Why did you quit haven in w11? [Strawpoll]

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Why did you quit haven in w11? [Strawpoll]

Postby discospaceman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:11 pm

pppp wrote:
Ants wrote:Infinite stat grind seems to be the issue most people have with the game. I don't think capping stats is the solution; that was tried a few worlds ago and supposedly didn't work. I think devs need to make it possible for people to catch up to people with higher stats somehow.

If you remember what was the reason it did not work, go ahead and explain. If the only objection was "nothing to do after hitting max" then it looks like chasing own tail: "we do not want grind, but we do not want the grind to stop either".

Stat caps were something stupid low (300?), right?

In any case there aren't any successful games that I can think of without some form of stat cap, be it level cap, top tier gear, or no stats at all

More content is the answer, and this is something the devs really aren't focusing on
discospaceman

Postby Archiplex » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:14 pm

discospaceman wrote:
pppp wrote:
Ants wrote:Infinite stat grind seems to be the issue most people have with the game. I don't think capping stats is the solution; that was tried a few worlds ago and supposedly didn't work. I think devs need to make it possible for people to catch up to people with higher stats somehow.

If you remember what was the reason it did not work, go ahead and explain. If the only objection was "nothing to do after hitting max" then it looks like chasing own tail: "we do not want grind, but we do not want the grind to stop either".

In any case there aren't any successful games that I can think of without some form of stat cap, be it level cap, top tier gear, or no stats at all

More content is the answer, and this is something the devs really aren't focusing on

Wurm's stat and skill system is pretty good, and is very comparable to this game. Dunno how it's doing nowadays although it's failings were more because of rolf being bad and a piss poor combat system for a while.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby discospaceman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:20 pm

Archiplex wrote:
Wurm's stat and skill system is pretty good, and is very comparable to this game. Dunno how it's doing nowadays although it's failings were more because of rolf being bad and a piss poor combat system for a while.

I said successful games
discospaceman

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:37 pm

discospaceman wrote:More content is the answer, and this is something the devs really aren't focusing on

Aren't they? What is this "content" you think they're not creating? Theme park rides? Or means of emergent player interactions? Do you really know what it takes to create content--the background tools and required mechanics? How quickly do you expect a team of two to get such things done when other "successful MMOs" have teams of dozens, if not hundreds, working on them?

A combat system is content, which is one of their current focuses, because it allows players to interact with the environment (hunting) and each other (other than via chat and drawing dick pics in the dirt). A client with a good user interface is content (because without that, you won't be playing the game). Seasons, that were just implemented, is content, though not one you can hop on and take a joy ride like a dungeon.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Ants » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:53 pm

Vert wrote:i spent too much time on kingdom war. People who destroy my cairns use stat bug. Kingdom mechanics is shit, people who use stat bug destroy the world. im talking about food with 999999 fep.

Cairns and realms are pretty annoying, even if you're not going up against people with super high stats. Imo that shouldn't be Jorb's priority, though.. people who take part in realm stuff are a minority. The giant difference in stats could be taken care of with Headchef's suggestion:
Headchef wrote:And I understand the sentiment now is that people don't want to fight because everyones stronger but as I said - make 500 stats be the treshold and beyond that you can still increase but very significantly diminished returns so it's basically just for people who get excited about a number going higher but no real use.

Potjeh wrote:Lack of community interaction is basically a product of impossibility to catch up, people are just too scared to go out when they're virtually guaranteed to die if they run into someone with significantly higher stats.

It's nearly impossible to die with the current KO system. Just don't buy rage on your forager, problem solved. I'd say lack of community interaction is a product of people quitting and the world getting emptier.

pppp wrote:

I don't remember, unfortunately. I wasn't around when the stat cap was implemented, so I'm just repeating what I've read in other threads.

Aceb wrote:

Most people have problem with themselfs. I would avoid such statements until You can somehow prove it's true. A lot of people do not have problem with infinite stat grind and a lot of people would wish for diminishing return, not flat cap.

My proof is that it's currently the top issue in the poll with 54 votes. Personally I like the infinite stat grind and the diminishing returns idea. Maybe we should make a thread specifically about that.

discospaceman wrote:
pppp wrote:

What content should be added, in your opinion? They update every week. Heck, they just added seasons.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby sMartins » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:30 pm

About stat cap:

"When he saw that man stretched his fingers
to steal the mystery of a forbidden apple
for fear that he no longer had any masters
he stopped him with death and invented the seasons"
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby pppp » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:15 pm

sMartins wrote:he stopped him with death

Indeed, senility exists in the world for a reason.
pppp

Postby NeoBasilisk » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:37 pm

The simple inescapable fact is that doing the same thing in a game for 6+ months gets tiring. People settle into roles in a village for efficiency. Or if you're a hermit you still tend to focus on certain things. Once your infrastructure is set up, you're basically just doing the same thing forever until the world resets.

It doesn't matter if there are stat caps. People will just quit when they reach the stat caps because the kind of person that is motivated to increase stats quickly will lose motivation when they cannot increase their stats further. On the other hand, if there are no stat caps, then people burn themselves out with the infinite grind.

On the other hand, people like me are still putting in a minimal amount of effort to keep playing, but I don't particularly care about stats. I increase them, but usually only out of obligation once my hunger reaches 0%.
NeoBasilisk

Postby Flyrella » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:16 pm

I quitted to finish writing my PhD thesis. And now I'm back :D
Flyrella

Postby borka » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:14 pm

Flyrella wrote:I quitted to finish writing my PhD thesis. And now I'm back :D

Gratz!!! :D
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head