Does anyone have population information for w6 and w7?

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Does anyone have population information for w6 and w7?

Postby borka » Wed May 29, 2019 7:10 pm

:)

I remember those few days well because i kept care for the place of a neighbour and someone broke in there and left scents ... tracking never was easier with only few active spots in the area from which i had kinned 80% ;)
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby jordancoles » Wed May 29, 2019 10:34 pm

Avg players during w6 lags was like, 38 people

I was one of them and I really don't know how I did it
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby bmjclark » Wed May 29, 2019 11:09 pm

jordancoles wrote:Avg players during w6 lags was like, 38 people

Yea i must be thinking of w7 with the not really dropping below 300 thing. I remember the population of that world being extremely steady right until a few months before hafen released (close to a year and a half iirc).
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby Granger » Thu May 30, 2019 12:53 am

bmjclark wrote:

Yea i must be thinking of w7 with the not really dropping below 300 thing. I remember the population of that world being extremely steady right until a few months before hafen released (close to a year and a half iirc).

I think 5 of them, ~23/7, were my bots, I guess I wasn't alone in running some since at that point the game was already quite automated.

Bottom line: the 'concurrent online users' is, quite likely, quite meaningless.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby bmjclark » Thu May 30, 2019 2:16 am

Granger wrote:
bmjclark wrote:

I think 5 of them ~23/, were my bots, I guess I wasn't alone in running some since at that point the game was already quite automated.

Bottom line: the 'concurrent online users' is, quite likely, quite meaningless.

I mean, the exact same could be said about the current playerbase, so the comparison is still pretty valid. For a long while i was running 3-4 characters literally 24/7 this world.

Game is currently at 230 people online as i type this. Im positive legacy worlds never dropped that low in a mere 4 months, and this world had the highest peak of players haven has ever seen. Legacy seems to have been a lot better at retaining players.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby Granger » Thu May 30, 2019 7:58 am

bmjclark wrote:I mean, the exact same could be said about the current playerbase, so the comparison is still pretty valid.

Exactly, but no. For example one could argue that a forager will complete his iteration way quicker in W10 than in W7 since it can logout on a horse.

For a long while i was running 3-4 characters literally 24/7 this world.

Game is currently at 230 people online as i type this.

That's exactly my point: 'characters currently online' is no indication for 'actual people playing the game' - only the latter is a relevant metric, but one that isn't available to us.

The confusion between these figures makes a discussion needlessly difficult.
Granger

Postby shubla » Thu May 30, 2019 12:48 pm

I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Granger » Thu May 30, 2019 3:02 pm

'Amount of unique accounts' dosn't allow to determine the 'amount of actual people' controlling them.
Granger

Postby bmjclark » Fri May 31, 2019 2:13 pm

Granger wrote:
bmjclark wrote:I mean, the exact same could be said about the current playerbase, so the comparison is still pretty valid.

Exactly, but no. For example one could argue that a forager will complete his iteration way quicker in W10 than in W7 since it can logout on a horse.
The confusion between these figures makes a discussion needlessly difficult.

We can vary our numbers by 10-20 to account for little things like that, but i'd expect that it doesn't even make that much of a difference. Nitpicking because some people might have run more alts in legacy than in hafen is pretty silly. I think it's still pretty clear legacy held players better, though hafen world start seems to attract far more than legacy.
bmjclark

Postby Granger » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:56 am

bmjclark wrote:I think it's still pretty clear legacy held players better,

We (as in the users) can't really determine this as we don't have the ability to data-mine reality deep enough (eg. see the concurrently online unique IP addresses) to get to a somewhat reasonable figure for actual human users, though we all seem to agree on the amount of 'users playing' likely being way lower than the amount of 'hearthlings playing' that is visible to us.

though hafen world start seems to attract far more than legacy.

Which is IMHO no real surprise, as legacy was abandon-ware for quite some time prior to Hafen and new things tend to attract people better than another round of the same.

The real questions are why people leave the game, why they seem to 'only' return on a wipe and what could be done about it. Problem is that there is much speculation (but also some compelling arguments) about the former two - while the answers to the latter seem to be mutually exclusive, as they depend on the beliefs about the answers to the former two questions.

Some agreement seems to be on endless character growth + open PvP + permadeath not being the ideal combination for a competitive multiplayer game.
Granger

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar