Mid-Month JorbStream When?

General discussion and socializing.

Mid-Month JorbStream When?

Postby Zentetsuken » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:41 pm

You tease us about doing this every stream lately! Any chance we'll get some midmonth twitch shenanigan this week?

Also, have you considered the potential monetary benefits of moving your stream to https://mixer.com? It seems to be all the hype now.
Zentetsuken

Re: Mid-Month JorbStream When?

Postby jorb » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:26 pm

Right on! Will consider. Appreciate the hype.

Hadn't seen mixer before. Out ouf touch with the kids!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby shubla » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:59 pm

jorb wrote:Right on! Will consider. Appreciate the hype.

Hadn't seen mixer before. Out ouf touch with the kids!

Mixer is streaming platform made by microsoft.
You and loftar surely do not want to support a company like that?
Amazon is way better, right?
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Garri » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:25 am

+1 abandon twitch
Garri

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:18 am

shubla wrote:Amazon is way better, right?

For fear of derailing the thread... NO! Amazon is not better. The only reason I shop Amazon over any other online retailer is the return policy. At least everyone at Microsoft has made fair wages.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby jorb » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:47 am

Garri wrote:+1 abandon twitch

Any particular reason?
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Kaios » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:53 am

There's nothing wrong with Twitch. The people moving away from Twitch to other platforms are mostly large streamers (Ninja being the biggest one) and they are getting paid significant amounts of money to make those transitions or it makes sense in the long-term for those streamers. If you are just starting out and a new streaming service is garnering a lot of buzz around it, then it is a reasonable proposition to go try out streaming on a new platform where the competition is not so readily defined and you're competing with more starter streamers and less of those that have been in the position for a long time.

Even though there may be a few larger streamers moving away from Twitch I don't think that means Twitch is going away any time soon, if anything it gives them more incentive to try and retain the large streamers they have and help others move up on their platform rather than allowing them to switch. It's what makes sense for you that matters.
Kaios

Postby Granger » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:59 am

Kaios wrote:If you are just starting out and a new streaming service is garnering a lot of buzz around it, then it is a reasonable proposition to go try out streaming on a new platform where the competition is not so readily defined and you're competing with more starter streamers and less of those that have been in the position for a long

Only because you could have a chance to get on the front page (getting fresh eyeballs) on a brand new streaming service, but that opportunity ends the moment famous ones arrive/spring up who then permanently occupy these spots and a low follower newcomer is pushed out of the game (unless going massively viral).

What I personally dislike on Twitch is that the performance of the site sucks more often than not (freezing picture or even freezing tab), but as jorb has a tendency to pick times to stream where I'm out at work (so I have to resort to watching the replay on youtube where it's playing nicely) I'm not that annoyed by it.

About the format itself: I would prefer jorb not playing while interacting with the audience, as he (as all humans do) sucks at multitasking which makes it needlessly hard to follow his (not uninteresting) thoughts. It being more of a panel discussion than a distracted clicking around in the game would IMHO be more interesting. Possibly he could invite (remotely) someone to play and spectate while communicating, or just attach to some random critter at an active area to see what happens, so he has more of his mind free to fruitfully discuss interesting things with the audience. YMMV.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Zentetsuken » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:22 pm

I don't know all the nuances of why one might be better than the other, but I've watched a bit of D&D on mixer in the last week and I can see that people seem to be allowed to endlessly run reruns of old content while remaining "live." I've also heard that streamer get paid based on every 15 minutes of viewing from individual users, and individual users can use freely gained points accrued from simple watching to help streamers make money too.

Some of this could easily be the case for twitch too, but from the little I have seen and the little I know about each platform, it just seemed that a casual streamer building up a lot of long streamable content might stand to make more money from mixer?

Also, bonus reason, mixer seems to be getting popular right now so having a stream for a new indie-like game might not be totally buried, and a stream with 50+ views might be caught by a whole bunch of people who will be completely unfamiliar with the game, and therefore bring in some new players?
Zentetsuken

Postby Fostik » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:38 pm

MagicManICT wrote:For fear of derailing the thread... NO! Amazon is not better. The only reason I shop Amazon over any other online retailer is the return policy. At least everyone at Microsoft has made fair wages.

There are lot more services and platforms on amazon, not only their shop.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar