Coronavirus

The Place Where Bad Threads Go To Die.

Re: Coronavirus

Postby kirion » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:56 am

azrid wrote:Any early naysayers in here yet? How ya feeling about your opinions?
Over half a million dead.

My expectations were already low

but HOLY FUCK
kirion

Postby shubla » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:09 am

I'm still a bit skeptical if this gives the right to pretty much ruin months (year(s)?) of peoples lives by restrictions.
The statistic is about deaths because of coronavirus in finland.
Also over 90% of those who have died in Finland have all had existing chronic illnesses.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby mvgulik » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:11 am

shubla wrote:I'm still a bit skeptical if this gives the right to pretty much ruin months (year(s)?) of peoples lives by restrictions.

That argument only makes sense if one thinks that without restrictions those numbers would not have changes significantly for the worse. (potentially true, as one would have potentially way less reliable dead-by-c19 confirmation data) Ie: That restrictions don't work or have any effect.
And that the medical system would also not have been effected by much higher infection counts. (also potentially true, if one sends those infected just home to sick it out of course)

Finland's dead-by-c19 graph: its large image size is as useful as its data.
mvgulik

Postby Jalpha » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:00 am

Admittedly I am in a certain part of the world and so my perspective is limited. I can say that what I have seen is only old people walking around without masks coughing and spitting in the streets. Probably braindamaged from decades of societal abuse and poor lifestyle habits. Some people get stuck like that and then a virus comes along. Who is to blame.

In other news Australia is having its second wave because a security guard couldn't keep his cock in his pants.

Murders and domestic violence seems to be up back home going by the news.

I have to be honest I'm not seeing much to inspire sympathy or compassion just a bunch of people with low intelligence and low impulse control pretty much getting what they deserve.

The economy is taking an absolute pummelling and it's only going to get worse. We are heading for a global recession and I don't think anyone is taking what that means as seriously as they should be. It is not all bad. I've been watching Amazon and Tesla share prices skyrocket and as I'm sure you all know; all I care about is leaving Earth.

The other positive is hiw much money is being pumped into medical research to look for a vaccine. This is really pushing the technology forward and from what I have been reading some of these research pathways open up oportunities to develop immunological treatments for cancers.

I would sacrifice all of the boomers to develop a cure for cancer.

Be thankful, you could have me as global dictator instead of a pandemic. Then again you foolish plebs would get somebody to blame other than yourselves.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby jordancoles » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:09 pm

I've seen a few reports lately saying that the the antibodies don't stay in your system long after recovering from the virus and the chance for reinfection seems pretty high. I'm not sure what a vaccine can really do to overcome that
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Jalpha » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:31 pm

I think what is more likely is that you can be reinfected but each time your immune system will get better at defending itself until you can be infected, and infectious (potentially) without exhibiting any symptoms. Essentially this is the same as a vaccination each subsequent time you are reinfected. Probably this has to do with the fast rate at which this virus mutates.

If you are not staying in shared accomodation with multiple strangers from all different parts of the world passing through every couple of weeks I seriously doubt you are going to be exposed to multiple different sub-strains of the virus and are unlikely to develop this level of quasi immunity.

Vaccinations should work fine in combination with effective quarantine measures.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby shubla » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:04 pm

mvgulik wrote:
shubla wrote:I'm still a bit skeptical if this gives the right to pretty much ruin months (year(s)?) of peoples lives by restrictions.

That argument only makes sense if one thinks that without restrictions those numbers would not have changes significantly for the worse. (potentially true, as one would have potentially way less reliable dead-by-c19 confirmation data) Ie: That restrictions don't work or have any effect.
And that the medical system would also not have been effected by much higher infection counts. (also potentially true, if one sends those infected just home to sick it out of course)

Finland's dead-by-c19 graph: its large image size is as useful as its data.

That may be true, but currently there is 1 person in hospital icu because of coronavirus in finland, even though there would be capacity for hundreds.
I think that only limit that is meaningful to enforce is the maximum capacity of health care system.
No one even knows if all or some of the current restrictions are effective or if some of them are just waste of time and money.
If the situation gets worse, restrictions can be put back in place.

Current strategy in Finland seems to be to hope that soon there will be some miracle cure or that coronavirus will be completely wiped from earth. But the latter one is not going to happen, and for vaccines/medicines no one knows.
They can't keep up with these restrictions forever.

How many billions of euros more loan can the country take to save few people?
How many social problems worth are those few lives possibly saved by these massive restrictions?

Seems to be much of a political thing.
Would be bad reputation for government to let it spread, even though that may be the best option.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Zentetsuken » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:14 pm

Jalpha wrote:I think what is more likely is that you can be reinfected but each time your immune system will get better at defending itself until you can be infected, and infectious (potentially) without exhibiting any symptoms. Essentially this is the same as a vaccination each subsequent time you are reinfected. Probably this has to do with the fast rate at which this virus mutates.

If you are not staying in shared accomodation with multiple strangers from all different parts of the world passing through every couple of weeks I seriously doubt you are going to be exposed to multiple different sub-strains of the virus and are unlikely to develop this level of quasi immunity.

Vaccinations should work fine in combination with effective quarantine measures.

Somebody phone the scientists and let them know that jalpha thinks vaccinations should work fine.
Zentetsuken

Postby Jalpha » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:22 pm

Doesn't matter what I think. Your government is probably pumping at least as much into a vaccine as mine is.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:32 am

Jalpha wrote:Doesn't matter what I think. Your government is probably pumping at least as much into a vaccine as mine is.

Unfortunately, our government doesn't spend money on such things. They let corporations foot the bill who then charge the world tremendous amounts to get lifesaving medicines.

Now, machines of war, on the other hand... they'll prop up that industry from now until pigs fly.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to Hel