"Discounts"

General discussion and socializing.

Re: "Discounts"

Postby dafels » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:56 am

shubla wrote:Recently one large store chain in Finland. (there are basically 2 big ones) has started giving people dynamic discounts.
What I mean by dynamic is that each customer gets different discounts, based on buying behaviour. How are discounts exactly
determined and do people get same amounts of them, no one knows, because the details of how the system works are of course not disclosed.

Most of the places have "shop card" system here, you get some bonus money to spend in the shop if you swipe the card once you buy products, in exchange for the bought product data being connected to your card's profile, but they can fuck off getting data of my shopping habbits, the cards is a scam for the average brainlet consumer. It just collects the data of what you have bought and give discounts based on the products you have purchased previously and I don't think there is any discrimination.

Maybe your data is further sold to Google/Facebook for further ads in a system like this, who knows.

Don't use the shop cards or you will literally turn into a brainlet consumer, the picture for illustration
Also a reminder to use physical currency and crypto as much as possible, the governments and money laundering banks don't respect your privacy.
dafels

Postby AtoB » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:44 pm

vatas wrote:Made me think of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxfkWZPAUg4

I think it's worth a watch in it's entirety, but relevant part's TL;DR: JCPenney hired a new CEO who decided they will stop manipulating customer with fake discounts, even gotten rid of the 9.99$ tags and using 10$ instead. It backfired horribly. People were either so used to the manipulative discounts, or worse, are hardwired to fall for them, that they would rather buy 59,99$ things discounted to 29,99$ than simply buying equivalent 25$ thing.

TL;DR: People are stupid.

The slightly longer version is that the whole economics 'science' is for the toilet as the base assumption of 'people act on rational motives' is false.
AtoB

Postby shubla » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:12 pm

dafels wrote:
shubla wrote:Recently one large store chain in Finland. (there are basically 2 big ones) has started giving people dynamic discounts.
What I mean by dynamic is that each customer gets different discounts, based on buying behaviour. How are discounts exactly
determined and do people get same amounts of them, no one knows, because the details of how the system works are of course not disclosed.

Most of the places have "shop card" system here, you get some bonus money to spend in the shop if you swipe the card once you buy products, in exchange for the bought product data being connected to your card's profile, but they can fuck off getting data of my shopping habbits, the cards is a scam for the average brainlet consumer. It just collects the data of what you have bought and give discounts based on the products you have purchased previously and I don't think there is any discrimination.

Maybe your data is further sold to Google/Facebook for further ads in a system like this, who knows.

Don't use the shop cards or you will literally turn into a brainlet consumer, the picture for illustration
Also a reminder to use physical currency and crypto as much as possible, the governments and money laundering banks don't respect your privacy.

But if you don't get the card you lose like 10€ a month, isn't that a brainlet choice? All the stores have the card so you cannot choose a store without the card.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:34 am

The wise choice is to forego societal bounds. Money is not needed, banks aren't needed. You just grow your own food, don't have to worry about people invading your privacy, and can live by your own rules.

Or you can violate your own privacy by complaining on an "anonymous" internet forum.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Previous

Return to The Inn of Brodgar