How large is the code base?

General discussion and socializing.

How large is the code base?

Postby Hypnos91 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:29 am

I tried a search on the forum, but I couldn't find anything about it. Since I'm a programming enthusiast I always wonder about the code base magnitude of the games I play. I guess that for an MMO like this, so complex and with a lot of variety, the codebase should be very very large. But how exactly, considering the client, the server and the map generator, and any other tool specifically designed to help with developing (if any)?
Hypnos91

Re: How large is the code base?

Postby Jalpha » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:20 pm

Try asking in The Wizards Tower.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby dafels » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:26 pm

Only loftar knows answer to this question... I also don't see a reason why wouldn't he reveal the size of code base apart from analyzing the code might take off some of the precious dev time...
dafels

Postby Hypnos91 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:35 pm

I would have posted in the The Wizards' Tower but this particular question seems off-topic in any of its sub-forum.

Only loftar knows answer to this question... I also don't see a reason why wouldn't he reveal the size of code base apart from analyzing the code might take off some of the precious dev time...

I really don't want to bother them with unnecessary analysis. I just thought that they had already answered this question somewhere, but I couldn't find the right post :D
Hypnos91

Postby Jalpha » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:42 pm

The devs usually visit some subforums more frequently than others.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby shubla » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:28 pm

Probably huge, because loftar has most likely implemented even memory allocation by himself server side because he just couldn't use the default ones available.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Ysh » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:32 pm

Hypnos91 wrote:I'm a programming enthusiast

You are also programmer, or just enthusiast?
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Burinn » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:37 pm

Software is incredibly small because any size it takes up is constrained by how small the semi-conductors used to store the information are.

Probably a centimeter cubed at the worst.
sabinati wrote:do you expect me to just check the forum constantly, fuck off
Burinn

Postby Hypnos91 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:58 pm

shubla wrote:Probably huge, because loftar has most likely implemented even memory allocation by himself server side because he just couldn't use the default ones available.

Wow, that's wonderful. I didn't know it was possible in Java to do such a low-level programming, but that's because I don't know Java at all

You are also programmer, or just enthusiast?

I can't define myself a programmer, I love programming but I do only small projects for myself in the spare time. And I'm obsessed with lines of code, every week I measure my progress. I know it's a dumb indicator for a software, it can't measure the complexity and other stuffs, but I'm bewitched by quantitive measurements

Burinn wrote:Software is incredibly small because any size it takes up is constrained by how small the semi-conductors used to store the information are.

Probably a centimeter cubed at the worst.

:D :D :D
Hypnos91

Postby Ysh » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:01 pm

Hypnos91 wrote:
shubla wrote:Probably huge, because loftar has most likely implemented even memory allocation by himself server side because he just couldn't use the default ones available.

Wow, that's wonderful. I didn't know it was possible in Java to do such a low-level programming, but that's because I don't know Java at all

Server is written in C, only client is java.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar