been dropping stupid amounts of money to attain these hats in the knowledge they will build up secondary market value over time. While technically they fully have the right to sell them whatever way they please, I don't think it's too much to ask from a moral viewpoint that they should have some transparency about this - if they're going to resell hats individually, let the community know and don't tell people they're only available only from the store only during that time, as that would then be blatantly false.

So Jorb, could we get some statement on the devs not doing this again, some MTG Reserved List equivalent, or otherwise a confirmation that you may do such things in the future? The latter would certainly upset the secondary market, but at least there would be some certainty; otherwise things could really blow up the next time you do something like this.

pheonix wrote:its their game and their choice tbh, but if this is a possibility then id happily pay $200 for a witches hat since i know its going to supporting the game and not lining the pocket of some greedy player who paid a noob in fake quills from last world.

jock wrote:Add a nee tab to the store legacy hats. Unlocks ONLY for gold members. Every hat is for sale at $100 dollars

Take that money and invest in better servers/long term infastructure. Hell maybe a little avdertisement.

Do whats right for the finacial longevity of the game.

jordancoles wrote:

I could agree with this

While this sounds reasonable for the hardcore H&H fans, it may look very greedy to a more neutral observer. Not saying the possibility shouldn't exist, but just putting 'old hats - 200$' on the Store page might give a bad impression to newer players.
VDZ

Postby longfeather » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:22 pm

Granger wrote:May 2017...

Thought for a minute that I was the only one who noticed that.
longfeather

Postby blank » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:09 pm

Fake news. Why you even gonna say this smh.
blank

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:13 pm

jordancoles wrote:

I could agree with this

shut up.... pls.... stop...............
ChildhoodObesity

Postby NeoRed9 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:18 pm

Limited time can not reasonably create an expectation of a single incident, only, rather, that it is not always available. Grats to Jorb and Loftar for the easy money. If true.
NeoRed9

Postby jorb » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:35 pm

In the particular case, one PM is curiously missing from the conversation, namely...

jorb wrote:Hey, thanks for your extensive support of the game. I very much appreciate it.

I gave you the hat, quite simply. Feel free to buy something for whatever you think that's worth, if you do feel like it.

I hope you continue to enjoy the game!

... the one were I gave the hat in question to the user in question for free.

My memory on this is not perfect -- it being a two year old event -- but looking at the patch notes we did not do weekly hats back then, and IIRC the Cat Hat, while first introduced in one of the first 2015 patches, was only actually out of circulation since the 2017 reset, which, by number of hats added to the store, was then very recently. The user in question had, IIRC, been one of our top supporters, and I rewarded him for what I felt was a generous offer. Glad that the user was a gentleman, and appreciated my gesture so much that he flaunted it two years later, with the added implication that I took money in exchange for the hat. Classy af, tbqh, fam.

I do not sell hats outside of the store, and I never have. I have, however, given a select few away in spells of generosity.

MTG Reserved List equivalent

There is no reserved list. Our present policy is that hats are limited in duration, but we have considered ideas like, for example, bringing back one random old hat every month, or the like, and we may well decide to do that at some point, as I've stated elsewhere.

Generally I would, again, rather do new takes on old hats, the second hand market is not unimportant to us, and we're not going to change the payment model willy-nilly.

/thread.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: You can't buy old hats from Jorb.

Postby Vigilance » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:26 pm

jorb gimme a martian hat pronto
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby Granger » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:48 pm

VDZ wrote:People have been dropping stupid amounts of money to attain these hats in the knowledge they will build up secondary market value over time.
Fuck the rent seekers.

It isn't that we (as humans) can't kill more of an extinct species to make more of these things, creating artificial scarcity for digital things is way beyond stupid and well into you're evil and deserve to burn in hell territory.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar