Merry Christmas, Birth of the Jesus

General discussion and socializing.

Merry Christmas, Birth of the Jesus

Postby shubla » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:49 am

It is Christmas, often it is celebrated in many countries. In Finland, Christmas (like almost every other special occasion) is celebrated on the eve. Day before the actual day. Usually people eat certain types of foodstuffs during christmas. One popular and traditional food that most Finns eat during christmas is rice porridge. Not the asian style, but Finnish style. Finnish style rice porridge is made from rice and milk, which are boiled in the cauldron for around an hour, until it gets porridge-like consistency. Then some sugar and cinnamon are added.

Some other things that many Finns do during Christmas (24th day):
On the morning, they eat rice porridge as mentioned above. Also some traditional programs, mainly aimed for children come from TV, cartoons, and most importantly "Santa Clauses hotline" which is broadcasted live. Children make calls to the Santa Claus, sing for him, express merry christmas etc.
At midday, "christmas peace" is declared in the old capital of Finland, Turku. Very popular tradition, hundreds of years old, gets broadcasted on TV. Was forced to watch it every single christmas. Don't really watch it anymore.
After that many go to "christmas sauna".
As the evening approaches comes the main feast. Christmas ham, potato/carrot/swede casserole, fish and fish roe among other things, but there is a lot of variation in some of these, for example, some eat lutefish.

There are some other things as well like christmas-service at church but not that many go to church anymore.

Is birth of the Jesus celebrated in your country? Like comment and share below!!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Re: Merry Christmas, Birth of the Jesus

Postby Ancaladar » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:31 am

shubla wrote:Christmas ham, potato/carrot/swede casserole,

I wasn't aware you put Swedes in your casseroles, that seems a little inhumane to me but whatever floats your boat :lol:

Anyways, our Christmas tradition is pretty simple, mostly family oriented with gift giving in the morning/afternoon and a hearty dinner in the evening. This year we had everything on Christmas Eve though, since two of our family members came down to visit a day early. I guess tomorrow will just be relaxation, heh.
Ancaladar

Postby SumFaggotPlayTester » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:11 am

The tradition for Christmass carries heavily in the US since we basically bastardized every Euro culture in one way or another. I know in the midwest green bean casserole is a big holiday one. Seems everyone makes it around Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. Our family usually does so with a meat dish. Usually smoked/baked turkey, honey ham, or the simple all time favorite of pork ribs. Otherwise its wheat beer, gouda & edam cheese, and buttery smooth crackers. Outside of that I guess we just watch the giant Snoopy balloon on the TV then turn the television off. Lazing around enjoy the time off drinking and chatting is the main focus.

Your Christmas sauna sounds nice though. Sounds better than the rubberized tarp suana I go with when ice fishing. Makes catching winter fatty catfish more enjoyable running out in freezing snow in your underwear when the bell on the line rings. Downside is you either bring the wood or chop it before setting up the holes to lure.

Ancaladar wrote:
shubla wrote:Christmas ham, potato/carrot/swede casserole,
I wasn't aware you put Swedes in your casseroles, that seems a little inhumane to me but whatever floats your boat :lol:

Sounds like a family tradition I can get behind. All I need to do is bring a cheese grater to Sweden and shave a bit off every person right? If so booking a flight now to try this delicious casserole. Remember: as long as you don't eat human brain the rest of the body is pretty safe to consume. Unless they have AIDs that is.
loftar wrote:On the other hand, there's also a case to be made that we're all faggots down here and all deserve to be treated as such and that we all just revel in that anyway.

Quit letting companies make free shekels off of you; install UBlock today. Or better yet kick Google in the balls and install AdNauseam.
SumFaggotPlayTester

Postby overtyped » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:20 am

shubla wrote:It is Christmas, often it is celebrated in many countries. In Finland, Christmas (like almost every other special occasion) is celebrated on the eve. Day before the actual day. Usually people eat certain types of foodstuffs during christmas. One popular and traditional food that most Finns eat during christmas is rice porridge. Not the asian style, but Finnish style. Finnish style rice porridge is made from rice and milk, which are boiled in the cauldron for around an hour, until it gets porridge-like consistency. Then some sugar and cinnamon are added.

Some other things that many Finns do during Christmas (24th day):
On the morning, they eat rice porridge as mentioned above. Also some traditional programs, mainly aimed for children come from TV, cartoons, and most importantly "Santa Clauses hotline" which is broadcasted live. Children make calls to the Santa Claus, sing for him, express merry christmas etc.
At midday, "christmas peace" is declared in the old capital of Finland, Turku. Very popular tradition, hundreds of years old, gets broadcasted on TV. Was forced to watch it every single christmas. Don't really watch it anymore.
After that many go to "christmas sauna".
As the evening approaches comes the main feast. Christmas ham, potato/carrot/swede casserole, fish and fish roe among other things, but there is a lot of variation in some of these, for example, some eat lutefish.

