Postby Liamo360Gbuz » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:35 pm

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44710

If you're curious on the devs thoughts.
Swedge
Liamo360Gbuz

Re: It's a shame.

Postby loleznub » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:32 pm

ChevalNervous wrote:
yozzik111 wrote:So you guys started playing this game while knowing it has permanent death. You might even thought it is fun.
But, as it always turns out, risky things are fun until they happen to you and not someone else. And then you start bargaining or just rage quit.
What I mean is git gud, be a man, take your risks and realise we're not that far to think of your character's death as something serious.
Otherwise, just leave.

I was under the impression that If I didn't train the PVP skill, I couldn't die.

So, avoid water and avoid players, ok.
Do you guys just play this game every day knowing you could lose it all unfairly at any moment?

It's not about unfair vs. fair, it's about the learning curve. There are a lot of things that many players don't know and will die to. That's why you should actively seek mentors to teach you mechanics of the game.

In this case, you died because you didn't know the mechanics of swimming and being KO'd even though this has been the #1 killer of noobs in PVP for the past like 2 or 3 worlds.

If you have questions, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help you.
loleznub

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:51 pm

ChevalNervous wrote:Do you guys just play this game every day knowing you could lose it all unfairly at any moment?

I won't say "every day," but for 10 years now... yes. It's something I've missed since the early 90s. No, the game isn't perfect, and isn't bug free, but all those AAA MMOs have lacked something that I experienced back then.

I played EVE for several years, and it came close to the MUDs I played, but still missed the mark. The thing it lacked? Community. Love or hate each other, everyone comes together to be buddies or mortal enemies, and you can know who is with or after whom if you watch close enough. In WoW, EVE, etc? You might be familiar with the different guilds, alliances, and such, but you really don't get to know anyone outside of your own group.

I've lost count the number of times I've died to bugs or due to "lack of knowledge." I suppose the only advantage I have over many of the others is one of my favorite genres of games are rogue-like RPGs, and I've been playing them since... almost as long as Rogue has been around.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby ChevalNervous » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:50 am

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I can see that most players here enjoy the '' high risk'' aspect of the game and that you all seem to feel that dying and what comes with it is part of the journey.

Ultimately, I think the game would benefit greatly from a better PVP system but I can tell that the players and the devs here feel otherwise.
It's the first time I play a game where the philosophy seems to encourage making it hard for new and solo players while actively destroying the population but oh well? :roll:

If you ask me, the solution is simple enough:
Enable for PvP for everyone with respawn on death. Full Loot and -1/-5 to all stats upon death would be scary enough for players to try to avoid death while giving enough incentive for PKers to hunt all day knowing that there would be alot of players to kill since their targets didn't ragequit the first time they died :roll:

In the end, I joined to play with my friends and I had a blast but if they die and leave i'll just leave as well.
Again, it's a shame because that means a few less players and revenues for your game.

Good Night yall.
ChevalNervous

Postby MightySheep » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:17 am

It's in the description.

When I started in W5 most animals and most players could & would perma kill. If you died with keys on you then you lose your base. Palisade bases could even be raided with a sledgehammers and people got raided all the time with rams and stuff. That was a big part of the appeal to me, its sort of a survival game. A lot of people think it be like stardew valley but it dont

Also your "solution" indicates you didnt really read what people said. There is no perma death in almost all cases, your friend perma died because he swam into the river.
MightySheep

Postby Amanda44 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:33 am

Haven can seem very harsh to a newcomer to the game, you are certainly not the first to voice these opinions and there are also similar views that are held by some of the regular players here. :)

The majority of games which feature permadeath make it a lot easier on the player by not having you invest so much or lose so much on death. Another way around it is for devs to have two servers, pvp and pve. Haven isn't like most other survival games in that regard and does indeed put a lot of potential players off the game. However ... that said, we do get a regular influx of new players that stick with the game, as old players leave for w/e reasons, new players take their place and then there are the constant die-hards such as myself, lol. The devs have made efforts to lesson the effects of death here over the years, as Sheep says it was a lot more punishing in the past.

It may surprise you to know that the majority of the player base actually have no interest in pvp, we stay here, despite the risk, due to the fact that haven offers so much more than the average survival game. The scope of crafting and design is second to none, there are a vast amount of activities in the game which encourage longevity and the game has a wealth of things to discover and a good variety of biomes, including cave levels, which cater well for those explorers. :)

Whilst there is a steep learning curve (and some balancing flaws) there is also light at the end of the tunnel, with more experience comes the availability to better avoid death, there will always be an element of risk but it lessons considerably as you become more familiar with both the mechanics and the game play. Early worlds for example are always more fraught with danger than later when your character has more abilities and the players have settled down.

There is a good community here with a lot of players who will offer both help and encouragement, not everyone is here to kill you on sight. :)

If you can get past the initial disappointment of your first 'unfair' death, or first couple of deaths, lol, and progress further into the game you will soon come to realise that actually it is worth the risk. :D

Good luck moving forwards, I hope you and your friends will live to see another day. ;)
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby ChevalNervous » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:41 pm

I woke up to 5 gankers in my base this morning.

I am 110% done lol, good luck guys!
ChevalNervous

Postby boshaw » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:48 pm

ChevalNervous wrote:I woke up to 5 gankers in my base this morning.

Did you not build walls?
boshaw

Postby Ozzy123 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:48 pm

ChevalNervous wrote:I woke up to 5 gankers in my base this morning.

welcome to Haven&Hearth
epicbuds wrote:just got this game a bad review on my website and will post on every forum and game page i can think of to tell people to stay away from this site this game is a joke

viruseg wrote:Kill all new players for no reason. Polish scum came running and killed me with a crowd. Suck fuck fucks..
Ozzy123

Postby Amanda44 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:01 pm

Welp, that was 15 mins of my time well spent then ... :roll: .. gj haven&hearth.
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar