It's a shame.

General discussion and socializing.

It's a shame.

Postby ChevalNervous » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:46 pm

Hi there,

I have started playing a few weeks ago and I must say that the game is really fun and addictive but here's what I don't get:

The philosophy behind PVP and PermaDeath.

My friend just got KO'ed by gankers and then they blocked him to ensure he drowned and died.
What is the point of this? I'm trying to understand the philosophy here and to grasp why would the devs of this game want this kind of thing to happen?

Why would you want players to Rage quit ?
Why would you want the population to go down instead of going up ?
Why would you want your revenues to go down instead of going up ?

The game is amazing but the PVP makes 0 sense. While I agree that there should be rewards for downing players, it shouldn't mean Game Over for the player getting ganked/killed.
How about something like losing 1-5 all stats when you die instead of losing HUGE amount of progess or having to quit ?
The PKers already get to loot you and i'm sure they would rather be able to kill you again than to see you quit the game, no?

I am new here and i'm trying to understand ? Is my journey here already over?
ChevalNervous

Re: It's a shame.

Postby xdragonlord18 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:56 pm

ChevalNervous wrote:What is the point of this? I'm trying to understand the philosophy here and to grasp why would the devs of this game want this kind of thing to happen?

I've got bad news for you: the developers do not consider the game holistically when designing systems for the game. This kind of thing happens because they don't even know what they want the game to look like. They design on a whim.
Ysh wrote:You all forget that bucket is include. I think with bucket it is fair price.
xdragonlord18

Postby yozzik111 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:59 pm

So you guys started playing this game while knowing it has permanent death. You might even thought it is fun.
But, as it always turns out, risky things are fun until they happen to you and not someone else. And then you start bargaining or just rage quit.
What I mean is git gud, be a man, take your risks and realise we're not that far to think of your character's death as something serious.
Otherwise, just leave.
Wengdalf, gurbibal master, drunken hunter, the thief of Constantinopol, he who never died of man`s hand, son of Severin, grandson of Yozz, Yozzik. Also an owl.

P.S. More nice hats please!
yozzik111

Postby MightySheep » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:02 pm

95% of deaths in pvp are not perma death now, its actually really hard to perma die, there is only 1 thing still remaining in this game which always perma kills and that is anything to do with water, it kind of seems overlooked tbh especially since its the way most noobs die from my experience

he made a big mistake swimming into the river when he could have just gotten KOd on land
MightySheep

Postby azrid » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:15 pm

Never maneuver yourself to get KO'd in deep water.
Should be common sense even irl.
azrid

Postby ChevalNervous » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:27 pm

yozzik111 wrote:So you guys started playing this game while knowing it has permanent death. You might even thought it is fun.
But, as it always turns out, risky things are fun until they happen to you and not someone else. And then you start bargaining or just rage quit.
What I mean is git gud, be a man, take your risks and realise we're not that far to think of your character's death as something serious.
Otherwise, just leave.

I was under the impression that If I didn't train the PVP skill, I couldn't die.

So, avoid water and avoid players, ok.
Do you guys just play this game every day knowing you could lose it all unfairly at any moment?
ChevalNervous

Postby yozzik111 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:41 pm

ChevalNervous wrote:Do you guys just play this game every day knowing you could lose it all unfairly at any moment?

Not to say I live a life full of dangers as a programmer, but look outside - you can lose it all at any moment due to coronashit or anything else. This game is pretty much realistic.
Wengdalf, gurbibal master, drunken hunter, the thief of Constantinopol, he who never died of man`s hand, son of Severin, grandson of Yozz, Yozzik. Also an owl.

P.S. More nice hats please!
yozzik111

Postby Ysh » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:29 pm

ChevalNervous wrote:Do you guys just play this game every day knowing you could lose it all unfairly at any moment?

I consider this cost of doing business. If I am killed I will rebuild. But I am just nab player, so I have not much to lose.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby maze » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:11 pm

Swimming Is death. if he had gotten knocked out on land he would have lived.
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby SumFaggotPlayTester » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:16 pm

Just make foraging alts & quest during low pop for exp. Or grind exp with common tasks every few days. Just having a palisade, or double palisade, prevents 75% of the fuckery that can kill you from happening. You can go as far as just autologging & hearth vaulting all of your valuables if you get spooked. But yes, that is a part of the game. Keeps it interesting as otherwise this is an over-glorified excel number simulator where we all pretend numbers going up is fun. Stat grind go brrr

Think of this as a valuable learning opportunity for you and your friend. Also does not hurt to have copies of things you like to use outside of your pal. Hearthvault shit like that for your alts and you'll find this game piss easy if you want to avoid PVP.
loftar wrote:On the other hand, there's also a case to be made that we're all faggots down here and all deserve to be treated as such and that we all just revel in that anyway.

Quit letting companies make free shekels off of you; install UBlock today. Or better yet kick Google in the balls and install AdNauseam.
SumFaggotPlayTester

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar