[Poll] Seasons update prediction

General discussion and socializing.

Re: [Poll] Seasons update prediction

Postby AntiBlitz » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:04 am

raiding an empty shell isnt fine, what is the fucking point if its empty??? great, i spent 4 days non stop with like 4 hours of sleep each day so that i could meticulously guard this damned ram, then finally get inside, and its all empty. That, is exactly why raids dont happen, and why there is no incentive to try. Who wants to do that?
AntiBlitz

Postby DDDsDD999 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:17 am

Potjeh wrote:Add quality caps and replace most of infrastructure grind with individual item grind.

I would be against hard quality caps, but I do think the mechanics surrounding quality grind need a change towards raising individual end-products rather than entire industries. As it is, quality spiral is a monumental task, in a way that only the most try-hard of factions can hope to compete. But if they maintain their top quality industry, they just poop out endless amounts of tools/weapons/armor (with the millions of wrought bars they get as a side-product), which gets sold for tokens/hats because no small time group can hope to attain those qualities on their own.

This is pretty much because every single industry can now grind itself towards infinite qualities, whereas in legacy you were mostly anchored by the qualities of the natural resources you had.

If quality grind was shifted more towards individual item grind, then a potentially industrious hermit could hope to arm themselves at a somewhat competitive level, while a faction would have to put in the effort for however many people they wish to arm.

In addition, if industry was changed with siege in mind, then an industrial area getting raided could potentially be considered non-ragequit worthy. The raidee could hope to get their industry quality back to a competitive level at some point, since the bar for industry quality isn't infinitely raising
DDDsDD999

Postby Ants » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:20 am

AntiBlitz wrote:raiding an empty shell isnt fine, what is the fucking point if its empty??? great, i spent 4 days non stop with like 4 hours of sleep each day so that i could meticulously guard this damned ram, then finally get inside, and its all empty. That, is exactly why raids dont happen, and why there is no incentive to try. Who wants to do that?

I mean, it's better than raids being impossible. The point of a lootless raid could be to bitchslap your enemies or destroy their coronation stone. Devs should probably focus on making siege a possibility before figuring out a way of balancing the loot.

jorb wrote:
CaveHermit wrote:Just back old one. When u was change siege system u said for better one. In w10 ppl when was ask about Siege system Better they was mean Make it less time no longer ;) Now siege system is impossible bcs u build catapults lock them and enemies can suck ur cock. Bcs you cant build fucking archery tower on the enemy claim. How to make village 100% safe? Just build big claim and its all. u are safe.

I like the core premise of the present system a lot more, I have to say. Would you like to expand on this point? Not sure I understand why the village gets safer with a bigger claim? Why are offensive archery towers so important in your estimation?

Without offensive archery towers, defenders can build locked siege engines around the attackers' engines and then he has to handbash them out of the way.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:24 am

popfor wrote:Legacy siege was really fun.

There was no "siege" in legacy. Therein lies the problem of the rose-tinted glasses.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby MrBunzy » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:38 am

Ants wrote:Without offensive archery towers, defenders can build locked siege engines around the attackers' engines and then he has to handbash them out of the way.

This is in fact false. Have you tested out siege at all? It always bugs me that some of the most vocal advocates for siege change never actually playtest it.
(once and futue king btw)
MrBunzy

Postby Ants » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:45 am

MrBunzy wrote:
Ants wrote:Without offensive archery towers, defenders can build locked siege engines around the attackers' engines and then he has to handbash them out of the way.

This is in fact false. Have you tested out siege at all? It always bugs me that some of the most vocal advocates for siege change never actually playtest it.

It's what I've been told. I may have misunderstood something.

Have you seen a successful siege this world? If so, how was it done?
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:26 am

Hey,
I just wanna point out that siege at the high end was infinitely harder last world than this world, and anybody who even suggests otherwise should have their opinions regarding siege completely disregarded. AFAIK, there were exactly zero successful sieges verse anybody who even semi-competently abused shields. It would've been reasonable from a single knowledgeable hermit to hold off against literally every faction in the game teaming up to siege him for at least a week.

With the contemporary system, you just need to spend significantly more resources than the defenders on catapults, and not have your siege camp be overrun for an entire hour. That's literally it. Sure, heavily segmented/plot-based villages are retarded OP(still less than W10 shields), but predominately the people upset about their inability to siege are doing so based on their inability to siege a non-segmented/plot village, so :shrug:
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby jorb » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:46 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:Hey,
I just wanna point out that siege at the high end was infinitely harder last world than this world, and anybody who even suggests otherwise should have their opinions regarding siege completely disregarded. AFAIK, there were exactly zero successful sieges verse anybody who even semi-competently abused shields. It would've been reasonable from a single knowledgeable hermit to hold off against literally every faction in the game teaming up to siege him for at least a week.

With the contemporary system, you just need to spend significantly more resources than the defenders on catapults, and not have your siege camp be overrun for an entire hour. That's literally it. Sure, heavily segmented/plot-based villages are retarded OP(still less than W10 shields), but predominately the people upset about their inability to siege are doing so based on their inability to siege a non-segmented/plot village, so :shrug:

Truth.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Oddity » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:31 am

shubla wrote:Devs have only a limited time available

Haven is the closest thing they have to a job, and they spend like a combined 6 hours per week (tops) working on it.
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Postby Zentetsuken » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:01 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:Hey,
but predominately the people upset about their inability to siege are doing so based on their inability to siege a non-segmented/plot village, so :shrug:

Most people upset about anything this world are just plain upset.

"Siege is bad because it's bad"
"PVP is bad because I like legacy better"

The forum is overflowing with hatred and negativity in the last few months but the loudest and most frequent naysayers are giving zero constructive feedback because they simply no longer like the game. It's literally more important for some people to shitpost about game mechanics to spite a mod who said something they don't like than it is to actually give meaningful input.

Siege has always, always had the exact same end result, whether it was w11 siege mechanics, w10 siege mechanics or any iteration before that. If I remember correctly there was even a point where brickwalls were handbashable? People lost their industry, their items, and all their work. PVP was rampant, people killing randoms for no reason, people camping CRs for no reason. The Moot was active and filled with arguments and rivalries. Not many rage quit over it.

The main differences I can see between then and now -

- You can literally get a character pvp ready and up to industry-standard stats within days if you have help from a developed village.
- Qualities on everything are much higher, much faster.
- Bases, villages, claims, groups are larger.
- More people are allied.
- You can receive more stats back after death and instantly have tons of bonuses from completed credos and realm buffs.

So why is there all of a sudden this new daunting feeling that any improvement to siege will suddenly make people quit? From what I can tell it's easier than it ever has been to start again. Allies and realms spread over dozens and dozens of villages. People say there is no PVP because too many people are allied, but also say don't make siege easier because if they lose your base they will quit. Isn't there like a dozen ally villages you could move to in an instant?

In my opinion the idea of siege being more like legacy would be great, even if you keep the same structures like archery towers in now. Make it incredibly easy to get in to walls, and also incredibly easy to defend siege, then people who get raided can simply raid other people back if they lose. Suddenly there will be PVP again because people will need to be active, seeing a siege engine will actually be a real threat, albeit a manageable one.

A great way to balance this would be to make it so many things can no longer be spiraled, make quality nodes matter again, and make more local resources more meaningful. Make more of them even, more different kinds with more varying qualities. Give people resources to fight over so they are more likely to siege for control over a resource than siege an entire village.
Zentetsuken

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar