Merry Christmas, Birth of the Jesus

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Merry Christmas, Birth of the Jesus

Postby Jalpha » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:21 pm

It would perhaps be better if we were all to nail jewish effigies to wooden crosses and then to take spears and one by one, to jab the effigy with a spear until the straw falls out and a fire can be lit beneath it.

This would be a ritual much more serving of the mindless, brutal ignorance of our species.

On the day of resurrection we could all take drugs that would give us nightmares of the end of the world and scrolls unravelling as punishment for being self centered and deluded liars.

Hosanna!
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:35 pm

u ok, jalpha?
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Jalpha » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:41 pm

I am as bitter and cynicle as always so I suppose so. I am also incredibly disenchanted with the abrahamic religions and interpret scripture with perception instead of submitting to delusion and fantasy.

Just trying to drag people out of the cave and into the light where (once their eyes adjust) a bright new future is visible on the horizon.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:52 pm

Jalpha wrote: I am also incredibly disenchanted with the abrahamic religions and interpret scripture with perception instead of submitting to delusion and fantasy.

As far as mythology goes, Judaism is about the same as all other ancient religions. I just don't want to get into a match about the corruption of Christianity. It's a futile argument, one nobody wins, and one you rarely convert anyone's views on. As I've posted elsewhere, those who want to seek the truth will look.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby GenghisKhan44 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:58 pm

Jalpha wrote:It would perhaps be better if we were all to nail jewish effigies to wooden crosses and then to take spears and one by one, to jab the effigy with a spear until the straw falls out and a fire can be lit beneath it.

This would be a ritual much more serving of the mindless, brutal ignorance of our species.

On the day of resurrection we could all take drugs that would give us nightmares of the end of the world and scrolls unravelling as punishment for being self centered and deluded liars.

Hosanna!

Well, if it makes you feel any better, Jalpha, I don't particularly think religion is a good commentary about the human species.

It's a sign that we really are screwed up - mindless, brutal, and ignorant, as you say! - and we are powerless to change things by sheer fiat.
Again, remember, it was the supposedly holy and God-fearing Jews who put Jesus on the Cross, and the supposedly just authority of the Romans that condemned him to die and that nailed him to the Cross.

The Cross is ultimately a sign of victory. But among other victories, it is a victory over human incompetence and our own hatred of our own well-being.
I mean that your cynicism is right and just, is irritatingly lost on many Christians, and many Christians today do not really take seriously how screwed up the human race is and how utterly, radically, and impossibly it needs to change in order to even meet the standard of goodness.

I think you and I agree on that, Jalpha. I think it is the only sane way to understand the idea of original sin. And I don't think you need scripture to believe in original sin. It's in the news every god damned day.

I think we only differ in that you believe the human race could ever pull itself up by its bootstraps.
"...the dungeon and shackles are already at my threshold to show me here and now my eternal disgrace. Only you can work the miracle to make life possible for a soul so imperiled by doubt, O Atoner for all, exalted beyond saying." - St. Gregory of Narek, Book of Lamentations, Prayer 1.

You are much loved! Love in return!
GenghisKhan44

Previous

Return to The Inn of Brodgar