It's been some time.

General discussion and socializing.

It's been some time.

Postby Archiplex » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:40 pm

Hello! It's been a while. I'm not particularly sure how Hafen is doing these days, but recently a bundle of my friends have begun to play, and against my greater judgement, I caved in and joined them (sort of; I'll be a hermit for now.)

If you don't know who I am. I was one of the first (if not, the first?) people who brought archery as a viable combat strategy and spent many days researching the exact formulae used by arrows and bows and what each quality impacted (Though I see now that there's only one central quality for everything... thank god!), as well as an early maker of the "Hermitarium" which was an effort to detail various mechanics about the game and provide guides for players back when few guides existed. I was also a coleader of a notorious village back in W8, and a leader of another in W9; R'yleh and Niflheim respectively. Both villages were destroyed by the same strategy of [Insert person that doesn't like us] sending a spy in and opening the gates to hell, both of which were entirely my fault- and after the second time, it left quite a nasty taste on my tongue, and I figured I'd probably end up never playing Hafen again.

Yet, this game is quite close to my heart in terms of it's mechanics, ambitions and ultimate goals- and I don't really think I could go too long without giving it another try. And so, here I am.

Anyhow; I have no idea who's active still and who isn't- so if you recognize me, say hello! I'm very curious about the political movements in this world, and definitely curious about any new names that might be around.
Last edited by Archiplex on Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Re: It's been some time.

Postby Amanda44 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:58 am

Hey! Welcome back ... :D

More has changed in the game mechanics than in political terms, still just two main factions, now Hedgehugs and AD in place of Dis and AD - Dis disbanded as a faction in W9 I think, though some of the key players now play and make up part of the other two . And AD are kinda split into two groups, but still united.
That's my understanding anyway, lol, I'm sure someone will provide a more comprehensive picture. :)

The game meanwhile now has seasons, oceans, dungeons, l9 caves, a quest system, siege mechanics and meteorites ... some of these are a bone of contention to various players and there are plenty of threads these days which detail why.

Overall changes to core mechanics such as farming, mining and food satiations, along with some of the new mechanics, have slowed the game down quite a bit ... for me personally, it has become a bit tedious and I don't play on the same scale that I used to.
Someone actually asked me recently what kept me still playing with the game in the state it's in and I guess mainly, as you say in your post ... it's close to my heart and on the plus side it has crafting and design on a scale no other game comes close to, and believe me I've looked! Lol.

Anyway, I hope you have fun discovering all the new mechanics and again, nice to see you back. :D
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby borka » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:03 am

Amanda44 wrote:Hey! Welcome back ... :D

... it's close to my heart and on the plus side it has crafting and design on a scale no other game comes close to, and believe me I've looked! Lol.

Anyway, I hope you have fun discovering all the new mechanics and again, nice to see you back. :D

well how can i say better?!? :D
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby Vigilance » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:50 pm

everything is the same. the game is a little worse in general but has a lot more content to distract you before you get bored of the newly worsened main progression loop.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby ravenguard19 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:23 pm

Well, worth starting at this point?

Because we can and we will.... die!
ravenguard19

Postby KwonChiMin » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:44 pm

Right now it will be close to impossible - it is a winter time, but in a week - well. If you are interested in simple hermiting and happy farming - the game never was better. If you are interested in ingame politics and large scale confrontation - ze geim iz ded, soz.
KwonChiMin

Postby boreial » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:38 pm

Actually, Now is a great time to start, since there are so many abandoned bases around to scavage/claim, even if you can't grow crops right now due to winter season, there is tons of food and such free for the taking.
boreial

Return to The Inn of Brodgar