ChromeBook(AUE): What you need to know before buying one.

General discussion and socializing.

ChromeBook(AUE): What you need to know before buying one.

Postby mvgulik » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:48 am

Just in case for those not knowing this yet.

"Every Chrome device receives regular updates from Google until it reaches its Auto Update Expiration (“AUE”) date, listed below, subject to support from component manufacturers. When a device reaches AUE, automatic software updates from Google will no longer be provided."
support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366

www.laptopmag.com/articles/chromebook-6-years-expiration

---

For those that found out the hard way.
how-to-get-chrome-os-updates-on-chromebook-after-aue-automatic-update-expiration-date-cloudready (make sure to browse the commends for additional info when your thinking about trying this.)
Last edited by mvgulik on Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
mvgulik

Re: ChromeBook(AUE): What you need to know before buying one

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:13 am

Thanks for the informational post. Yeah, I had noticed this back when they came out. it's not any different than Apple, and for that matter, not much different than Windows based systems. I never thought I'd call Microsoft "the good guy" in the PC wars, but at least they support older versions of Windows for longer than they probably should (probably due to the sheer number of corporate installs that require legacy support).

Side note: When I first glanced at this, I thought it was a Chromebook spam post. :oops:
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby mvgulik » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:21 am

it's not any different than Apple

I kinda disagree on that. See "Colin Jones" comments on the cloudready link/page.

MagicManICT wrote:Side note: When I first glanced at this, I thought it was a Chromebook spam post. :oops:

lol ... Can relate to that. :)
mvgulik

Postby jorb » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:12 am

I came here expecting to ban a spambot. Might want to make the title sound less like a clickbait ad.

As regards the actual topic: Scummy company is scummy.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby vatas » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:45 am

I also thought it was a spambot at first glance.

To play devil's advocate, producing software updates isn't free and not necessarily even cheap. Older hardware may struggle with new versions. I was going to say that some people have even received payouts after they were forced to update to win10 and it didn't work but it was more about the "forced to update" part which was absolutely scummy. Before the lawsuits were made, pressing X on the "please update to win10" notification was counted as consent to update.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby wonder-ass » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:16 am

it used to be pashion and love over money. now its money over pashion and love.
really upsetting seeing games and companies going full on greed and ruining something great they had to get more revenue out of it.
Last edited by wonder-ass on Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby shubla » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:47 am

I think that it's a good thing.
6½ years is a very good age for a laptop.
Especially as chromebooks are quite inexpensive.

Supporting people using ancient hardware causes way too many problems.. And is just retarded usage of time and money. (for example, this game)

I don't want to be one that pays for updates for MINORITY of people who are using same computer for 10 years.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby borka » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:37 pm

shubla wrote:I don't want to be one that pays for updates for MINORITY of people who are using same computer for 10 years.

You don't have to pay for me running Linux on my 2005 build T43 ... so what ?!? :lol: :lol: :lol:
borka

Postby mvgulik » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:23 pm

Can't disagree that the title has a spam/click-bait feel to it.
But I also feel its pretty on topic.

Gave it some though ... an came up with:
"ChromeBook's - Auto Update Expiration. (WhatYouNeedToKnowAbout)" (with 1 character space to spare)
But that one feels a bit to blend to me in relation to the fact that Chromebook advertisements are not forthcoming in that Chromebook's come with a AUE expiration date.
Besides ... it kinda already passed the spam control. ;)

On the remarks that this AUE practice is money related ... of course it is. But that's not the whole story (See "Colin Jones" comments on the cloudready link/page in Initial post.)
My main issue in this with Chromebook's is simple that this AUE is completely hidden for the normal consumer, while Chromebooks are advertised as being a better secure alternative to other computer systems (while hiding the fact that this AUE security feature is only for a limited time). And that to me is just an other form of scamming consumers.

And that is why I, for example, will not buy a Cromebook (new or old) until that particular information issue is fixed.
(Which is somewhat of a bummer, as I could do with some upgrade that allows me to play HnH with more than 10 fps ... around 1 fps it seems if there a lit Fireplace nearby. :cry: )

... Seems Shubla is on auto pilot mode again (debt always has a way of settling its score. And it don't cares about the consequences. (recycle much ?) ...

(oops. edit local post title back to original)
Last edited by mvgulik on Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
mvgulik

Postby sMartins » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:44 pm

You don't fully comprehend the shubla's fine mind :) nothing is left to chance.

EDIT:

Ops sorry I was pretty sure it was a post of yours shubla :)
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar