"Your choices matter"

General discussion and socializing.

"Your choices matter"

Postby vatas » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:29 pm

So for some reason, I don't remember exactly I went ahead to Google Amazon's upcoming MMORPG "New World" and clicked on recent video by TheLazyPeon and almost all the top comments are about the phrase in the title being a massive red flag. The main reason why people are up and arms about it is that it's been used in games that have big overarching stories with developers claiming player's choices would impact it. However with thousands of players, all dropping in and out, how do you do that? Anthem comes to mind, seeing how Bioware was desperate to capitalize on their fame for creating narrative-driven masterpieces.

This got me thinking. Jorbtar haven't even attempted to create any sort of storyline, fully embracing the sandbox nature of the game. Does your choice matter when playing Haven & Hearth? Of course you can answer yes, if nothing else for the fundamental choice of playing the game or not.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Re: "Your choices matter"

Postby Lyrroth » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:33 pm

haven is a game where players are what creates stories if it does happen.
as for big games it is easy. either for mmos decisions are very temporal or decided by the % of people doing one of two
Lyrroth

Postby GenghisKhan44 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:20 pm

Of course my choice matters. My choices determine the kind and the amount of loot looters will have when my claim runs out.

Occasionally, though, when I do run into someone, my tendency to prefer diplomacy and society usually means I have a good, short friendship with someone I wouldn't have met otherwise. So I hopefully have an impact on them, and they a good impact on me. I think that's a choice that matters.
"...the dungeon and shackles are already at my threshold to show me here and now my eternal disgrace. Only you can work the miracle to make life possible for a soul so imperiled by doubt, O Atoner for all, exalted beyond saying." - St. Gregory of Narek, Book of Lamentations, Prayer 1.

You are much loved! Love in return!
GenghisKhan44

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:56 am

All choices matter. Sometimes the choice is no more important than a single plankton floating along in the ocean, sometimes it's the proverbial butterfly. In once case, you're merely supporting something more important, in another, you're possibly changing the world.

To put it in math terms: even the most minute statistical anomalies can add up to a complete disruption of a system.

Make that choice, always. Making no choice or ignoring an issue is effectively turning yourself into a plankton.

As far as New World goes... it's going to go about as well as anyone else has who has made that claim. It's going to come down to the PvP quality, and the quality of the grind to enable PvP.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Return to The Inn of Brodgar