Your opinion about seasons

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Your opinion about seasons

Postby Ants » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:56 pm

I love them, but some things about them definitely need fixing. You only need to look at the "why did you quit the game" poll to see that players hate tedium. https://strawpoll.com/z382e3bc

Here's what's been bothering me:
- You can get quests that can't be completed until 20-30 real life days later. That shouldn't happen.
- 20 days is too long to wait for tree seeds. Maybe different trees could bear seeds during different seasons and underground trees could bear seeds all year long?
- Leaves should come back faster. How come we can't harvest mulberry leaves in spring? :?
- There's nothing to do in winter. We need forageables, dungeons, winter exclusive crops, stuff like that. Otherwise, every winter we're going to get a wave of people quitting. This issue in particular needs fixing before next world imo.
- Snow makes the map really confusing to look at. We should be able to toggle it on and off.
- It sucks having to clear off snow tiles one by one. We need a way to do it faster.

Archiplex wrote:berries, mushrooms and more are just completely unavailable 20 out of every 60 days.

I'd be fine if they were changed to be 'frozen' versions of berries, mushrooms and whatnot that you had to 'thaw' (leave on an herbalist table or something) to use properly, and just spawned much less regularly, but the fact that for 20 days in a row a ton of content is just missing outright is absolutely dumb.

You can grow mushrooms and berries in pots, no? Do people actually use foraged mushrooms and berries?
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby boreial » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:51 am

I like the Seasons concept, However some suggested changes need to be made:

Bush Nuts/Berries should be at least 1/4 in Winter rather than zero
Either Spindly Tap Root or Nettles should spawn ON top of snow tiles (not hidden by the snow)
World Map should revert automatically (not having to revisit each tile )
Trees should have their growth rates looked into, (Increased growth or seeds sooner, so that there is the possibility to get 3-4 full growths per annum.)
Bush/Tree leaves should quickly return in spring (perhaps Bark as well)
2 or 3 crops should survive winter plantings, (plowing should still clear the snow and break ground for this)

(just a few off the top of my head that need addressing JUST as a beginning)
boreial

Postby boreial » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:53 am

@Ants,

Imagine you are starting a new world, days before winter, seeds, berries, nuts, mushrooms. All become very important to be able to find.
boreial

Postby borka » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:58 am

boreial wrote:@Ants,

Imagine you are starting a new world, days before winter, seeds, berries, nuts, mushrooms. All become very important to be able to find.

Code: Select all
Winter is coming ... harsh time for foraging ...
Are you shure you want to create a new character now?
Press ok to start

On the other hand new players starting at that seasons open some new opportunities in friendly player interaction ... isn't much different from giving a hand to questers nowadays
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby Ants » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:51 am

boreial wrote:@Ants,

That could be solved by adding winter exclusive forageables to replace the ones that spawn during other seasons.

Amanda44 wrote:Also, as both of the others have said, 20 days is far too long to wait for seeds, certain forageables and for the completion of quests, added to that is the impact it has had on treeplanting.

The forageables thing could probably be solved by stockpiling before what you need is out of season or trading. If the game was more active, I imagine people would sell seasonal forageables.

Imo, "bring seasonal forageable to some tree" is an acceptable quest. The ones that are not ok are "plant crop during winter" or "pick forageable that won't be available for 20 more days" since those can't be completed at all without waiting.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby Vigilance » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:01 am

fine with them purely as aesthetic but tying any gameplay mechanics to them is just fucking stupid.

imagine starting the game in winter lol
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby Granger » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:15 pm

borka wrote:
Winter is coming ... harsh time for foraging ...
Are you shure you want to create a new character now?
Press ok to start

Do not play this game

[OK]

dosn't sound like a good answer.

KwonChiMin wrote:but implementing them in the middle of the world was kinda fail...ish.

Better than to have a new world now with seasons and that being a borked beyond repair experience for everyone.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Kamil457 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:50 am

So you like winter because winter has potential but you do not like current winter. I think next winter and spring will be same. My small idea for next update is paved tiles cannot be snowed same like dirt road.
Kamil457

Postby yozzik111 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:03 pm

I like absolutely everything about seasons. In general, they change the game itself, so if it was intended, if that was the goal, it is perfectly (almost perfectly, mkay) done.

It is fun to read those posts about "we don't get farming resources for 10 days" from people who have big farms and produce/consume ridiculous amounts of resources. Yes, you have to slow down or change your production pipelines.
But that's life and whatever you make for people, they will say you did it in a wrong/unexpected way.
Wengdalf, gurbibal master, drunken hunter, the thief of Constantinopol, he who never died of man`s hand, son of Severin, grandson of Yozz, Yozzik. Also an owl.

P.S. More nice hats please!
yozzik111

Postby tyrtix » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:44 pm

funny, after all at the top of the poll there are, with over 100 votes, infinite stat grinding, too tedious and hunger system (wich reflects itself in the first question, infinite stat grinding...).
A lot of people said in the forum that stat cap failed, but it seems that they're, again, the most vocal one. Seasons need polishing but they go into the direction of making different levels of play in game, and in fact may remove some of the tedium by giving us different things to do by time... thou this needs some more implementations.
Atm i think it's way too early to say if seasons are good or bad, let's get some more options on that and we'll see what happens.
tyrtix

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar