Toxic Buildup

General discussion and socializing.

Toxic Buildup

Postby ErdTod » Mon May 06, 2019 10:35 am

The internet does not provide a possibility to punch your interlocutor in the face, and thus became a place where everyone feels safe enough to be toxic (salty, rude etc.). At the same time, internet users became hardened by constant bullying, swearing and being abused by lots and lots of random people - their teammates in MOBAs and shooters, fellow commentators on any web platforms, etc. Unfortunately, HnH forums aren't an exclusion, and even though the community is relatively small, it is quite and quite toxic, and the more public the person is, the more bad attention he/she gets.

Yes, constantly reading abusing comments addressed to you makes you tolerant to them, makes you ignore them better and better. But they don't fade away entirely - every smallest abuse leaves a tiny bit of a toxic buildup in your consciousness. And after a while, this might burst out in an unpredictable way.

Now, why do I say all that? I urge you - yes, you, dear reader - to think thrice next time before commenting how shitty Jortars ideas, patches, fixes, mechanics or whatever else are. Devs of this game are indeed hard-skinned for such things, but nowadays you can see that sometimes Jorb bursts out, protecting himself from piles of toxic comments. Being toxic to someone on the internet is easy - too easy, - but this will not make anything or anyone better. Contrary, rude comments on the mechanics are not a constructive criticism, and are not useful in any way. Each one will only do a tiny bit of mental damage to a developer of a game that you like so much. And if you don't like it - then why do you care, why are you here at all?

Don't be rude to people.
ErdTod

Re: Toxic Buildup

Postby Alitis » Mon May 06, 2019 10:41 am

Could not agree more my friend. Congratz for writing this.
Alitis

Postby shubla » Mon May 06, 2019 11:07 am

I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Uriel » Mon May 06, 2019 11:40 am

+1
Got your back Jack (JLo)
Uriel

Postby Avu » Mon May 06, 2019 12:29 pm

What a bunch of sprucecaps!

Sorry couldn't help it.

I'm certainly guilty of being a dick and my only excuse is the game could be great muuuuuch greater than it and my conclusion after 10 years is that of the characteristics of jlo that what makes this game great is only sabotaged by their other half. I don't see this ever changing. Ever. I just forget for short periods of time play a bit get invested then get hit with the same stuff that always sooner or later happens. They waste time on yet another combat/siege update that ultimately fails, they make something everyone pretty much hates, slap on the wrist punshiments on repeat offenders etc... and then I remember get temporary mad. And then quit until next world or hor many worlds it takes for me to remember why.
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby Kaios » Mon May 06, 2019 12:54 pm

So when I ask a question because I don’t understand something and jorb responds with “are you dumb?” who is being toxic?

Stickman makes a post regarding the issues of their divine intervention and how they weren’t accomplishing anything by giving that group a day in advance, how far the abuse of their stats spread, etc. which he was right about all of and still jorb replied to him in the most childish way possible.

Yeah, sometimes the devs and jorb specifically are given a hard time but they also bring it upon themselves occasionally.
Kaios

Postby overtyped » Mon May 06, 2019 2:49 pm

ErdTod wrote:The internet does not provide a possibility to punch your interlocutor in the face, and thus became a place where everyone feels safe enough to be toxic (salty, rude etc.). At the same time, internet users became hardened by constant bullying, swearing and being abused by lots and lots of random people - their teammates in MOBAs and shooters, fellow commentators on any web platforms, etc. Unfortunately, HnH forums aren't an exclusion, and even though the community is relatively small, it is quite and quite toxic, and the more public the person is, the more bad attention he/she gets.

Yes, constantly reading abusing comments addressed to you makes you tolerant to them, makes you ignore them better and better. But they don't fade away entirely - every smallest abuse leaves a tiny bit of a toxic buildup in your consciousness. And after a while, this might burst out in an unpredictable way.

Now, why do I say all that? I urge you - yes, you, dear reader - to think thrice next time before commenting how shitty Jortars ideas, patches, fixes, mechanics or whatever else are. Devs of this game are indeed hard-skinned for such things, but nowadays you can see that sometimes Jorb bursts out, protecting himself from piles of toxic comments. Being toxic to someone on the internet is easy - too easy, - but this will not make anything or anyone better. Contrary, rude comments on the mechanics are not a constructive criticism, and are not useful in any way. Each one will only do a tiny bit of mental damage to a developer of a game that you like so much. And if you don't like it - then why do you care, why are you here at all?

Don't be rude to people.

I treat jorbtar the same i would treat my friends. I give him shit all the time. Only a soyboy beta thinks the way you do.
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby vatas » Mon May 06, 2019 3:53 pm

Kaios wrote:So when I ask a question because I don’t understand something and jorb responds with “are you dumb?” who is being toxic?

Stickman makes a post regarding the issues of their divine intervention and how they weren’t accomplishing anything by giving that group a day in advance, how far the abuse of their stats spread, etc. which he was right about all of and still jorb replied to him in the most childish way possible.

Yeah, sometimes the devs and jorb specifically are given a hard time but they also bring it upon themselves occasionally.

I'm not going to give jorbtar too much shit about that but next time something like that happens, I expect every account even remotely affiliated with the exploit to be immediately suspended and held in ransom until jorbtar receives instructions on how to reproduce the exploit.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby MagicManICT » Mon May 06, 2019 5:59 pm

Avu wrote:I'm certainly guilty of being a dick and my only excuse is the game could be great muuuuuch greater than it

Kaios wrote:So when I ask a question because I don’t understand something and jorb responds with “are you dumb?” who is being toxic?

We are all guilty of it. To quote a great man "To err is human, to forgive--divine." It's also easy to forget details, and forget that others can overlook these things, no matter how great anyone's memory is. I like to point people at the character of Sheldon on "Big Bang Theory," and his typical attitude when people don't know or forget. Do you really want to be like Sheldon?

And as far as the game being great... Haven is exactly as great as it needs to be. Any greater, and the world might start beating down the door of Seatribe, which might require more people, more resources, more "balancing," and it would lose its greatness. I wish I could point at some concrete examples, but none jump to the top of my head, and the Internet is full of things that started off small, were great, and failed when scaled up. Sometimes things just take time to come around. Sometimes things just aren't going to be no matter how much we want them to.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Granger » Mon May 06, 2019 7:05 pm

MagicManICT wrote:And as far as the game being great... Haven is exactly as great as it needs to be. Any greater, and the world might start beating down the door of Seatribe, which might require more people, more resources, more "balancing," and it would lose its greatness.

I call BS on that one.

Sure, in case the internet starts beating on their door there would be some technical issues (mainly the world server that, last I know of it, dosn't scale beyond one physical machine at the moment) to be solved but that's doable and I trust loftar to pull that off (possibly he already laid the foundataions for this, or already only needs to twist the switch, no idea) within a reasonable timeframe. But I think that in case the two would be given enough dough so they wouldn't have to work on anything else in parallel to haven (which, from what I have gathered from the streams, dosn't seem to be the case yet) so they wouldn't have to put things together under time pressure (as they seem to, currently)... it could only get better. Even if they would have to hire some (like to work on the client, which both of them seem to hate).

I agree with the OP.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar