[Poll] Seasons update prediction

General discussion and socializing.

Re: [Poll] Seasons update prediction

Postby AntiBlitz » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:00 pm

present idea of the siege system is better, but it just takes far too long to siege, and currently, the defenders have a ridiculous advantage. I guess as it should be? not sure. bigger claim is better because if you spread the damn walls out enough, youll spend literal days, if not over a week sieging nonstop on a single claim. and nobody can be asked to do that.
AntiBlitz

Postby shubla » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:15 pm

Siege will never work because it will be always too hard or too easy.
If it's too easy, everyone will get raided and people complain on forums.
If it's too hard, some people will complain on forums.
Middle ground is probably not possible with how HnH works currently.
Are there any other games with similar thing to siege that have made it work?
I think not.
Eve online has a siege system which works pretty nicely, but sieging in EVE is even more time consuming than in HnH and overall, it's completely different game. (Sieging one place may take a few days and hundreds of people, preparations take weeks, wars for certain relatively small areas may last for months)
All time used to design siege system is thus wasted time.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Zentetsuken » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:56 pm

shubla wrote:Siege will never work because it will be always too hard or too easy.

Why though? This is such useless feedback.
Take the time to explain why you think this and maybe for once you can actually help to create some positive change.

shubla wrote:All time used to design siege system is thus wasted time.

Didn't you spend time creating a custom client for a game you apparently think is hopeless and don't even like anymore?

Didn't you also spend time creating nearly ten thousand posts on these forums over the course of the last nearly 5 years? Hundreds of suggestions that simply went ignored, hundreds of walls of text which went unread by almost everybody due to them seeing who the author was?

But spending time working on siege is a waste of time, right? :lol:
Zentetsuken

Postby wonder-ass » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:02 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:
shubla wrote:Siege will never work because it will be always too hard or too easy.

Why though? This is such useless feedback.
Take the time to explain why you think this and maybe for once you can actually help to create some positive change.

its the simple truth. the core game mechanics do not allow for a fair and fun siege mechanic.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby shubla » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:07 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:some stuff, mainly pictured by what his avatar emits

My feedback is not useless, rather quite the opposite.
Devs have only a limited time available, using that for siege is wasteful, because results will be poor. I am sure that there are some other aspects of the game that time can also be used towards, with better results.

Just think about it. What would the perfect siege system accomplish? You either are able to raid some guy or are not able to, there is no middle ground.
There are small villages, big villages, very active players, not so active players, making "balanced" siege system is just impossible. And out of the two options (either no one gets raided or all/certain groups of people get raided constantly) I think that the former one is better one.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby jorb » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:25 am

wonder-ass wrote:its the simple truth. the core game mechanics do not allow for a fair and fun siege mechanic.

What would need to change? What in the present mechanics makes you say that?
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby jordancoles » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:33 am

jorb wrote:
wonder-ass wrote:its the simple truth. the core game mechanics do not allow for a fair and fun siege mechanic.

Archer towers cost blocks/glue/rope while repairing a ram costs brimstone which is a much harder material to come by. If you camp your ram 24/7 and counter siege their archery towers with your own you are still likely to only raid an empty shell. If you do pull off a legitimate and destructive raid the defenders/losers are met with a handful of harsh realities:
Permadeath, loss of large time investments into industry and the infinite quality grind on literally everything, which if lost, puts you out of the game, etc

If you are raided and lose your high q seeds/smelters/access to mines/animals that you've literally spent every waking moment raising since world start it is just game over for you. You either need to pay literal money (20+ tokens just for a high q axe/pickaxe), join another group that hasn't yet been raided, or start from scratch which most would agree just isn't an option if you had already reached a mid-late-game level of success in your first base.

When you find yourself far behind in this game you take on a "what's the point" mindset and that leads to inactivity and less hat sales
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby wonder-ass » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:44 am

jorb wrote:

if you lose everything there is no point in continueing, you will never catch up in the q grind if you were to start from scratch.
i had written a long PM about how to make fix sieging but something happened and it just deleted my wall of text TLDR is make the core industry like anvil kiln etc undistructable and stuck to its place this way if someone were to take over your base you have an incentive to take it back from them.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Potjeh » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:51 am

jordancoles wrote:
jorb wrote:

Archer towers cost blocks/glue/rope while repairing a ram costs brimstone which is a much harder material to come by. If you camp your ram 24/7 and counter siege their archery towers with your own you are still likely to only raid an empty shell. If you do pull off a legitimate and destructive raid the defenders/losers are met with a handful of harsh realities:
Permadeath, loss of large time investments into industry and the infinite quality grind on literally everything, which if lost, puts you out of the game, etc

If you are raided and lose your high q seeds/smelters/access to mines/animals that you've literally spent every waking moment raising since world start it is just game over for you. You either need to pay literal money (20+ tokens just for a high q axe/pickaxe), join another group that hasn't yet been raided, or start from scratch which most would agree just isn't an option if you had already reached a mid-late-game level of success in your first base.

When you find yourself far behind in this game you take on a "what's the point" mindset and that leads to inactivity and less hat sales

Add quality caps and replace most of infrastructure grind with individual item grind.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Ants » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:59 am

shubla wrote:
Zentetsuken wrote:some stuff, mainly pictured by what his avatar emits

My feedback is not useless, rather quite the opposite.
Devs have only a limited time available, using that for siege is wasteful, because results will be poor. I am sure that there are some other aspects of the game that time can also be used towards, with better results.

Just think about it. What would the perfect siege system accomplish? You either are able to raid some guy or are not able to, there is no middle ground.
There are small villages, big villages, very active players, not so active players, making "balanced" siege system is just impossible. And out of the two options (either no one gets raided or all/certain groups of people get raided constantly) I think that the former one is better one.

Last world siege was possible but raids weren't common. That was a middle ground. I don't think anyone has successfully raided an active village this world.

jorb wrote:
Ants wrote:
jorb wrote:The looks are the baseline of the implementation. Apart from some obvious mechanics, that's where the focus should lie.

When are we getting a siege update?

Any ideas for what a siege update would contain?

Well, the complaints I've most often heard are that archery towers are OP and that sieges can be done almost completely with naked alts. Give people a reason to bring their strong characters outside and nerf towers, that should be a good start.

jordancoles wrote:
jorb wrote:

I think raiding an empty shell would be fine. I assume that's how it was in legacy since alt vaulting and building secret vaults has always been a thing.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar