ChromeBook(AUE): What you need to know before buying one.

General discussion and socializing.

Re: ChromeBook(AUE): What you need to know before buying one

Postby shubla » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:06 pm

borka wrote:
shubla wrote:I don't want to be one that pays for updates for MINORITY of people who are using same computer for 10 years.

You don't have to pay for me running Linux on my 2005 build T43 ... so what ?!? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did you read any text in this thread?
The thread is about google not giving auto updates to old chromebooks.
My message was referring to me not wanting to pay google to make updates for them, as there are only a few people still using them.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:40 pm

shubla wrote:My message was referring to me not wanting to pay google to make updates for them, as there are only a few people still using them.

yeah, and is why Microsoft has eventually quit supporting old operating systems. Win 7 has become the first real exception to that because so many systems aren't ready to upgrade to Win 10 based software, and is doing so via a paid service. How long this will last, I don't know. Of course, Microsoft only has themselves to blame for making radical changes to the way the operating system works.

mvgulik wrote:I kinda disagree on that. See "Colin Jones" comments on the cloudready link/page.

I'll check it out. It's been a while since I perused Apple's EULA, and I havent read through the Chromebook one, had just seen other tech articles mentioning this as part of the issues with buying a Chromebook.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby borka » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:19 am

Honestly we all pay for working hardware thrown in the bin for software reasons ... and while i known mr shubla isn't capable of thinking around the corner i'm sure some got the hint of using a Linux Distribution on AUE chromebooks to keep them working ... and btw. for the price of cloudy SaaS googlehooks you'll get pretty decent refurbished notebooks ...
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby mvgulik » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:51 pm

Let me take this opportunity to give a little update on the Chromebook that I, on occasion, use. (not mine)

After it stopped updating it has accumulated some additional features, which I never had seen before.
- Opening links in a new tab can regularly fail. It still opens a new tab, but without the needed url.
- It also has acquired the habit of major crashing. ie: multiple parts(browser extensions) going belly up at the same time.
- (it also likes to drop back to the main login screen while using it. Although that seems more bad hardware (switch or something) related as it did that from the start.)
Needles to say that the fact that by now its using/running an older Cromer-bowser version might have something to do with these new features ... but no updates also means no more browser version updates.
From a security point of view its now also untrustworthy in my view. For something that is sold(advertised) as "the ultimate security" computer that is kinda funny.

There seem to be some alternative OS options for Chromebooks, ... the last time I looked. But that's not my cup of tea, linux stuff and such.
mvgulik

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:08 am

I miss the old Google when the corporate mantra was "Don't be evil." They'd have never produced such drek.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby iamahh » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:46 pm

if I had the option you 1st world ppl had I'd buy something like System76... thats the kind of tech deserves some wallet support
iamahh

Postby shubla » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:30 pm

iamahh wrote: like System76...

Is their build quality good? Specs seem ok but tells nothing about materials, durability feel etc. (and keyboard, most importantly)
I'm using thinkpads and wonder if there are alternatives.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:10 pm

iamahh wrote:if I had the option you 1st world ppl had I'd buy something like System76... thats the kind of tech deserves some wallet support

To be fair, I'm living in the US and can't afford to upgrade an outdated AMD system unless I can find good parts for cheap (when I say cheap, I mean under $20 US more often than not). Even in first world countries, disposable income for thousands of dollars in computer gear, be it phones, desktops, laptops, or otherwise, is still a luxury, either by having "that job" or lifestyle choices (no kids yet, living in the right places, etc etc).
MagicManICT

Postby algorithm » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:55 pm

AUE is prohibited in Russia. You will go to jail for using this 3 letters and this website will be banned because of them. Stop and delete this thread. ¦]
algorithm wrote:Cape awarded? ;)

jorb wrote:Oh, for sure. Delivery 2022. ;)
algorithm

Postby iamahh » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:08 pm

about System76, only saw a review on youtube, liked idea, not cheap but seems fair, and they added some long term payment model
iamahh

Previous

Return to The Inn of Brodgar