There are some other things as well like christmas-service at church but not that many go to church anymore.

Is birth of the Jesus celebrated in your country? Like comment and share below!!

Christmas came before jesus though. It's like if I named myself christ and then claimed christmas was named after me lol, which is what christians kinda did.
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby shubla » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:45 am

Just came to post that Swedish christmas-chocolate-boxes seems to be superior when compared to Finnish.
First of all, the box has a little cardboard hook that keeps it shut! Finnish boxes never have any hooks.
Second, it has a cool stamp "BY APPOINTMENT OF HIS MAJESTY THE KING OF SWEDEN", Finland doesn't even have a king to certify our chocolates!
Third, texture is good and taste is superior when compared to Finnish christmas-chocolates.
Can't believe how much money I've wasted buying those bland Finnish chocolates which all taste the same!
The product in question is "Marabou - Paradis" in case that anyone wonders!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
shubla

Postby GenghisKhan44 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:27 pm

I had the good fortune to be part of a community this year rather than just with my family. I sang twice - for Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve and for Christmas Day Mass 12 hours later. I sang well. We did many Christmas pieces that are well-known among American Christians like "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" or "O Little Town of Bethlehem" - but they prefer using rarer tunes for them when they can. Christmas Day we sang some hymns, but also a lot of Gregorian chant. But in English. It's very difficult and took a lot of practise. I'm glad I have skill enough to do it, but Gregorian chant is something my friends like. I am indifferent to it.

I did enjoy that I got to solo the "Christmas Proclamation" just before Mass began, though a simpler one than the one linked here. By this we remember this is no mere myth, but that God was conceived and born in time and space, at a real point in history, when Augustus Caesar ruled the Roman Empire and Rome was over 750 years old. It is an unusual piece; it would be like writing a patriotic hymn about the Declaration of Independence with the lines "In the sixteenth year of the reign of King George III, the 561st year of the writing of the Magna Carta, one-hundred and fourty-four years from the birth of John Locke", and then reading the preamble. I like the Christmas Proclamation and wish more patriotic and devotional music of that sort was written. I like anchoring what I love in history. History is one big, interconnected story.

At any rate, the Mass otherwise being what it always was, is, and will be, Christmas celebrations on Christmas Day were wonderful. We started by opening gifts, of course. Then we had guests over at three for dinner. Goose and prime rib roast and some sides, many appetizers and wine. The food was good and so was the wine. What I was really happy about was that my sister and mother came. It's been years since we've been able to be at a nice Christmas with many friends. My sister and mother both told me how happy they were to go. Considering how rarely I hear from either of them, I feel deeply happy they loved it that much. Three well-spent hours talking, eating, and drinking in a beautiful, well-decorated house with good friends and for once my family. A very satisfying Christmas Day celebration indeed. :)
"...the dungeon and shackles are already at my threshold to show me here and now my eternal disgrace. Only you can work the miracle to make life possible for a soul so imperiled by doubt, O Atoner for all, exalted beyond saying." - St. Gregory of Narek, Book of Lamentations, Prayer 1.

You are much loved! Love in return!
GenghisKhan44

Postby Granger » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:16 pm

shubla wrote:Can't believe how much money I've wasted buying those bland Finnish chocolates which all taste the same!

Looks like you have found a nice business opportunity.

PS:milk rice with sugar and cinnamon is very nice. I suggest to try it with some additional applesauce, which IMHO fits nicely in flavor.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Jalpha » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:52 pm

In just over three months we will celebrate his slaughter! A short life he had, but rich!
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby shubla » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:51 pm

Jalpha wrote:In just over three months we will celebrate his slaughter! A short life he had, but rich!

Cannot wait!!
shubla

Postby GenghisKhan44 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:40 pm

Jalpha wrote:In just over three months we will celebrate his slaughter! A short life he had, but rich!

Indeed.
And the kids will be hunting for eggs laid by bunnies.
"...the dungeon and shackles are already at my threshold to show me here and now my eternal disgrace. Only you can work the miracle to make life possible for a soul so imperiled by doubt, O Atoner for all, exalted beyond saying." - St. Gregory of Narek, Book of Lamentations, Prayer 1.

You are much loved! Love in return!
GenghisKhan44

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar