My journey inot the world of engineering

General discussion and socializing.

My journey inot the world of engineering

Postby peanutzrgud » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:01 am

I have been in my computer engineering internship for awhile now and made this video a few weeks back to give not only my impressions of the industry but also how it compares to some peoples expectations.

I hope some people will be able to find this a little bit helpful and informative :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvpESxp8vkA
peanutzrgud

Re: My journey inot the world of engineering

Postby borka » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:50 am

Engineers need math?!? :o

;)
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby OtsukiYorauzo » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:30 am

borka wrote:Engineers need math?!? :o

;)

Everything is math.
You are a result of math also, by being a 1 in a million probability in your father's sperm cells.
W7 - Crestfall
W8 - Crestfall
W10 - Pueblo Comedia
W11 - Hermit
W11 - Misplaced Caves
W12 - Insulated Gulch
W14 - Hermit
OtsukiYorauzo

Postby Alitis » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:03 pm

OtsukiYorauzo wrote:
borka wrote:Engineers need math?!? :o

;)

Everything is math.
You are a result of math also, by being a 1 in a million probability in your father's sperm cells.

That's impossible! God made you from mud and mentos ¦]
Alitis

Postby shubla » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:47 am

I have to disagree with the part where you say that computer scientists use high level languages, because that is not true!
There are a lot of things one can specialize towards in computer sciences, many of which require usage of low level languages and low level knowledge of how computers and all that works.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:04 am

shubla wrote:There are a lot of things one can specialize towards in computer sciences, many of which require usage of low level languages and low level knowledge of how computers and all that works.

Assembly isn't dead yet! (Despite Microsoft trying to kill it.) That's one of the things I liked about learning old school BASIC as my first language. It made learning actual ASM so much easier. Instead, if you're coming from a C++, Python or other OOP language, you might struggle with the nit-picky detail that ASM requires you to have.

If you are an obsessive compulsive computer programmer that has to have everything absolutely, perfectly efficient, Assembly might be right for you! :lol:
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby shubla » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:56 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
shubla wrote:There are a lot of things one can specialize towards in computer sciences, many of which require usage of low level languages and low level knowledge of how computers and all that works.

Assembly isn't dead yet! (Despite Microsoft trying to kill it.) That's one of the things I liked about learning old school BASIC as my first language. It made learning actual ASM so much easier. Instead, if you're coming from a C++, Python or other OOP language, you might struggle with the nit-picky detail that ASM requires you to have.

If you are an obsessive compulsive computer programmer that has to have everything absolutely, perfectly efficient, Assembly might be right for you! :lol:

The problem with assembly (x86-64) seems to be that finding good material to learn it is very difficult. It took me 8 hours to make a program that reads two integers and prints their sum.
If I had access to the few references that I found after hours of digging around, it wouldn't have taken that long time. Yeah I guess that there are lot of "good" books about assembly, but books are time consuming and boring, often not good for complete beginners. When one starts learning something new, especially a new programming language, quickly getting to write some code that actually does something is important, more knowledge from books can then be acquired.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Granger » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:02 pm

Try http://ce.kashanu.ac.ir/sabaghian/assem ... 201%29.htm - while it only covers 8086 it's enough to get the basic idea of x86. The -64 addons are just that, addons to the 8086 base principles.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby vatas » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:56 pm

Alitis wrote:That's impossible! God made you from mud and mentos ¦]

Unlikely that you meant to reference this, but Mayans had interesting creation myth for mankind. At first gods formed people from stone, but were unable to animate them. Trashed. Wooden people would move around and do many other human-things but were unable to reproduce. Trashed. Mud people reproduced but had the worst possible defect, they didn't respect the gods. TRASHED. Finally the progenitors of present-day humans were made from cornflour dough.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby peanutzrgud » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:52 pm

shubla wrote:I have to disagree with the part where you say that computer scientists use high level languages, because that is not true!
There are a lot of things one can specialize towards in computer sciences, many of which require usage of low level languages and low level knowledge of how computers and all that works.

Very fair point. I was probably speaking in more general terms, and I do realize low level languages do have their place, I was just speaking from what I knew about the industry and how higher level is much more common in software development
peanutzrgud

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar