Why did you quit haven in w11? [Strawpoll]

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Why did you quit haven in w11? [Strawpoll]

Postby DDDsDD999 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:22 am

We should have game development done democratically. Every week we hold a vote, and the person with the most votes is either added to or removed from the dev team.
DDDsDD999

Postby boreial » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:59 am

My reason to play is continuous improvement, (not so much in Stats, really how strong is the strongest man on earth in comparison?) But in improving my infrastructure, I want better butter for my pancakes, I need to make a better churn, grow better crops raise better cows etc etc etc.. So far, Seasons has slowed or stopped much of that progression. Do I need to see hourly progression? No, but a bit a day, every day would be nice.

Keeps on truckin' and hopin' that things will work out,
boreial

Postby borka » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:30 am

devs wrote:We have game development done democratically. Every week we hold a vote, and the person with the most votes gets removed from the game.

¦]

https://www.havenandhearth.com/portal/track/
Last edited by borka on Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
borka

Postby sMartins » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:24 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:We should have game development done democratically. Every week we hold a vote, and the person with the most votes is either added to or removed from the dev team.

Better Call Saul :)
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby wonder-ass » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:51 pm

boreial wrote:My reason to play is continuous improvement, (not so much in Stats, really how strong is the strongest man on earth in comparison?) But in improving my infrastructure, I want better butter for my pancakes, I need to make a better churn, grow better crops raise better cows etc etc etc.. So far, Seasons has slowed or stopped much of that progression. Do I need to see hourly progression? No, but a bit a day, every day would be nice.

Keeps on truckin' and hopin' that things will work out,

you enjoy grinding quality that grows endless?
(edit. i guess in a casual mindset grinding quality could be fun. )
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Oddity » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:33 am

MagicManICT wrote:
discospaceman wrote:More content is the answer, and this is something the devs really aren't focusing on

Aren't they? What is this "content" you think they're not creating? Theme park rides? Or means of emergent player interactions? Do you really know what it takes to create content--the background tools and required mechanics? How quickly do you expect a team of two to get such things done when other "successful MMOs" have teams of dozens, if not hundreds, working on them?

A combat system is content, which is one of their current focuses, because it allows players to interact with the environment (hunting) and each other (other than via chat and drawing dick pics in the dirt). A client with a good user interface is content (because without that, you won't be playing the game). Seasons, that were just implemented, is content, though not one you can hop on and take a joy ride like a dungeon.

Let's face it, they have no plans in the works to create systems to enable emergent player interactions. Not just because it's too much work for 2 people, but it's probably not even really on their minds.

As you say, "a combat system is content, which is one of their current focuses" — They're working on re-inventing the combat system for the 10th or so time in about as many total Worlds we've had. What do you think this one will change? Each system they've tried is always basically the same, except for some new confusion to figure out and then you're basically back to how it's always been.

I'd love to hear everyone's ideas about creating emergent gameplay / player interactions though, but I'm not sure I want to bother making a thread for it yet :)
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:05 am

Oddity wrote:As you say, "a combat system is content, which is one of their current focuses" — They're working on re-inventing the combat system for the 10th or so time in about as many total Worlds we've had. What do you think this one will change? Each system they've tried is always basically the same, except for some new confusion to figure out and then you're basically back to how it's always been.

I'm not doing a whole historical analysis of the problem, but I think a quick summary is thus: One person suggests improvements, and in a way, it would be improvements. However, to implement, one aspect of the game has to be fundamentally changed, and there is a great uproar by the gallery. Every time it has been this way. In my opinion, the bullet is just going to have to be bitten, the short plank must be walked off of, etc. It's liable to upset half the users and they'll walk away, but it'll be for the better (or one can hope).

And to note, there's only been three combat systems from jorb and loftar (not counting Salem): Legacy, W8-W9, W9-now. (believe it was mid part of world 9 when the last changes were made. There have been two or three attempts at smart siege systems, all in the last couple of years. W7 and earlier, it was all bug raiding and maybe you'd see someone camp a ram 24 hours. And then, it wasn't a siege, it was just mass destruction for the sake of destruction.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Potjeh » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:12 am

All combat systems have felt the same because all of them were almost entirely decided by character stats. And as long as infinite power creep is a thing, any new combat system is going to be pointless waste of devhours.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby truckkun » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:45 am

Hate the whole feeding animals experience, winter got them starving, by Spring I was like screw it idgaf anymore.
Maybe next world I'll try joining a village with someone who don't mind feeding animals (perhaps with a good script) instead of just hermitting.
truckkun

Postby jordancoles » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:52 pm

truckkun wrote:Hate the whole feeding animals experience, winter got them starving, by Spring I was like screw it idgaf anymore.
Maybe next world I'll try joining a village with someone who don't mind feeding animals (perhaps with a good script) instead of just hermitting.

Custom clients with decent farming scripts went down before winter hit and now that it's over I'm in the same boat

They can starve I don't care
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar